Galvanized Tin Roof Paint

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1gt0a1ou said:
How much you need ?? PM me your address and I'll send you a couple tubes
I think I need a lot. I appreciate the thought. I'll order up some. The UPS man is my new best friend.

This is what I am getting for paint - Any thoughts? Do you know if it is it functionally equivalent to what you recommended? I see they are both Gardner products, but don't know why they are labeled differently.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... la_9752326

imageprovider.ashx

I have not identified what you meant by "rust stopper". Do you have a brand?

http://store.interstateproducts.com/pro ... gQodzwYFoQ

This type of product is the rust stopper .
If it is just light surface rust the product you posted will work fine by itself but the rust will bleed back thru it in 5 yrs or so. black jack makes a decent product and you should get good results. I highly recommend doing it in 2 light to med coat opposed to one heavy coat . It will look better and seal the roof better

M-5":2icab5s0 said:
http://store.interstateproducts.com/products/Rust_Control/1_step_rust_killer_1gal?gclid=CIPNiPPx9csCFZA2gQodzwYFoQ

This type of product is the rust stopper .
If it is just light surface rust the product you posted will work fine by itself but the rust will bleed back thru it in 5 yrs or so. black jack makes a decent product and you should get good results. I highly recommend doing it in 2 light to med coat opposed to one heavy coat . It will look better and seal the roof better
That is what I am looking for. Is that product propriety to interstate Products. I only see it for sale from them. I am trying to get the stuff through my local re-seller, but they ain't making it easy.

I can't imagine how much of that I may need. I am embarrassed to show my old barn, but I wanted to give you an idea of the magnitude of my undertaking. I have two of these barns. By the way, I have not screwed all that tin down yet..

E93C127B-D6B3-4652-865B-458C9A788851.jpg

Hydrostop makes stable rust. There are several different brands on the market. It will help the the Alum coating protect and last longer. It is not a requirement to use it. By the looks of your barn it would get very expensive to do inhibitor and coating. Too coat it right you need to figure 1.5 gal per sq (100 sq ft) per coating , 3 gal total . based on the pic I'm gonna say it's about 25 sq on that 1 side. Your looking at about 1200 bucks . you need to consider cost of coating vs replacing it. Rough cost on replacing metal on the side I can see would be around 1500 to 1800.

Dash,
I wanted to show you the barn after we painted and caulked with the stuff you recommended. I went through almost 20 five-gallon buckets of paint and over 50 tubes of caulk.

$

M-5":1gsc60uv said:
Looks really good. In about 5 yrs a maintenance coat will keep it in tip top shape
I am going to put another coat on it when it cools down.

I have several white metal barns that are fading and the older ones are starting to show rust. What product would you recommend for them? I was thinking about painting the roofs all green or red with white sides, but didn't know if there was a reason that they were all white.

H.D. - I am impressed with the change in appearance!

Generally, white paint is cheaper than color paints (exception is the old red oxide barn paint). Also light colors reflect heat and darker colors absorb heat.

M-5":2ji16f8y said:
have you got anything in the old corn crib???
why do you hang the top hanger so low on the gate??
I will use it for storing sacks of feed. It has tin walls inside and mesh wire at the top to keep critters out.

No reason on the hanger other than just put it there. Is it too low?

Latest posts