Getting rid of old water and oil based paint?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Our county trash collection point won't take it. I can burn the oil based paint in one of the burn piles I sometimes have but the water based paint is a different problem.
I hate the thought of burying anything but I need to get rid of about 12 gallons of water based paint. (Left over in 5 gallon containers from when this house was built in 2009). I really don't think burying it is possible right now anyway, since any hole I dig or drill would fill with water as I drill it from all the rain induced ground water.
The paint is no good. It, at best, is a clabber and most a thick sludge that won't smoothly mix ever again. 12 years old and has frozen several times over the years.

Any ideas?

around here the landfill will take it after it is dry. I have taken old paint like yours and spread it out on an old canvas that was destine for the landfill anyway. let it out in the sun to dry and dispose of it in landfill if they will take it. you could also burn it if dried on a burnable substance.

DSTH does whats recommended around here. Find a large cardboard box or even a flat piece. Pour out the paint and let dry. Roll it up and put it out for collection.

Dsth, Getting it to dry for the foreseeable future on an old canvas or anything else is not possible as we haven't seen a sunny dry day in weeks and I don't see any 'drying' happening anytime soon either.
As much as I hate to, I may have to pour off the separated water and dump/spread the thick pigment on a stack of mostly rotten crossties and utility poles I intend to burn. They should have enough creosote left in them to burn hot and long for about 24 hours. The pigment won't burn but it will turn into a powdery chalk that mixes invisibly with the ashes from the posts.
I was hoping someone had a better idea
I really don't like to burn anything 'chemical' in nature, or bury it. I refuse to burn old tires, rubber, much plastic stuff or anything like that even tho I live out in the middle of nowhere. I don't mind killing off trees but I do try to take care of the soil, water and air as much as I can. Burning the old posts is not a great idea but it's better than leaving them to rot over a few decades.

There is no 'collection' or trash pickup here. Anything we have to get rid of, I have to take over to the precinct's collection point about 8 miles away and it all has to be in a trash bag, which we throw into a hydraulic or auger type compactor. Can't weigh over 30lbs/bag and can't ooze anything out into their steel container box. They are pretty dang picky about what is put in there. No liquid waste, no dead animals (bagged or otherwise) no animal entrails, no paint, batteries. they don't like large bags of yard waste (leaves/grass) either.

Last edited:
You guys know I'm joking….hazardous waste collection programs happen a couple times a year around here.

Dsth, Getting it to dry for the foreseeable future on an old canvas or anything else is not possible as we haven't seen a sunny dry day in weeks and I don't see any 'drying' happening anytime soon either.
As much as I hate to, I may have to pour off the separated water and dump/spread the thick pigment on a stack of mostly rotten crossties and utility poles I intend to burn. They should have enough creosote left in them to burn hot and long for about 24 hours. The pigment won't burn but it will turn into a powdery chalk that mixes invisibly with the ashes from the posts.
I was hoping someone had a better idea
I really don't like to burn anything 'chemical' in nature, or bury it. I refuse to burn old tires, rubber, much plastic stuff or anything like that even tho I live out in the middle of nowhere. I don't mind killing off trees but I do try to take care of the soil, water and air as much as I can. Burning the old posts is not a great idea but it's better than leaving them to rot over a few decades.

There is no 'collection' or trash pickup here. Anything we have to get rid of, I have to take over to the precinct's collection point about 8 miles away and it all has to be in a trash bag, which we throw into a hydraulic or auger type compactor. Can't weigh over 30lbs/bag and can't ooze anything out into their steel container box. They are pretty dang picky about what is put in there. No liquid waste, no dead animals (bagged or otherwise) no animal entrails, no paint, batteries. they don't like large bags of yard waste (leaves/grass) either.
What do they like GB?

Ken

Ya know it's odd how some people think.
For example...
Guy had an old car with no title. Everyone refused to take it. Couldnt give it away. Guy also had lots of junk no one wanted.

The thought occurs to this man, hmmmm, they impound abandoned vehicles all the time.

Car was loaded with garbage, parked in a no parking zone, and that problem didnt exist 24 hrs later.

Ya know it's odd how some people think.
For example...
Guy had an old car with no title. Everyone refused to take it. Couldnt give it away. Guy also had lots of junk no one wanted.

The thought occurs to this man, hmmmm, they impound abandoned vehicles all the time.

Car was loaded with garbage, parked in a no parking zone, and that problem didnt exist 24 hrs later.
Brilliant!

I know you do a fair amount of different spraying. Curious if you could add it to a tank of herbicide, especially something like roundup where you were looking for a complete kill anyway. Might be like a dye! Need to strain it good to get any particles out.

If it were me, I would add some pine shavings to it to thicken it up and then burn it.

Latest posts