Bees in water troughs

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep put something that floats but just barely above the water so they can use it to land on while still reaching the water

I had boards. But now they go after my chicken waterers. They don't seem to have issues with those. I suppose they can get to the sides.

They are a pita. They really like a trough with some algae on the sides of it but even now, I pull abut 50 of them out of my pool skimmer basket every few days. They fly well but can't swim for S****.

In theory, yes. But they still die with hardware cloth. Likely less but you don't truly know.

Bees only live about 3 weeks after they begin to forage. The dead ones could have been on their last leg to begin with. At least that where my curiosity goes. I look at their wings and see some of them have been beaten down.

This was a great year for bees here in Texas. We've now hit a drought and gone beyond the nectar flow. They are hitting the chicken waterers heavy. I only have six hives.

It's those cheap plastic Queen excluders that fray worker's wings. They have sharp edges. The metal ones are better because the wire in rounded.

Latest posts