What size gravel to put in machinery shed?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What size gravel would you put in a shed for machinery storage? I want to rock a slope around the back and one side of the building to prevent erosion but want to put some gravel in it to avoid just a dirt floor. Would you put dense grade? Or would it sink into the ground too much? I actually thought about what they call 57's here to put a thin layer down inside and around the building then put dense grade on top of it.

Tom,

Everybodies ground is different, so take this with a grain of salt. 57s on my place, won't work for a base. I gotta go big on the bottom, and little on the top. I had some entrances widened, and some roads on hills redone last year. My dozer guy, talked me in to doing it his way, and I haven't been sorry. He packed 23s with his dozer, and we drove on them for a few months. Then we spread 57s, and packed them. I swore by 3s on bottom, and dense grade until then. The 23s seem to work themselves in to a mat of rock. The 57s fall in what pore space there is, and you've got a good smooth surface with a base under it. I'd never heard of a 23 till he brought some. Do what you gotta do, but that way is working for me. Also, we had a mud washing rain about a month ago. I had to have him come redo stuff that had been in place for years. The 57s on 23s didn't even need a grader blade.

Bigfoot":190iot5n said:
Tom,

Everybodies ground is different, so take this with a grain of salt. 57s on my place, won't work for a base. I gotta go big on the bottom, and little on the top. I had some entrances widened, and some roads on hills redone last year. My dozer guy, talked me in to doing it his way, and I haven't been sorry. He packed 23s with his dozer, and we drove on them for a few months. Then we spread 57s, and packed them. I swore by 3s on bottom, and dense grade until then. The 23s seem to work themselves in to a mat of rock. The 57s fall in what pore space there is, and you've got a good smooth surface with a base under it. I'd never heard of a 23 till he brought some. Do what you gotta do, but that way is working for me. Also, we had a mud washing rain about a month ago. I had to have him come redo stuff that had been in place for years. The 57s on 23s didn't even need a grader blade.

I will have to ask the 2 places here about 23's, like you I never heard of them. About what size are they?

Might be just me....but if I were to ever work on the equipment under that shed and have to get down on the ground, I'd want a dirt floor.

They are a blend of 3 different size rocks. The biggest appears to be a 3.

Inside I would use crush & run. Here 57s are clean stone and I hate them on a driveway or parking area. As for outside I have never heard of 23s but they sound like a good product. Here I would use 3s for a base then crush and run on top I hate 57s!!! Definately don't use them as base it will turn to soup and eat your rock up. Also make sure where you put them you cut the topsoil off or you will have a mess.

I always put down 2 inch and then a layer of crusher run thick enough to pack good on top of that. If I can pack it good after it gets a little rain on it it will hold up for years.

Most of the gravel driveways and parking areas I install I use #3's for base and #57's same would be for machine sheds