Shade

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
Im in the process of converting row crop acres to pasture to be rotationally grazed, no shade whatsoever in these fields...

Does anyone provide a moveable shade shelter? Do you really need to worry about it? Will it affect momma cows performance? How about finishing animals?

I have some black cattle now, but have some british whites coming this fall...

July and August get hot and sticky around here...

Just looking for some opinions or experiences...

lukem86":1n81piqt said:
Does anyone provide a moveable shade shelter?

Perhaps this will give you some ideas on how to provide shade for your animals:

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22797

Do you really need to worry about it? Will it affect momma cows performance? How about finishing animals?

They will deal with the heat if they have to, but shade sure helps! It can effect their performance, but how much is going to depend on the breed and the actual temperatures and humidity levels.

Allot of our pastures around here don't have any sort of shade. Sometimes you will notice a lull in your calving at certain times that allot of people blame on the summer heat. It can get quite hot and humid here in the summer. Its quite often you will find cattle in the sloughs and waterholes to get some relief from the heat. Everyone seems to get along just fine.

Try Danials Manufacturing. I think they are in Ainsworth, Nebraska. They have portable shade setups that tip down to be used as windbreak in the Winter.

It will probably affect their performance in the hot summer, and I know I'll get called to the carpet for this, but it will affect the black hided cattle more than the whites.

If you have the resources, I would look into some type of sun shade. I know they are available in your part of the country.. a lot of the dairys use them.

You're in Wisconsin. How hot can it get? Set up your calving season for April and May and don't worry about it.

redangus":1hhjnn51 said:
You're in Wisconsin. How hot can it get? Set up your calving season for April and May and don't worry about it.

Hey man, to a yankee 80 and humid is not tolerable. And by 90 we are melting.

I notice a big difference in the feeding patterns with my cows when it is hot. They only graze early mornings and late evenings. The rest of the time they spend hanging out in the woods cooling off. They seem to drop a few pounds during this time.

HOSS":29qn0z5d said:
I notice a big difference in the feeding patterns with my cows when it is hot. They only graze early mornings and late evenings. The rest of the time they spend hanging out in the woods cooling off. They seem to drop a few pounds during this time.
Due to the tradition of corralling cattle overnight and herding them during the day, the Sanga type from which the Tuli were selected have over 1000 years of selection pressure for daytime grazing in tropical conditions, they have performed on treeless Kalahari grazing,performing both as purebred and F1 females, it all comes down to crossing with adapted breeds to get the best results.

Latest posts