Shade trees

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I live in southwestern Idaho. I'm looking to plant some shade trees. I was wondering if anyone knew of a 'fast growing' shade tree to plant in a pasture. I have adequate access to water.

Thanks

Whatever you plant you'll have to protect it from the livestock. Fruitless mulberry is about the fastest growing tree I know of that will live for very long.

dun is spot on about protecting the tree(s) - cattle & horses will walk a mile through lush grass & clover to eat the top out of a young tree and strip it of its leaves. If it's big enough that they can't eat it to the ground, they'll rub it to pieces.

I can't speak for Idaho; we've been planting a mix of mulberries, pecans, catalpa - all fast-growing and reasonably long-lived, here - as well as bur oak and overcup oak - to provide some shade in paddocks that have none.

Poplar trees are very fast growing, maybe 4-6 feet per year. They tolerate poor soils and are easy to grow.

Western White Pine? Idaho state tree? aren't the lower branches about 8-10 feet off the ground?
Most maple trees grow fast.
I don't know of anyone planting Boxelders, but they are in the maple family and grow well up north in full sun.
Mountain ash is a nice tree, but I don't know that they grow all that fast.

Thanks for the info. We'll have to make sure and protect them when they're getting started.

My b-i-l got a tree from my uncle that is very fast growing--I'll have to call to find out what it is and find out if it's safe for cattle. Large leaves, big blooming flowers of some kind (I'm color blind so I wouldn't know). It is NOT an evergreen and I am not sure if it would withstand an Idaho winter.

Fastest growing tree around here is a Chinese Tallow. You don't want any of them--invasive as heck and on the prohibited list in many states. Satan's own spawn IMO.

The ones that like to grow in your fencelines. :lol: Is funny though how they always seem to voluntarily grow where you don't want them too.

SPH":23qlk3uk said:
The ones that like to grow in your fencelines. :lol: Is funny though how they always seem to voluntarily grow where you don't want them too.

haha. I agree with this.
The only problem with fast growing trees is they tend to blow over easy or break branches when a good gust of wind comes along.

greybeard":22661xu4 said:
Fastest growing tree around here is a Chinese Tallowe.. You don't want any of them--invasive as heck and on the prohibited list in many states. Satan's own spawn IMO.
But the Tallow tree is very pretty, especially for a trash tree.
Willing to give you some, no charge, if you want to come dig them up. :cowboy:

Elm are big and fast growing. They'll be 10'-12' and 2" diameter in one year from seed. They freely self seed and cattle love the leaves. They are messy when they're mature, but get a huge canopy eventually. Don't plant within 60 feet of fence lines. They'll seed at the fence line but the cattle will eat the new growth quickly. You'll need to mow new growth outside the fence line or they'll take over. You'll have a great windbreak but....well... take my word for it, You don't want then within 50 feet of your fence. :cry2:

Latest posts