No shade for cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob":3sginzka said:
Caustic, I know you have fine tuned your management to where you pencill in a profit when many are losing money in the cattle business, your Tigerstripes have served you well, as has the Brahman breed as a whole in the southern states, the only wish on your "wish list" as far as I remember, has been for a little more coat during the worst of the cold weather, not a trait that Sanga breeds would help with, just added heterosis, and possibly an increased conception rate, I always promote these cattle as an ideal F1 damline for commercial ranchers.
@Novatech, the southern Sanga were presumed to be a taurindicus for many years, and we were taught as much at college, the Taurus breeds began migrating from Eqypt about 2500 years before the Indicus breeds appeared in Egypt. Archealogical evidence shows that the pure Taurus arrived south of the Zambezi river 2000 years ago having migrated through the northern deserts, savanna, tropical forests, equatorial forests, southern tropical forest and settled in the bushveld/desert regeons of Southern Africa, havinghad immense selective pressure through severe environments, parasites and many diseases. The Indicus followed resulting in many hybrid typed developing in the north, some tribes retaining their pure Taurus (N'dama for example) and some remaining pure Indicus (Boran for example) the Indicus never reached south of the Zambezi, leaving the breeds there pure adapted Taurus, this was only proven in the 1980's when the Australian government DNA tested these breeds proving them to be pure Taurus. It is a pity that politics prevented these breeds being imported to the USA much sooner, while I don't believe that they will or should replace the Brahman and other available Indicus breeds and composites, I believe they will play an important part in the beef industry in the USA bridging the gap between European Taurus, and Indicus, being complimentary to both in crossbreeding programs, especially as I have mentioned, as fertile, low maintenence damlines with longevity being another popular trait in the crosses and composites.

When looking at Brimmers, and longhorns you have to give it to both breeds for natural selection and surviving in some harsh enviroments. Sounds like Sanga may fill a simular niche.

andybob":3w3pvnb5 said:
Caustic, I know you have fine tuned your management to where you pencill in a profit when many are losing money in the cattle business, your Tigerstripes have served you well, as has the Brahman breed as a whole in the southern states, the only wish on your "wish list" as far as I remember, has been for a little more coat during the worst of the cold weather, not a trait that Sanga breeds would help with, just added heterosis, and possibly an increased conception rate, I always promote these cattle as an ideal F1 damline for commercial ranchers.
@Novatech, the southern Sanga were presumed to be a taurindicus for many years, and we were taught as much at college, the Taurus breeds began migrating from Eqypt about 2500 years before the Indicus breeds appeared in Egypt. Archealogical evidence shows that the pure Taurus arrived south of the Zambezi river 2000 years ago having migrated through the northern deserts, savanna, tropical forests, equatorial forests, southern tropical forest and settled in the bushveld/desert regeons of Southern Africa, havinghad immense selective pressure through severe environments, parasites and many diseases. The Indicus followed resulting in many hybrid typed developing in the north, some tribes retaining their pure Taurus (N'dama for example) and some remaining pure Indicus (Boran for example) the Indicus never reached south of the Zambezi, leaving the breeds there pure adapted Taurus, this was only proven in the 1980's when the Australian government DNA tested these breeds proving them to be pure Taurus. It is a pity that politics prevented these breeds being imported to the USA much sooner, while I don't believe that they will or should replace the Brahman and other available Indicus breeds and composites, I believe they will play an important part in the beef industry in the USA bridging the gap between European Taurus, and Indicus, being complimentary to both in crossbreeding programs, especially as I have mentioned, as fertile, low maintenence damlines with longevity being another popular trait in the crosses and composites.
I have always been intrested in the Sanga breeds. Mostly because of the combination of heat tolerance combined with meat quality. The only thing I would have to disagree with you on is the added heterosis. Taurus X Tarus is never going to equal, much less increase, heterosis over Tarus X Inducus.

Latest posts