Heat...Black...In the Shade

Help Support CattleToday:

Similar to here, we crack 100 at times and the cattle just aren't used to it. It may get that way for a day or 2, but cool nights and never an extended period of it, so the cows just aren't used to heat to start with.

Similar to how I would work outside in a t shirt at 50f but someone from the south would be freezing. Put me in 90* and I'm doggin it.

Muddy":277iqm27 said:
That said, I has yet lost a black cow to the heat. I see more heat stress in Shorthorns than Angus.
May be a humidity thing then....as it is the other way around here. Neighbor has Shorthorn based cattle. Can't say I've ever seen them in a tank. Under the shade for sure, but not being waterbuffalo like the angus.

we dont run any angus type cows at all.all of our herd is beefmaster cross or reg beefmasters.they graze all through the day.if it gets real hot most of the beefmasters will be out grazing.angus cows will hitt the pools or shade till it cools off enough for them to graze.

1982vett":y0inzoth said:
Muddy":y0inzoth said:
That said, I has yet lost a black cow to the heat. I see more heat stress in Shorthorns than Angus.
May be a humidity thing then....as it is the other way around here. Neighbor has Shorthorn based cattle. Can't say I've ever seen them in a tank. Under the shade for sure, but not being waterbuffalo like the angus.
I swore our Shorthorns has grandparents that are water buffaloes because our Shorthorns spent their entire day in the ponds while the Angus cows are grazing out in midday without the shorthorns.

There's a place down the road from us that has a big open pasture with about 75 angus in it, and NO shade whatsoever. There are 3 or 4 scraggly little mesquites in one corner, and in the summers I see those poor cows almost lying on top of each other trying to grab a little piece of shade. I cringe every time I drive by that place. I mean, good grief, this is just common sense.

Ruark":aotrr0l8 said:
There's a place down the road from us that has a big open pasture with about 75 angus in it, and NO shade whatsoever. There are 3 or 4 scraggly little mesquites in one corner, and in the summers I see those poor cows almost lying on top of each other trying to grab a little piece of shade. I cringe every time I drive by that place. I mean, good grief, this is just common sense.

Sounds almost like dairy cattle. As long as they can get their head in the shade they think they're cool. ;-)

Waterway65":1zunoxek said:
I think the biggest heat problem for black cattle is in the feedlot.
That would certainly be where you have the most deaths. Packed in their like sardines and very little of anything for relief from the heat. Many are half sick already so it doesn't take much to push them over the line.

Latest posts