Black buzzards struck again.

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never seen one either but there are a couple folks that I believe are credible with no reason to make it up, that claim to have seen them. I also know several that I question the validity of too.
I've never even seen a bobcat personally but think I have heard them in the past when I could hear at least somewhat.
Few months back a neighbor that joins us got a picture of a big bobcat on her back porch, said she had seen it in her yard several times.
I actually seen a bobcat along highway 25E south of Corbin KY before daylight Friday morning. The bobcat population seems to be doing very good.

All that is very possibly from the Smokey Mountains Park. But i think its possible that they migrated south and east also. Plus there is a species refered to as the Florida Panther. I have seen evidence of them in Florida.
If you're ever in Bama and looking to cool your heels a bit, I can take you to some spots and to talk to some old folks who will give you the straight skinny. Even after the extirpation people still saw them or sign of them here and there, and now with the migrations of cougars from elsewhere there are pockets where every local will tell you they're around and a few people will even know somebody that gave one the SSS treatment. One was killed in broad daylight in south Georgia a couple years ago, that's all the evidence anybody should need. It wasn't even 60 years ago that some NF land in NC had up cougar spotting signs. I never take a government man at his word on something of controversy, hell I've been one myself.

If you're ever in Bama and looking to cool your heels a bit, I can take you to some spots and to talk to some old folks who will give you the straight skinny. Even after the extirpation people still saw them or sign of them here and there, and now with the migrations of cougars from elsewhere there are pockets where every local will tell you they're around and a few people will even know somebody that gave one the SSS treatment. One was killed in broad daylight in south Georgia a couple years ago, that's all the evidence anybody should need. It wasn't even 60 years ago that some NF land in NC had up cougar spotting signs. I never take a government man at his word on something of controversy, hell I've been one myself.
The south GA one could easily be from the Florida population. It wasn't that far south that i seen them.
Again i totally believe that they should be here but as Dave i think said even if you have a good population of them they are rarely seen.

The south GA one could easily be from the Florida population. It wasn't that far south that i seen them.
Again i totally believe that they should be here but as Dave i think said even if you have a good population of them they are rarely seen.
Dave is also in a place where stuff can go 15 miles in a direction and barely touch a road. Same reason there's so much black bear conflict in parts of the east, there's not nearly so much unbroken wilderness.

I saw a wolverine about five miles from the house and called up the NPR to report it. They acted like I was mistaken or making it up. Within a couple of months they caught it on a video camera in a town a ways north. They called me back and suddenly they were very interested.

Where I live mountain lions are all over, and as many times as I have been out in the woods I've never seen one... but I've smelled them>

Last edited:
There was supposed to have been a mountain lion hit and killed by a vehicle several years ago in southern eastern Ky. Then 2-3 years ago one was shot out of a tree by a F&W person in Bourbon County KY. They said the DNA matched a population in South Dakota and that they weren't any living here and just left it at that.
I believe they are around especially in the mountains.

Black Mountain along the boundary of Kentucky and Virginia has only 3 state maintained roads in about 50+ miles. Possible for anything to be there.
Bear are getting overpopulated in that area.

I saw a wolverine about five miles from the house and called up the NPR to report it. They acted like I was mistaken or making it up. Within a couple of months they caught it on a video camera in a town a ways north. They called me back and suddenly they were very interested.

Where I live mountain lions are all over, and as many times as I have been out in the woods I've never seen one... but I've smelled them>
That smell of cat piss?

Since part of this seems directed at me...

My conversation with the Game Officer was years ago. Long before a Permit was available, which is a very recent thing.
I wasn't trying to direct it in a bad way... just that the comment about the game officer being by the book... that a conversation with him about the recent permit system... didn't realize it had been a conversation done years ago....
Surprisingly, there are several people in the "system" that had to be educated about the permits being available...

Watched a black bear sow and 2 cubs 2 nights ago... go from the Christmas tree lot next door, across the road, across the field we had just cut and baled the wheat mixture... stop at 2 of the rolls near the woods and then go into the woods when I was going out to lock in the chickens. I thought at first it was a cow out loose... then realized it was the wrong shape and then saw the 2 cubs... Bears have that "rolling gait" as the lope along.... kinda just undulates....I was dumbfounded and didn't even have my phone since I was only going out to lock in the birds... a 5 minute job. Couple of the neighbors have seen a single bear in this general area... so not surprised... I told several since it is so close to so many through there, with lots of woods of 1-5 acres that they can pass through and it goes back along the interstate and through the main farm we have. Don't want anyone to get between a sow and her cubs by mistake...

Most people in town probably already know about them in the cemetery, I heard other people making jokes about it. Recently, there was an article in the local newspaper about the buzzards roosting in trees in town neighborhoods and what a mess they were making. Maybe if they get to roosting in the affluent subdivisions the local government will be compelled to act.
Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. We have flying foxes (fruit Bats) that hang out in trees around the parkland along the creek in town. They make a lot of noise and make a mess and are a known carrier of a pretty deadly (humans) virus called Hendra Virus. Most people want them moved on but when council does make a move there is a very vocal minority screaming about the bats rights to be there and of course the minority wins out and of course they are not the ones living close by.

Ken

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. We have flying foxes (fruit Bats) that hang out in trees around the parkland along the creek in town. They make a lot of noise and make a mess and are a known carrier of a pretty deadly (humans) virus called Hendra Virus. Most people want them moved on but when council does make a move there is a very vocal minority screaming about the bats rights to be there and of course the minority wins out and of course they are not the ones living close by.

Ken
That sounds familiar the minority opinions with money and/or loud voices get their way here.

I'm really kind of surprised they haven't tried to discourage the buzzards from roosting in the city and cemetery I guess they haven't started roosting in the well to do neighborhoods yet.
With coyotes, the farmers have had to put up with them for decades and town folk are like oh they such wonderful wild animals it's so good that they are free to roam and they don't bother anything and only eat mice and other small rodents. Now that they are so thick that they are all over the towns too, there's news paper articles and tv news stations reporting coyote activity in such and such neighborhood, residents are concerned.
One thing that I like about lots of town folks having a few chickens is that they soon get initiated into seeing firsthand what predators, neighbors dogs can do to their animals.

It's like all the "soft on crime" ones... they don't ride the subways and get mugged in their fancy cars and gated communities or the places with all the security...
Yep, all the ones that get their few little pet chickens attacked and torn up and the places where the kids get threatened by the coyotes or their little lap dog gets grabbed and killed, finally wakes some of them up to what the "wonderful let the animals run wild and free" can actually mean to those of us caretaking the animals we make our living on. Let them pay a couple thousand dollar vet bills to patch up their dog that a coyote tore up, or see the devastation of what a coyote or a couple of neighborhood dogs do to their cute little 4-6 hens that the kids all named and pet and pick up and they collect their eggs every day for their special breakfasts... and some of them actually start to realize that all this "live in harmony" stuff is Disney fantasy land.
The buzzards are very menacing looking and scare alot of people now that these black ones have gotten so brazen. The old turkey buzzards sorta did their thing quietly and behind the scenes... these black ones are intimidating...

It's like all the "soft on crime" ones... they don't ride the subways and get mugged in their fancy cars and gated communities or the places with all the security...
Yep, all the ones that get their few little pet chickens attacked and torn up and the places where the kids get threatened by the coyotes or their little lap dog gets grabbed and killed, finally wakes some of them up to what the "wonderful let the animals run wild and free" can actually mean to those of us caretaking the animals we make our living on. Let them pay a couple thousand dollar vet bills to patch up their dog that a coyote tore up, or see the devastation of what a coyote or a couple of neighborhood dogs do to their cute little 4-6 hens that the kids all named and pet and pick up and they collect their eggs every day for their special breakfasts... and some of them actually start to realize that all this "live in harmony" stuff is Disney fantasy land.
The buzzards are very menacing looking and scare alot of people now that these black ones have gotten so brazen. The old turkey buzzards sorta did their thing quietly and behind the scenes... these black ones are intimidating...
It's funny you say that about coyotes attacking pets and threaten kids and all that. When stuff like that happens in the suburb it makes the big news, oh my god a coyote attacked and injured and killed a pet. Have you ever seen a story about a coyote injuring or killing a lamb or calf or what have you? Nope. Talk about bias.
We have turkey vultures around here, but like you've said, they do their thing quietly and I've only seen them feed on dead, not kill anything. Your guys's black buzzards sound scary.

Latest posts