Shade

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
I am planning on fencing my hayfield and turning it into pasture. I will be rotating through it fairly quickly (no longer than a day on each paddock). About half of the paddocks will have sufficient shade but there will be some that won't. What are your thoughts? They will be fine? Buy one of those fancy portable umbrellas that cost 9k-18k ( :shock: ) or sell them all and buy red ones?

Not sure how you have things set up for your paddocks but my cows usually don't roam and eat much during the day when it is really hot. If possible, I would let them in shaded areas during the hot days and turn out into unshaded areas at night when they will be grazing the most.

Plant some fast growing trees, build an open sided barn or get a shade shelter. I see some cows out eating in the sun but not all and part of the day all are in the shade. The other day ours were out grazing (BA) and down the road the red Angus on another farm were in the shade except for one cow. Part of it is genetics but part of it is proper husbandry practices.

I think if they will only be in the paddock for a day, they will be fine. You could also do what dsth said and use the unshaded areas on overcast days or in the evenings if that is possible with your set up

Build an alley from the paddocks to the shade. Work your paddocks off the side of the alley. Then no matter which paddock they are in they can get to the shade as needed.
The getting all red cows isn't a terrible idea either.

Also depends on what they are grazing. Mine are on annuals right now. Temps in the upper 80's, and the white, cream, and red cows are out eating. The black cows with a little ear are out there too. The others are laying by the water wishing they had shade. 2-3 more days and it will cool down a bit. 7-10 and They'll have shade until september, but they will be on fescue. I haven't had my cows long enough to cull hard for cows adapted to my farm, so even with the shade if they are on fescue they will be panting and losing condition. My cows look worse in August than January as a general rule. So yes, they will probably need shade, but you can manage around it. Now is the time, before the fences go up... Square fields may be more efficient, but how efficient is a field you can't graze. Might have to get creative. Good luck.

What you do not know is how much gain you are losing by not having shade. That's more to think about rather than how tough your cattle are to maybe not need shade.