shade

Help Support CattleToday:

nocows

Reaction score
Does anyone have any simple ideas or ways they've created shade for cattle? I wean calves in lot but there isn't any shade available to them and it's usually late August or early September. Last year I drove a few t posts and put a cattle panel in an arch and put a tarp over it.

My plans are to eventually build a south facing 3-sided building mostly for shelter in the winter I sometimes isolate cattle to this lot for various reasons. Would a structure like that also work for shade? My initial thoughts are it would be too hot in there due to the 3 sides being closed off. Either way not sure when that building will even be built... it's on my list but I have a long list :) So in the mean time something temporary and simple I can always go back to my cattle panels, just curious what others have done.

Build a simple pole barn on east and west side leave a over hang or partially side it up doesn't have to be huge or fancy just large enough to provide shade all day

I fenced in my receiving/weaning lot around a oak tree that is about 11&1/2 ft around at the base it's about 1 acre with the tree right slap dab in the middle. A lean to type structure will also work and they are not expensive to build

nocows said:
Does anyone have any simple ideas or ways they've created shade for cattle? I wean calves in lot but there isn't any shade available to them and it's usually late August or early September. Last year I drove a few t posts and put a cattle panel in an arch and put a tarp over it.

My plans are to eventually build a south facing 3-sided building mostly for shelter in the winter I sometimes isolate cattle to this lot for various reasons. Would a structure like that also work for shade? My initial thoughts are it would be too hot in there due to the 3 sides being closed off. Either way not sure when that building will even be built... it's on my list but I have a long list :) So in the mean time something temporary and simple I can always go back to my cattle panels, just curious what others have done.
How about cement? The blocks interlock (think Leggos). Keeps it cool in the summer, like a basement, and warm in the winter with a bed of straw.

The 3 sided barn will not be to hot if there is any kind of breeze. I have a single sided overhang on the south side of a barn where I keep a few replacement heifers and they use it from about 1 PM to 4 PM every day. Its in a lot so it also makes them easy to catch. It also gives a wind break in the winter.

Shade cloth like this is a little more work than your cattle panels, but it works well and isn't as much investment as a building. It lasts quite a while if you don't leave it up year round.

https://www.qcsupply.com/80-black-woven-shade-material.html

Buck Randall said:
Shade cloth like this is a little more work than your cattle panels, but it works well and isn't as much investment as a building. It lasts quite a while if you don't leave it up year round.

https://www.qcsupply.com/80-black-woven-shade-material.html
Have I got a deal for you! 24x240 ft lengths of the same shadecloth with eyelets every 18".. it was used in ginseng

Not a good photo of our shade screens, they aren't as good as natural shade but the cattle sure appreciate them. The base has a skid design where we can pull them between pastures.

Gizmom

Latest posts