Septic Systems

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Have any of yall had problems with certain brands of toilet paper not breaking down. I have spent the last three days repairing and cleaning out the system.

Caustic Burno":24rfs93h said:
Have any of yall had problems with certain brands of toilet paper not breaking down. I have spent the last three days repairing and cleaning out the system.
The Sear Roebuck catalog is the only one that clogs here.

Seriously, no. They all work the same here. But I flush a pack of yeast about once a month. Don't know if it helps but I ain't had any problems in years.

MikeC":33ikhan2 said:
Caustic Burno":33ikhan2 said:

Seriously, no. They all work the same here. But I flush a pack of yeast about once a month. Don't know if it helps but I ain't had any problems in years.
MikeC dont try and fool us Tennessee boys. Ya''ll down in Bama are still using corn cobs.

CB, 3M 40 grit sandpaper dont flush too awful well.

MikeC":2z8yxp3j said:
Caustic Burno":2z8yxp3j said:

I always use RidX ,wife went to using Charmin it wasn't breaking it down at all. All the Charmin squezable soft crap that was in the house went in the burn barrel this afternoon.

Caustic Burno":1f6fijkw said:
MikeC":1f6fijkw said:
Caustic Burno":1f6fijkw said:

I always use RidX ,wife went to using Charmin it wasn't breaking it down at all. All the Charmin squezable soft crap that was in the house went in the burn barrel this afternoon.

Caustic

well I dont really know what your answer is ,but better get it fixed soon.Nothing meaner than a wife whose toilet wont work

carl

I do not knwo about toilet paper but the last time I had problems I started pissing outside instead of the toilet. I figure one less flush would help.

Used to be on septic but on village sewer system now. Always used Northern tp and RidX once a month. Never had any problems. Good luck.

Caustic Burno":2wdvx3cn said:
MikeC":2wdvx3cn said:
Caustic Burno":2wdvx3cn said:

My septic man said not to use ridx or anything else . I think he said it clogged up the lateral lines because it broke down the solids too fast. Not sure though

Found this in a good housekeeping report and guess which brand my wife was buying

Brand Dissolvency Time in Seconds
(lowest is best)
Charmin Plus 1-Ply 9
MD 2-Ply 9
Coronet 2-Ply 12
Angel Soft 2-Ply 12
Scott 1-Ply 17
Soft 'N Gentle 1-Ply 18
Soft Weve 1-Ply 20
Marcal 1-Ply 20
Soft 'N Gentle 2-Ply 21
Seventh Generation 2-Ply 21
Quilted Northern Super 2-Ply 69
Charmin Ultra 2-Ply 77
Cottonelle 1-Ply 96
Charmin 1-Ply 180

CB,

I think you gave away the answer in an earlier post. But I'm going to guess it's the Charmin on the bottom of the list. We don't have to much trouble with our septic. We've been using the RidX as well as some baking soda about once a month. If the rest of the grass was as green and thick as that over the field lines I'd be real happy.

Jack

Jack,

What's the baking soda for?

In my bunkhouse at the barn there is not proper ventilation or something because when too many people are using the facilities an odor begins to seep back into the bathroom through the drain pipes. Would baking soda help this problem?

I don't think it is the type of TP you are using. It could be some other things though. If you have had a lot of rain, your peculation rate could be slow. You could have roots in the drain lines slowing them or clogging a line or two. Drain lines are only good for 20 to 40 years. They don't last forever. Pecan trees are notorious for clogging drain lines.
On another side, you could be killing the bugs in your tank with too much bleach or that sort of stuff.
As I am sure you have noticed, when you opened the tank that the TP floats on top and your outlet pluming should have a "T' on it so that only the liquid goes to the drain field.

Have you been washing the mold off of your hay with bleach in the washer? Do you remember the lady that wanted to wash her hay?

alabama":19sfbvs5 said:
I don't think it is the type of TP you are using. It could be some other things though. If you have had a lot of rain, your peculation rate could be slow. You could have roots in the drain lines slowing them or clogging a line or two. Drain lines are only good for 20 to 40 years. They don't last forever. Pecan trees are notorious for clogging drain lines.
On another side, you could be killing the bugs in your tank with too much bleach or that sort of stuff.
As I am sure you have noticed, when you opened the tank that the TP floats on top and your outlet pluming should have a "T' on it so that only the liquid goes to the drain field.

Have you been washing the mold off of your hay with bleach in the washer? Do you remember the lady that wanted to wash her hay?

Haven't been washing hay and the field lines are all good, just replaced them with the new type of hydro panels a year ago.
I dug them up and checked. The bugs were not eating the tp they were eating the waste as that looked good. Of course I started at the wrong end I was thinking field lines from all the rain wasn't the problem.

A6gal":d3smuq0d said:
Jack,

What's the baking soda for?

In my bunkhouse at the barn there is not proper ventilation or something because when too many people are using the facilities an odor begins to seep back into the bathroom through the drain pipes. Would baking soda help this problem?

A6gal,

The wife got the idea from the following Arm & Hammer add.

Jack

Our recommendation is that - for the average sized septic tank - you pour a cup of ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda down a toilet or drain once a week. If you do this every week, you will create a favorable pH environment for microorganism - naturally present in your septic tank - to digest sewage, so that the effluent going to the drainage field is clearer. A clearer effluent helps prevent clogging in the drain field, and backing-up in the house.

Caustic Burno":3u0hr46i said:
alabama":3u0hr46i said:

Haven't been washing hay and the field lines are all good, just replaced them with the new type of hydro panels a year ago.
I dug them up and checked. The bugs were not eating the tp they were eating the waste as that looked good. Of course I started at the wrong end I was thinking field lines from all the rain wasn't the problem.

Well how did you fix it?

I think he pm'ed APLUS to help him out. APLUS is most likely rolling South as we speak singing the Might Mouse theme song.
"Here I come to save the day".
:lol:
;-)

Had a fella once tell me to flush chicken skin to leep the digestive enzimes growing.
Grounds starting to freeze so it looks like we'll wait until spring to check the system.
Good reminder CB....thanks

Odor from the systen could be that the water in the trap has eveporated...just pour some water down the drains once a week.

alabama":255uclva said:
Caustic Burno":255uclva said:
alabama":255uclva said:

Well how did you fix it?

Called out a vacuum truck for 185 bucks cleaned out the tank and started over.
I was just so excited I got to buy the toilet paper at the store and pay to have it hauled off.

TLCfromARK":2o2drz3f said:
I think he pm'ed APLUS to help him out. APLUS is most likely rolling South as we speak singing the Might Mouse theme song.
"Here I come to save the day".
:lol:
;-)

I can only help with what is left on the outside of the toilet, once it enters the pipes it is out of my hands!

Caustic you ever thought maybe it was not the toilet paper, maybe it was what you are eating? Could you be expelling to much waste for the pipes to handle? :lol:

Ps. I was always under the impression that Charmin was the best there was at dissolving. It might get expensive but I guess you could buy some of that toilet paper they make for RV's I am sure it dissolves the best of all them, It is pretty pricey though.

Latest posts