Retail meat pricesFrom Food Systems Insider:

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Retail meat prices in January climb by most in seven years
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 9:30:16 PST - Author: Bruce Blythe, Business EditorRetail meat prices in January rose the most in seven years, as last year's accelerating food inflation extended into 2011 amid smaller cattle and hog herds.

A meat price index tracked by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics rose 8.4 percent last month on a seasonally-adjusted basis compared to January 2010, according to a Feb. 18 report. That was the largest year-over-year gain for that month since 2004. Meat prices rose 7.2 percent in December compared with year-earlier levels and have climbed an average of 7 percent over the past six months.

Beef and pork prices are climbing in part because livestock feeders cut herds after feed costs soared in 2008 and the recession hurt demand. Prices for slaughter-ready cattle and hogs last year rose 25 percent and 22 percent, respectively, based on Chicago futures. As of Jan. 1, the total U.S. cattle herd fell to a 53-year low, according to the USDA.

Last month, pork prices were up 9.9 percent from year-earlier levels, the largest January increase since 1997, while beef rose 9.7 percent, the biggest jump since 2004, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Many analysts expect beef and pork to become even more expensive as $7-a-bushel corn discourages producers from expanding herds. Meat inflation is outpacing prices for most other foods, a concern for livestock producers because chicken production is rising and unemployment remains high. That may prompt consumers to buy cheaper meats, analysts have said.

Additionally, soaring corn prices are squeezing beef and pork producer margins, making any significant herd expansion unlikely, analysts say. On Feb. 18, corn futures in Chicago reached $7.15 a bushel, the highest price since July 2008.

Retail pork prices are expected to rise 3 percent to 4 percent in 2011 and beef is expected to rise 2.5 percent to 3.5 percent, according to a USDA forecast released in November.

Among specific cuts, bacon averaged $4.25 at retail during January, up from $4.16 in December and up 17 percent from $3.63 a year ago. Bacon hit a record $4.77 in October. Choice-grade, boneless sirloin steak averaged $6.27 a pound last month, up from $6.07 in December and up from $5.31 in January 2010.

For the broader food at home category, retail prices during January rose 0.7 percent from December, the largest increase since 2008, and rose 2.1 percent from January 2010, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which is part of the Labor Department.

novaman":1hp31n57 said:
I have a feeling we are in for some interesting times. Everything is going up, up, up.
Half right. All of the going out is going up the coming in isn;t on the same wave length

On Superior Livestock today 800 lb plus steers were going from $1050 to $1150 a head to go to feed lots, with the high cost of grain and fuel with no end in site , how will it come out in the end?

cowboy43":uns95qyx said:
On Superior Livestock today 800 lb plus steers were going from $1050 to $1150 a head to go to feed lots, with the high cost of grain and fuel with no end in site , how will it come out in the end?
Badly

we was in wal-marts the other day,so i checked the hamberger meat price.an for a 5.5lb pkg of top meat it was $18 a pkg.so that tells me i need to butcher a calf.

cowboy43":2v7meket said:
Probably kind of runny & brownish green. :banana: Sorry I couldn't resist.

bigbull338":24kglmw2 said:
we was in wal-marts the other day,so i checked the hamberger meat price.an for a 5.5lb pkg of top meat it was $18 a pkg.so that tells me i need to butcher a calf.

Kinda shoots a hole in their slogan..."Always a Low Price..." LOL.

We sell our 98% lean Texas Longhorn natural grass fed ground beef USDA Inspected, GROWN IN TEXAS, for $5.00 a pound. And...no hormones, steroids, antibiotics, or other artificial additives, fillers, etc. (If Wally World keeps raising their prices...well, we might have to raise ours too for "better" beef! LOL!!! ;-)

I couldn't resist commenting on this item... :)

Running Arrow Bill":2r07wx2h said:
bigbull338":2r07wx2h said:

Kinda shoots a hole in their slogan..."Always a Low Price..." LOL.

We sell our 98% lean Texas Longhorn natural grass fed ground beef USDA Inspected, GROWN IN TEXAS, for $5.00 a pound. And...no hormones, steroids, antibiotics, or other artificial additives, fillers, etc. (If Wally World keeps raising their prices...well, we might have to raise ours too for "better" beef! LOL!!! ;-)

I couldn't resist commenting on this item... :)
what you say is right as well.people will decide to pay for quality meat,an hunt down cattlemen with finished steers,so they know whats been put into the steers before butchering.

Running Arrow Bill, I understand you are producing a quality product that demands a premium. I just really have to question how well demand can be sustained with prices moving upward.

novaman":1cyp3j7r said:
Running Arrow Bill, I understand you are producing a quality product that demands a premium. I just really have to question how well demand can be sustained with prices moving upward.

Longhorn beef is currently a nitch market, along with all the other specialty meat products. This past year we acquired nearly 100 customers, around 60 or so on our mailing list (who gave us addresses).

The market for Longhorn (and other lean meats) meat is primarily targeted to those "low cholesterol, low fat" consumers who have either (a) decided on their own, or (b) have been advised by their Doctor to eat lean beef...due to weight, heart, cholesterol, etc. issues. There is also the "growing" demand of some consumers to eat beef that is "natural grass fed" without any hormones, steroids, antibiotics, etc. in their meats.

Our current prices are in line with organic, choice, & select meats. The consumers who have $$ to spend are out there. The "other" consumers will continue to buy the least expensive cuts of meat, regardless of the breed or species. These customers will never (probably) be able to afford (or want) meats other than the McDonalds "meat"...lol.

We've had a good demand for our smoked sausages and sold out of summer sausages last year. This year's "harvest" at the processor now is concentrating on smoked products and higher end steaks from our 16 to 24 +/- month old animals.

well i went out to eat for lunch an dropped $18 for a 16oz ribbeye.an to me that was a pretty high price.but i was in the mood for a steak.

Red Bull Breeder":3mlo9uxu said:
Its a supply and demand market. It may be in demand, but if you can't afford it demand don't mean nothing.

Yep....lots of kids staring into the candy store and not a penny to spend inside. Everybody would love to eat the best but has to settle for what they can afford.

TexasBred":2uenxt3g said:
Red Bull Breeder":2uenxt3g said:
Its a supply and demand market. It may be in demand, but if you can't afford it demand don't mean nothing.

Yep....lots of kids staring into the candy store and not a penny to spend inside. Everybody would love to eat the best but has to settle for what they can afford.

So, let's start a big program to give them all fresh tomatoes and free range chicken breasts. It won't be cheap, but...hey what's worth doing is worth doing organically.
Fuel prices compete with cattle in two ways. On the cost side, corn for ethanol eats a third of the crop. And us cowboys all drive F250's.
On the income side, the price of fuel steals consumer $ they might otherwise spend on a good steak. Hamburger seems immune to this. Americans will give up beef two days before they head to the streets. Cairo and Tripoli have a lot to say to US food policy-makers if they will only listen. Those despotic governments were acceptable to the people right up to the day that bread prices doubled. It took a couple years for the pressure to build under the lid, but it eventually came.

They already have the chickens and tomatoes. And people will always save money or credit to buy gas even if they do have to keep eating yard birds.

I buy and sell quite a bit of ground beef and produce every week. Its the same routine every year with regards to prices. I don't sell as much beef as McDonald's, but I'm a bit more picky about the quality, I have seen a increase in the amount we sell lately even with the recent increases in prices.

As far as produce goes, its the same thing every year, and I am lucky enough to be able to buy from a very reputable broker. I have seen some absolutely outrageous prices being charged for produce that are nothing but a ripoff. There are normal increases this time of year, but some of the wholesalers are charging 3 times what I've been paying for the same product.

I do sell more bacon and sausage than several McDonald's put together, and the bacon prices are the same as produce, they have had some pritty sizable increases, but some wholesalers are way out of line on their prices.

Latest posts