Separating the Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
My calves are learning the system. They know they can find a clean, mud free environment where there is fresh hay, feed and shelter. It makes working the calves easy. When they are in the sanctuary, I can close the gate behind them and herd them into the handling facility.

In the first picture you can see where the cows are fed in the background. There is a hotwire high enough for the calves to go under but low enough that the cows get shocked. The calves have figured it out. There are a total of 16 fall calves. Usually 3/4 th of them are in the "sanctuary". Some even hear the fed being dropped and come running. The feed is not free choice. They are eating about 50 pounds a day.
1pxs2a.jpg

153msdg.jpg

Taken this morning at dawn. I put out 30 pounds of feed mix which is the generic beef mix from Mayslick Mill. It is listed at 12 % protein. The calves are on average 9 weeks old.
2h7lwld.jpg

2hfuo1h.jpg

Sure looks like a good set up. I can't get all of our calves and yearlings caught at the moment to feed. We're a mud hole and have been trying to feed hay on the dry ground. The problem is the cattle have plenty of water outside of the catch - working pens, but starting today no more hay outside. There's nothing worse in the cattle business than not being able to catch your cows when you want to.

I did something similar this year, but I didn't start nearly soon enough. I have 8 locked up to haul out this week but still have a couple slow learners that'll have to go on a later trip. I sure wish I had a spot that dry. Everything was soup last week, now it's frozen and I'm just waiting on a cow to break a leg.

M.Magis":jebb48xd said:
I did something similar this year, but I didn't start nearly soon enough. I have 8 locked up to haul out this week but still have a couple slow learners that'll have to go on a later trip. I sure wish I had a spot that dry. Everything was soup last week, now it's frozen and I'm just waiting on a cow to break a leg.

In the sanctuary, the rock base is excellent. As soon as it stops raining it gets dry and stays solid. Out beyond the gates where the cows are fed, gets muddy. It has a rock base too but after several years of use, it has accumulated waste and subsided. So it gets muddy and nasty but not a soup.

Jogeephus":l1kqwxfg said:
They look good. A bit spoiled looking but they do look good.

I took this today. This young heifer is using one of the smaller ones as a pillow. :santa:
293bqkz.jpg

Latest posts