Semen tanks where to store how to check N?

Help Support CattleToday:

Talin

Reaction score
Wanted to ask a few questions just got a Millenium 2000 semen tank with 150+ straws. I have some practical questions where should I store the tank? (besides near the cows:) ) Should I put it on a pallet or a mat to decrease thermal loss? How often to check for nitrogen?

Also wanted to take an AI course (did this a bit backward) any recommendations?

Thanks

I store my two main tanks on the back of a flatbed truck and the bed is black diamond plate and it's usually parked in the sun. Anything that you do will be better than that. :lol: Cool shady spots will save some nitrogen but a good tank will hold for a looong time no matter what you do to it. My main tank spends seven hours with the top being opened and closed repeatedly and it can still hold for two months between fills if I needed it to.
Since the tank is new to you, it needs to be checked at least once a week until you get a feel for how much nitrogen it's going to use. It will use more in hot weather so check it now while it's hot and then you can cut back over winter. It will use alot less once you get it figured out and stop opening the top.
As far as AI schools, contact the studs in your area, ABS, Select, CRI, etc and tell them that you're interested.

Thanks sounds like I am over worrying. Won it at an auction very excited about getting started fortunately have enough semen to make a few mistakes if I keep the tank filled with nitrogen

I'd look at the semen that's in there closely and find out what the genetics are before you start putting it into cattle. The top of the canes should have some numbers on them that reference the sires so you can do some research and find out what you have. Just don't pull them up beyond the top of the tank and lift the canisters in short exposures and you're fine.
One of the biggest mistakes that I see in cattle genetics is people using outdated bulls because they remember how good that bull was "back then" when in reality the genetics of that breed have moved beyond what that particular bull was capable of.

Thanks not bad Hereford New Era, Kamikaze, Good and Plenty, Pistol Pete are a few. I was planning on either breeding type to type or line breed and try to match MGS to PGS is that reasonable? At first I just plan to get my current recip cattle bred back with unknown semen to get practice then go from there.

Do you know how expensive it is to sex sort frozen semen? I try to use sorted on the heifers.

You measure how much nitrogen is in the tank with a measuring stick. My husband uses a wooden yard stick and checks how many inches are in the tank. We keep our tank in a locked feed room in our barn.

Sorting is done in a lab prior freezing.

I spray painted a dowel black so the frost shows better, that's what I use to measure it. Ours is in the old equipment room in the parlor up on a metal grate and sitting on a piece of corrugated cardboard for a little padding.

Congratulations on winning the auction. I bought the same tank last year for like $700 without any semen. Keep it up off concrete on a piece of plywood or pallet. Mine's on styrofoam. Craig

cowmilker":30cp4oan said:
Congratulations on winning the auction. I bought the same tank last year for like $700 without any semen. Keep it up off concrete on a piece of plywood or pallet. Mine's on styrofoam. Craig

ditto. ours is on a wooden floor.

I have the same tank as you do, always have been very happy with it. I fill it (recharge it) 3 or 4 times a year, the biggest problem is finding someone that actually knows how to top the tank off. They see the tank start to spit out the top and assume it's full. Mine is in our garage on cardboard for insulation. Most any semen will have a plastic measuring stick, I have two or three it seemed to be the freebie of choice for a few years. It measures in cm's, at least mine do. I also painted a dowel black and used that for a while. I let my tank get down to about 10 cm before I start thinking about a recharge on LN2.

Have fun,

Alan

Do you know where your going to get your nitrogen from? We get ours from a welding shop.