Semen providers

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
We've ordered semen from ABS, ORigin, and Select Sires. Are we missing any great bulls that are exclusively somewhere else? Are their other semen providers that you think do as good or better job than the ones above? Any favorites?

We have used Genex and Grassroots exclusively for a long time now. There just are not as many reps for the others in our area. My main complaint with most is that they have none or next to no Limis. Even Cattle Visions does not carry Limis (every other breed though)

Don't forget about herbster. If Charles Herbster doesn't own him, he isn't worth using. I figured everyone knew that by now.

STGentics, Genex.

We havn't bought from ABS in quite some time. Most of what we've bought is from Select, SAV Raindance from ST, and Capitalist 316 from BEEF360. I know it depends on what region your in with some of the reps, but I really like the SS guys around here. I just ordered an AI cert for a Raindance heifer this AM, and really liked the 5 min chat I had with the ladies at ST, she was more than willing to talk to me about their current lineup and which bulls are selling, etc. FWIW

T & B farms said:
Don't forget about herbster. If Charles Herbster doesn't own him, he isn't worth using. I figured everyone knew that by now.

Is this coming from someone who has actually ordered from Herbster/North American?

They are top notch, and deliver as promised. A first class operation.

Whether or not you like the sires offered is up to you, but they can't be questioned when it comes to their professionalism.

hornedfrogbbq said:
We've ordered semen from ABS, ORigin, and Select Sires. Are we missing any great bulls that are exclusively somewhere else? Are their other semen providers that you think do as good or better job than the ones above? Any favorites?
Me personally, I don't think any company has a better battery of bulls than ABS, but I use Select Sires and get semen directly from a friend who has bulls in stud. In the future I will be using a few from Pure Beef, don't matter what breed Mike is putting together a really nice battery of phenotype bulls.

I've had great success with the sexed semen from ST Genetics, and they have some very good Angus bulls like S A V Raindance, MGR Treasure and Connealy Concord to name a few. Another good source is The Bull Barn. They seem to be a clearinghouse for Angus semen and have most of the major semen company bulls available. Had good experience with them as well.

I've had a lot better luck when I have purchased the semen directly off the farm where the sire is owned vs magazine. Did use some herbster bulls this year and I'm hoping for good results! If I got the conception I think I got with his bulls I will continue to use them.

I know herbster is 40 million but what are the other companies ? Or is every bull different depending on what the owner wants ?

Don't forget about:
Alta Beef
Semex Beef
Universal Semen Sales
Bull Barn

Bull Barn Genetics is real fast on certs. I've never had to order semen from them but I'll get certs the following day.

Not all have been as quick. So if I can, that's who I go thru.

Latest posts