Semen collection... I learned a lot.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen the entire process and confess I would not want the job of catching the result of the jump. Talk about needing to be quick and it sure puts you in an awkward place. I can manage to get hurt just walking through a pasture I sure would get hurt with that job. We are planning to haul our D45 bull to Lookout Mountain Genetics in Fort Payne once we pull him off the cows. He has shown us enough at this point that we want some insurance in the tank. Now since I said that out loud he will probable get hit by lighting tomorrow.

gizmom

gizmom said:
I have seen the entire process and confess I would not want the job of catching the result of the jump. Talk about needing to be quick and it sure puts you in an awkward place. I can manage to get hurt just walking through a pasture I sure would get hurt with that job. We are planning to haul our D45 bull to Lookout Mountain Genetics in Fort Payne once we pull him off the cows. He has shown us enough at this point that we want some insurance in the tank. Now since I said that out loud he will probable get hit by lighting tomorrow.

gizmom

I have used them several times, highly recommend LMG.

When we picked ours up, we saw a newcomer that's being collected there. He makes our bull, look like Danny Devito. I want straws of him so bad but just like ours, he's not a fan of the cold either.

My husband caught a glimpse of him also and I have him sold on him, if we can get some straws.

I'd not want to be collecting either! The process is really informative and maybe the smaller studs do a better job of actually educating? I really felt we had a really good experience when we took our bull in.

gizmom said:
Branded

I highly recommend visiting studs and operations. I don't like to use a bull unless I have seen progeny or the bull himself. I will also go on record as saying I have seen bulls at AI studs that I would have culled for disposition or feet, but that is just one old ladies opinion, I am sure they are making a bunch of money on the bull, and could give a rats butt what I think. It is our responsibility as breeders to do our own homework.

gizmom

Not all the bulls I have seen at collection facilities look that great!

I have been to a couple of facilities where bulls are collected. As Gizmom mentioned, it is not unusual to see a bull with bad feet or other discrepancies. I think it was Ironhide I saw in Missouri that had an inguinal rupture.

These bulls are often maintained for years in a 10 by 20 pen. They are over fed and do not get exercise.

Stick a 25 year old Male human in a 10 by 10 studio apartment, not let him out for exercise and over feed him and watch what happens.

I was told by a Genex Rep that they are moving toward changing the protocols for housing these bulls. Not just to make them look better but to improve semen production.

You have to take the lifestyle of a bull into consideration when assessing phenotype.

gizmom said:
Branded

I highly recommend visiting studs and operations. I don't like to use a bull unless I have seen progeny or the bull himself. I will also go on record as saying I have seen bulls at AI studs that I would have culled for disposition or feet, but that is just one old ladies opinion, I am sure they are making a bunch of money on the bull, and could give a rats butt what I think. It is our responsibility as breeders to do our own homework.

gizmom
Studs that collect privately owned bulls get paid to collect and not to cull. They will not cull a bull on defects as long as they can collect him and you will pay them. It is a business to them. That is why there are websites full of semen for sale that nobody wants. Probably 90% of the semen ever collected could be tossed out of storage and it would only improve the future of the beef business. A former ABS rep told me when an old ABS barn burned down years ago that it was the best thing that could have happened to ABS as the old bulls died in the fire and they had to replace them with something other than legends. Buying unproven bulls is a risky business for anyone.

Bright Raven said:
gizmom said:
Branded

gizmom

I have been to a couple of facilities where bulls are collected. As Gizmom mentioned, it is not unusual to see a bull with bad feet or other discrepancies. I think it was Ironhide I saw in Missouri that had an inguinal rupture.

These bulls are often maintained for years in a 10 by 20 pen. They are over fed and do not get exercise.

Stick a 25 year old Male human in a 10 by 10 studio apartment, not let him out for exercise and over feed him and watch what happens.

I was told by a Genex Rep that they are moving toward changing the protocols for housing these bulls. Not just to make them look better but to improve semen production.

You have to take the lifestyle of a bull into consideration when assessing phenotype.

How long do you suppose some of these more popular studs, stay at stud? In those facilities?

NEFarmwife said:
Bright Raven said:
gizmom said:
Branded

gizmom

How long do you suppose some of these more popular studs, stay at stud? In those facilities?

The proven bulls and/or popular bulls stay in collection as long as they do not become uncollectable. Recently there was some collection problems with Cowboy Cut. He is now back in collection after a short hiatus. Some of the popular Simmental bulls owned by the semen cooperatives stay in collection for years. One of the practices that is being used, is to give these bulls a break by putting them on pasture. In other cases, the practice is to put the bulls back in real stud service on cows to recharge them. The most popular bulls in the Simmental breed on the order of Upgrade, Remington Lock N Load, etc. stay in collection for their functional life.

My Genex Rep says their cooperative recognizes that these bulls need exercise and an environment that promotes their health. A bull that is fit and healthy will maintain libido and higher semen production.

Latest posts