Collection costs

Help Support CattleToday:

What are the costs associated with taking a bull in and getting him collected? How many straws can be expected per collection?
Every bull is different on how much they will produce. Anywhere from 15-400 a day.

Processing typically costs around $2/unit. Jump fees and fees/boarding vary per stud.

What are the costs associated with taking a bull in and getting him collected? How many straws can be expected per collection?
Ever seen it done? Insert a metal dildo into the bull's rectum and jolt it with electricity. The poor bull hunches up and somebody holds a cup with a long handle to catch the spew. Then some poor assistant has to suck the sperm up into each straw. Yech...

Ever seen it done? Insert a metal dildo into the bull's rectum and jolt it with electricity. The poor bull hunches up and somebody holds a cup with a long handle to catch the spew. Then some poor assistant has to suck the sperm up into each straw. Yech...
Sounds like the process for on-farm collection. Breeder has been here a couple times. One bull made 40+ straws and another 70+ straws. Have not collected anything recently. You pay a collection fee and mileage in addition to a set-rate per straw. On-farm should be cheaper than paying boarding fees. If you desire hundreds of straws, the bull should go to an AI center.

Sounds like the process for on-farm collection. Breeder has been here a couple times. One bull made 40+ straws and another 70+ straws. Have not collected anything recently. You pay a collection fee and mileage in addition to a set-rate per straw. On-farm should be cheaper than paying boarding fees. If you desire hundreds of straws, the bull should go to an AI center.
Yeah, one of the vets I worked with was doing it for a local dairy. I couldn't believe the sperm was sucked into a straw by someone using their mouth. I'm sure big collection facilities do it differently.

...Not all bulls produce freezable semen. It's unusual but if your bull is one, you will receive a bill and no straws. :(

When I have had bulls collected it has been on farm, cost is between 2 and 3 dollars and I have always got between 100 and 200 straws on yearling bulls, the older bulls I took have been more consistent in the upper end or a little above that 200 mark, probably 180 to 230

An example of what pricing may look like for collection, Hawkeye Breeders has a pricing sheet on their website under services depending on what kind of collection you are looking for as they actually house bulls on site if the breeder wants multiple collections, sexed semen, storage, and they also do international which is another set of guidelines. We've done collections there before and you probably get around 100+ straws on a single collection although that is likely going to vary from bull to bull and semen quality on a given day.

That is a shame that dairy cows no longer experience the romance of bull and cow in the pasture.
My cow Daphne experienced this romance many times.
Daphne and friends.JPG
Honeydew will never have these romances thanks to AI.

No wonder these Jersey bulls are so mean

Latest posts