Collection worthy?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
Alright now I'm as confused as Cooter Brown. I was under the impression America was the best and greatest Angus sire?

Don't be confused Cooter. President is the best until we see how America's progeny turn out.

I think America is going to be the standard in time, I'm just speaking of the present and of a bull that can be easily obtained by anyone who wants the semen. President is the best for now. That's just my opinion.

Dbird: that is a nice bull, i would consider using him in our commercial operation at the price of getting him collected if we owned him and had more commercial cows.

Farmwife: I agree with you in the fact that you believe your bulls will have more carcass merit than those that schaffs breed. I can't name a bull from schaffs that is currently over a .5 on marbling (besides rainfall). However, you shouldn't say that you will be able to produce a bull that is better overall than most of schaff bulls. They really are the real deal phenotypically and produce amazing females. And yes, I will use some schaff genetics this year such as Raindance and Emblem, both of which have phenomenal growth epds and higher $B than most schaff bulls. On that topic, I also think that those females are too big and have a little bit too much flesh more my area. So I also use different bulls and higher $B bulls that are popular such as Enhance, Colonel, Cowboy Up, Big Data, Jet Black, and Black Pearl. Just don't bad mouth schaffs even if you disagree with their programs focus.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:
CreekAngus said:
I think with what your doing and some the genetics you have in your herds......Heck Yeah, I would do some collecting. I had this talk the other day with my teenage daughter. We were discussing a commercial heifer we have and how good she looks, blah, blah. I asked her out of all the cattle she has seen, she's seen good ones, out of what herd would she want a cow from. Her response was the neighbor down the road where she got her show heifer, ironic that is the same farm that we used their herd bull (out of their progeny) to cover a heifer we couldn't get stuck. We often do give too much credit to the promotion and commotion, this farm, that farm, when animals that will improve our herd are already on the farm or just down the road.
Absolutely. I cannot take credit for this bull. He was bought as one of many pairs we purchased out of the Sand Point dispersal last spring. We raised him from about 2 weeks old though and knew he'd be something. We just didn't expect such exceptional EPDs.

It's interesting though, ones take on not collecting on a "homegrown bull" when you have the likes of Schaff. So, my question would be... if you won't use your own critter from a straw of Schaff semen, to breed your cows... why are you in the business? What I take from BH is he isn't confident enough in any of his matings or what he has on his farm... worthy of bringing into ones herd?

I'm not overly focused on creating bulls, there are people that do that WAY better than me, and as hard as it may be to swallow, better than you.

My focus is on females, that is the name of the game. I would never use your bull because, unlike you that makes every comment personal, I simply would want a better female in the pedigree, which I obtain with President or Raindance or Colonel, or Elation, or Supercharger and the list goes on.

My bulls will greatly improve 95% of the commercial herds in this area, if not all of them, and probably 90% nationwide. I have two Internationals and a President that will get used in time, but only if I cannot get around to AI'ng everyone. However that sure doesn't mean they are a President.

Creek wanted to know why I preferred SAV President, it's simple, he's the best. Period!

You can tell everyone how pleasantly surprised you were that your bull has great EPD's and such, but until there are serious bidders dropping deep into the six figures on him or his sons, you are in la la land.

The absolute lowest end bull in my tank is vastly better than your best home cooking, AND you didn't even breed the bull you are bragging about. Anyone can feed a bull, just look at Unmistakable, he's proof.

When my President sons hit 15 months, we will compare photos and videos. Maybe you can even show your bull pics of my Presidents and say "maybe one day you will look this good"

I wouldn't say President is a female maker.

It's what we breed for because (and I've went into this with you before and it's nice to see you've jumped on that same wagon)... that we breed for females because good females make great cattle. You can get semen from anyone for a sire but good females are hard to come by. I'm honored that you've jumped ship.

I'm not touting my bull is the next great bull. I'm not even on here selling him or promoting him. I was suggesting that if the original poster felt that his bull could bring genetics to his herd that he's wanting, collecting semen is an affordable way to do that.

Like I said though... we collected our guy for commercial reasons. It was an affordable way to pull back on the thousands upon thousands we pay for semen. We didn't breed every single cow to him. And we did manage to sell some semen to local cattlemen who were looking for an affordable option. We'll value their feedback.

Likewise, good thing we collected on our SAV bull. He's dead now.

Someone else said on here that collecting is cheaper than insurance. Truth.

Mosey back to your promotional posts. I know what those bitly links do for your ego.

Welter Bros Angus said:
Dbird: that is a nice bull, i would consider using him in our commercial operation at the price of getting him collected if we owned him and had more commercial cows.

Farmwife: I agree with you in the fact that you believe your bulls will have more carcass merit than those that schaffs breed. I can't name a bull from schaffs that is currently over a .5 on marbling (besides rainfall). However, you shouldn't say that you will be able to produce a bull that is better overall than most of schaff bulls. They really are the real deal phenotypically and produce amazing females. And yes, I will use some schaff genetics this year such as Raindance and Emblem, both of which have phenomenal growth epds and higher $B than most schaff bulls. On that topic, I also think that those females are too big and have a little bit too much flesh more my area. So I also use different bulls and higher $B bulls that are popular such as Enhance, Colonel, Cowboy Up, Big Data, Jet Black, and Black Pearl. Just don't bad mouth schaffs even if you disagree with their programs focus.

I did NOT bad mouth schaff. You do know they run their cattle in my backyard? Most of my herd is built on Schaff genetics.

I simply said that my bull will blow Schaff away when it comes to EPDs. Phenotype? Never said that. I'm saying commercially, we fatten our cattle our and we'll make more money on my straws than SAVs.

If nothing else I'm sure we will collect the bull and use the semen on dad's commercial herd and practice AI'ing. He is one of the best bulls we've had phenotypically and he has real world performance. He weaned at 820 on grass here in southern oklahoma and his calves are holding their own with AI sire groups. Time will tell on the maternal side of things.

SAV....meh. The only bull they've had that was a knock down, proof positive cow maker was New Day and he wasn't even theirs......I state that tongue in cheek, but he was phenomenal cow maker. I would hope if we are in the seed stock business we are all trying to make females. I don't think anyone on here is knocking SAV, we used to do that in the old days of CT, for their feeding program. SAV has seemed to jump to the top of the game over the years, where GAR used to be predominant.

dbird33 said:
If nothing else I'm sure we will collect the bull and use the semen on dad's commercial herd and practice AI'ing. He is one of the best bulls we've had phenotypically and he has real world performance. He weaned at 820 on grass here in southern oklahoma and his calves are holding their own with AI sire groups. Time will tell on the maternal side of things.

I think that's a real good start! Do you have any pics of his progeny?

dbird33 said:
That's why I'd want mine collected too.. He's getting a bit older now, I think it's one of the first times I can look at any one of my calves and be happy with it, the heifers are looking better than any I've had before so far... but it'll take a minimum of 2 years, and probably 5 years to really see how they work.. If they work as well as they look, then I might want more of them. The son I'm keeping would be another good candidate too.

I've collected a few of mine. Mostly as an insurance policy against anything happening to a bull I highly value. I also like being able to go back an use some of them again. If I like a bull enough to keep him around, he is almost definitely getting collected....

Richnm said:
Stop wasting energy. Feed your cows or your cows will never reach thier genetic potential.

We all feed our cows some of us just go about it a little differently. That's about a lame a statement as I ever heard and I have heard it a lot of times.

Richnm said:
Stop wasting energy. Feed your cows or your cows will never reach thier genetic potential.
Do you just post random statements just hoping to getting rise or reaction out of people? First off feeding cattle to their genetic potential isn't done by commercial folks, just based on basic economics. Secondly, seed stock folks don't always feed to reach genetic potential, because their sales base (commercial) don't feed that way.

So tell me how cattle develop thier WW and YWs without feed? They must gain weight off air and water? More feed =More pounds. Not enough feed = Loss of weight potential.

Richnm said:
So tell me how cattle develop thier WW and YWs without feed? They must gain weight off air and water? More feed =More pounds. Not enough feed = Loss of weight potential.

I guess you never heard of grass. Most seedstock people feed ww to yearling. From yearling on they go to grass. Not feeding a bunch of cows just to keep them fat.

Richnm said:
You might want to do some research on how EPD's work. It isn't as simple as jamming a bunch of feed into a bull calf and blowing up the WW number. If that's how it worked, a bunch of farms would have already figured out how to do it. I have no idea how many cattle you run, but if it's not a lot, you're attempts to move the WW and YW will be futile. You need large contemporary groups to move the numbers. For most of us smaller guys the only way we move numbers is breeding by the numbers. Ironic how we are getting advice on feeding, from a guy who didn't know what a TMR was until last week.

I know how to get them fat. We finish ours.

If not careful, it's also a good way to destroy a decent animal. Our bulls stay on their wean ration until they go to new owners/grass. We could feed them to make them look real good and slick but if they don't retain decent condition coming off of pasture, we've done our customers a huge disservice. We won't push our boys. Not the ones who will have a job.

Even those we fatten, are done with much thought and precise management.

Richnm said:

But wouldn't over conditioning bulls be wasting energy, since they would have to burn that extra condition back off to be able function during breeding season?

Corn=energy

We are on our way to Ft Payne today to have one collected. The last bull we had collected was Coleman EXT 6149 I am down to 65 straws and am very selective on how I use them. We have flushed to him several times so at least in our case we have used the semen. My only regret is we didn't collect him again. I also regret never getting our 9R9 bull collected. I didn't want to be sitting wishing I had collected this one the way I am with 9R9. So time will tell if this trip was worth the time and effort.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
We are on our way to Ft Payne today to have one collected. The last bull we had collected was Coleman EXT 6149 I am down to 65 straws and am very selective on how I use them. We have flushed to him several times so at least in our case we have used the semen. My only regret is we didn't collect him again. I also regret never getting our 9R9 bull collected. I didn't want to be sitting wishing I had collected this one the way I am with 9R9. So time will tell if this trip was worth the time and effort.

Gizmom

Are you planning on collecting any extra to sell?

Latest posts