IVF Collection Super Donor

Help Support CattleToday:

TwoByrdsMG

Reaction score
We had our first IVF collection on Thursday done by Vytelle satellite location in Madras, OR through Gohr Cattle. While going through the pros and cons of collection, all the questions and finally booking the females to the actual collection, we have had a very good experience. I was absolutely shocked on how many eggs our cow produced on her first donation.

Backstory: Purebred Registered Murray Grey cow coming up on 11 years old. We have only owned her for 3 years but she has quickly proven to have the most uniform quality of calves, highest WW, excellent fertility and breed back time. I only have one purebred replacement female out of this cow. Our intent was to bank some genetics for the future if we loose this cow before getting more replacements. Pictures of the cow, heifer and sires being used.

Lucy Fall 2020.jpg

Harmony 1.jpg
Golden Boy.jpg
Pharaoh.jpg

Thursday collection:
Highest amount of oocytes collected at that facility ever. 60 total eggs with 57 being fertilized! (Note I stopped the collection when he estimated he had 35-40 eggs and actual count was 60- she had more ready for collection).
I was so shocked that I didn't split the eggs up more so we are having 40 eggs fertilized to one bull and 17 to another bull.
This cow's only retained open heifer produced 16 eggs and 13 were fertilized to the same bull as the 17 from her dam.
We were there while 4 other cows were collected- results were 8-18 acceptable oocytes.
Cow was 40 days post calving and the heifer was open and just over a year old.
We can either breed both in at least 2 weeks or have another collection.

My questions:
Why would you do conventional if this process is so much easier on the cow and has known results for a lower cost?
How many eggs have people gotten when they have collected conventional vs. using IVF?
The word "super donor" was thrown out when she was collected... what would you consider a super donor? (over 20 eggs?)

Note: In case you are wondering yes I am sweating getting the bill!

We'll be taking 4 cows in on the 29th and hopefully get similar results. My experience has been more in the 4-10 range. So I would say you got along fantastically.

I have 2 donors that I have flushed Conventionally and IVF. The comparison is below

Donor 1 Conventional- 18 good eggs, and 21 non fertilized
Donor 1 IVF- 43 oocytes, split between 2 bulls ended up with 24 good eggs

Donor 2 Conventional- 6 good eggs, and 15 good eggs
Donor 2 IVF- 1 shot program 15 oocytes, 3 good eggs, 4 shot program 28 oocytes with 10 good all #1s

I have gone to all IVF because I can get them bred and then collect them and they stay on the same schedule as the rest of the herd. I have 70% conception rate on ET work IVF or conventional.

I haven't much experience in this area but from what i hear implants of ivf sourced eggs have poorer results vs flushed eggs so they can be hard to sell.
Historically that was the case, but definitely not so anymore. IVF techniques have improved a lot.

Well, sounds like some folks have had similar good results.

Heifer: 13 eggs fertilized with 5 resulting in embryos- only 3 were freezing grade.
Cow x P47: 40 eggs fertilized with 27 resulting in embryos- they only froze the grade 1s which was 11 embryos. I should have been more clear with my instructions otherwise we would have had another cane of 2s.
Cow x GB: 17 eggs fertilized with 11 resulting in embryos- only 7 were freezing grade.

Feeling pretty good overall! 21 embryos in the tank for less than $175 per egg total costs.

Latest posts