Collection worthy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe I should offer $25,000 on a yearling out of him. That's $10,000 more than some SAV yearlings.

He had a high milk number until his genomics test. I believe his daughters are going to have plenty of milk. Time will tell.

Looking at the EPDs, I would not consider collecting him until I saw daughters in production. With his current EPDs his strength is in the carcass traits. To just say what I think, his EPDs for BW, DOC and HP would make me wait. And if I was funding it, I'd prefer +SC and slightly less MW and MH. But these comments are from a SE USA fescue environment and lower labor type cattle management effort.

I agree with everything you said. I want to see some daughters in production. The heifers out of him are the type I like assuming they produce. He was the bargain of the sale day he was bought. Everyone was scared of his birth weights. Knock on wood, we haven't had to pull a calf out of him yet. They typically in the mid 80s though.

Richnm said:
NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
Saving money on semen? Are you kidding me? It's pocket change in the big picture. Definition of a piker.

I would choose a Schaff bull any day of the week over "home cookin"

Charles Herbster has the dream team as far as I'm concerned. I will stick with him versus bargain bulls.

You aren't playing the long game picking up pennies.

I'm sure a Hyundai will get you from point A to B, but I prefer a Rolls over a Hyundai.
When you start AIing more than 50 cows, let's talk.

We A.I. over 500 cows every year. Most are commercial. Most operations wouldn't even tackle that. Show me one that does?

We've had this convo before.
Reg #????. Why do you always negative input and then leave the forums? Also why do you bad mouth Schaff at every opportunity? Post his Reg # $50k if he is as good as you say. I will pay trucking. My money is good.
Show me where I've bad mouthed Schaff?

I happen to jump on and off as I have time. Earlier, I was in my car waiting for my district manager to show so that we could see if one of our flooded offices would be able to pass inspection now. Killing time. Now I'm sitting in a mobile operations unit, if you must know. Waiting on more people.

Thinking back I have had some bulls I sure wish I had a few straws of semen on. Just not all that expensive to collect a few straws on a bull.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Thinking back I have had some bulls I sure wish I had a few straws of semen on. Just not all that expensive to collect a few straws on a bull.

Exactly. It's so much cheaper than people would think. So our straws costed us a little over $2 vs the 25-35 average we'd normally spend. Next year, we wouldn't use him on his daughters but we'd still be able to use him for a few years before that became a problem.

10 years from now you can still go back and use him again All depends on the bull and what he can do for you. 100 straws if the bull jumps good will cost about 600.00. If nothing else its pretty cheap insurance if something goes wrong with the bull.

Red Bull Breeder said:
10 years from now you can still go back and use him again All depends on the bull and what he can do for you. 100 straws if the bull jumps good will cost about 600.00. If nothing else its pretty cheap insurance if something goes wrong with the bull.

Yep. So I feel that if the original poster wants to collect on his bull, even if for just a jump or two, there isn't any harm in that and it's more cost effective.

Moves alright to my eye, nice long effortless strides.

I wouldn't mind getting mine collected so I can go back to them in years.. 50 straws would be all I need.

NEFarmwife said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Yep. So I feel that if the original poster wants to collect on his bull, even if for just a jump or two, there isn't any harm in that and it's more cost effective.

I think with what your doing and some the genetics you have in your herds......Heck Yeah, I would do some collecting. I had this talk the other day with my teenage daughter. We were discussing a commercial heifer we have and how good she looks, blah, blah. I asked her out of all the cattle she has seen, she's seen good ones, out of what herd would she want a cow from. Her response was the neighbor down the road where she got her show heifer, ironic that is the same farm that we used their herd bull (out of their progeny) to cover a heifer we couldn't get stuck. We often do give too much credit to the promotion and commotion, this farm, that farm, when animals that will improve our herd are already on the farm or just down the road.

CreekAngus said:
NEFarmwife said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

I think with what your doing and some the genetics you have in your herds......Heck Yeah, I would do some collecting. I had this talk the other day with my teenage daughter. We were discussing a commercial heifer we have and how good she looks, blah, blah. I asked her out of all the cattle she has seen, she's seen good ones, out of what herd would she want a cow from. Her response was the neighbor down the road where she got her show heifer, ironic that is the same farm that we used their herd bull (out of their progeny) to cover a heifer we couldn't get stuck. We often do give too much credit to the promotion and commotion, this farm, that farm, when animals that will improve our herd are already on the farm or just down the road.
Absolutely. I cannot take credit for this bull. He was bought as one of many pairs we purchased out of the Sand Point dispersal last spring. We raised him from about 2 weeks old though and knew he'd be something. We just didn't expect such exceptional EPDs.

It's interesting though, ones take on not collecting on a "homegrown bull" when you have the likes of Schaff. So, my question would be... if you won't use your own critter from a straw of Schaff semen, to breed your cows... why are you in the business? What I take from BH is he isn't confident enough in any of his matings or what he has on his farm... worthy of bringing into ones herd?

NEFarmwife said:
CreekAngus said:
NEFarmwife said:

Absolutely. I cannot take credit for this bull. He was bought as one of many pairs we purchased out of the Sand Point dispersal last spring. We raised him from about 2 weeks old though and knew he'd be something. We just didn't expect such exceptional EPDs.

It's interesting though, ones take on not collecting on a "homegrown bull" when you have the likes of Schaff. So, my question would be... if you won't use your own critter from a straw of Schaff semen, to breed your cows... why are you in the business? What I take from BH is he isn't confident enough in any of his matings or what he has on his farm... worthy of bringing into ones herd?

I'm not overly focused on creating bulls, there are people that do that WAY better than me, and as hard as it may be to swallow, better than you.

My focus is on females, that is the name of the game. I would never use your bull because, unlike you that makes every comment personal, I simply would want a better female in the pedigree, which I obtain with President or Raindance or Colonel, or Elation, or Supercharger and the list goes on.

My bulls will greatly improve 95% of the commercial herds in this area, if not all of them, and probably 90% nationwide. I have two Internationals and a President that will get used in time, but only if I cannot get around to AI'ng everyone. However that sure doesn't mean they are a President.

Creek wanted to know why I preferred SAV President, it's simple, he's the best. Period!

You can tell everyone how pleasantly surprised you were that your bull has great EPD's and such, but until there are serious bidders dropping deep into the six figures on him or his sons, you are in la la land.

The absolute lowest end bull in my tank is vastly better than your best home cooking, AND you didn't even breed the bull you are bragging about. Anyone can feed a bull, just look at Unmistakable, he's proof.

When my President sons hit 15 months, we will compare photos and videos. Maybe you can even show your bull pics of my Presidents and say "maybe one day you will look this good"

True Grit Farms said:
Alright now I'm as confused as Cooter Brown. I was under the impression America was the best and greatest Angus sire?

America is so 2 months ago, last month Byergo Black Magic was THE BULL.
Now we're back to President.

Waiting to see what will picked for nexts months bull.

Latest posts