Selling chickens eggs in the winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

AmeliaA

Reaction score
So this year I have had a small egg business in front of my house. Selling about 7 dozen a week and just recently hatched for chicks cause I can't keep up with how much are selling. By the time winter hits here in Michigan I should have about 24 hens laying. I know they will probably slow down in the winter but how can I sell them. I would sell them inside my home but I'm gone from 7am-6pm Mon-Fri. Is there a way I could sell outside during the cold winter months when temps get down to 0 degrees? Would a fridge work on the porch? Also don't want to put a lot of money into being able to sell in the winter. But would like to make my customers happy.

Have you thought about a good cooler? You know, like a chest type? Coleman, Yeti etc. If it will keep things, somewhat, protected from heat in summer, perhaps it will keep eggs from freezing in the winter. Afterall, they are very well insulated.

I think a cooler would work well as long as you put a heat pack or something in there to keep them warm. But slick is right, if you don't keep the coop heated a bit the eggs will freeze before you get them.

M.Magis":1rqrlmpo said:
I think a cooler would work well as long as you put a heat pack or something in there to keep them warm. But slick is right, if you don't keep the coop heated a bit the eggs will freeze before you get them.

:nod: :nod:

My suggestion would be to sell when you are home... Relying on someone to make sure the cooler is closed correctly is putting a lot of faith in people.

Who would want to be out selling eggs when the temperature is 0 degrees anyway?
Just the thought of it makes me want to :frowns: and :cry2:

greybeard":372p38io said:
Who would want to be out selling eggs when the temperature is 0 degrees anyway?
Just the thought of it makes me want to :frowns: and :cry2:

This whole thread didn't really make any sense to me truthfully... I didn't know eggs were so important that you have to come up with a contingency plan for people to get them in sub zero temps. I would venture to say if your gone 7-6 m-f then the egg business is definitely not worth worrying about availability for people buying them.

Latest posts