Selling all of the cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog":23j5efog said:
I am not sure what I will do with my inheritance. Was planning on leaving to my two daughters and their husbands but they already make so much more than I ever did, it seems kind of fruitless. Maybe the grand kids?

One thing I don't like about Exxon is they are the poster child for big energy and whenever some dumb activist or politician wants to try and make a point on climate change they sue or try to disrupt Exxon. They get sued like tobacco companies. California and NY both have suits against them because they "knew" their products were harmful.

Another option but in the same sector as Exxon is Vermillion Energy (VET). An international company like Exxon except much smaller. They seem to be very well run. They are smart and keep a low profile. Yields 6.5% at present price. I have about 10% of my stock money invested in them.
Several years ago folks on here were talking about inheritance and what they could and would leave their kids etc. One member told them he hoped the very last check he wrote before he died "bounced". :lol2: :lol:

plumber_greg":32o0frqo said:
Cg8, probably won't happen.
I don't care if you owe zero dollars on your cattle, or 300,000 on them when you sellout that is income. The total sale.
Say you got 200 cows, get 3k per head.
Do your other enterprises lose enough money to absorb 600,000 in income?
If not, at your age you will be giving uncle Sam somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000.
You don't just sell assets like that and go on a spending spree. Believe me, found that out. Gs
Research capital gains tax..We raise all our cows...so, makes it different.

I guarantee my parents will have a reverse mortgage on there home and owe people. I will get ZERO when they pass.

bbirder":17aoz6b7 said:
You can pay a CPA or Lawyer by the hour to answer tax questions. Google can answer most of that for free. None of that suff is rocket science.

LOL. I can't believe you made that statement. The IRS code is thicker than your truck and changes daily and you are going to google your answers. You deserve all the problems you get with the IRS. Do you really think we spend all of our lives studying the rules and regulations of the tax code to be replaced by Google. What do you do for a living besides Googling. Can you be replaced also.
For your information, I make a very good living FIXING returns that are filed by idiots like you. And then most of them file their tax return on the smartphone and don't have a printed copy. Love it..Next yr they don't remember their pin #.[/quote]
My tax return is down to about a half dozen pages these days. Still sure makes me feel good to have your name or someone in your profession on the bottom of it. :nod: I'm pretty good using Google....it's just understnding all the stuff I find that's the problem. Guess Brute is way ahead of me on that one.

TexasBred":3p3xp850 said:
bbirder":3p3xp850 said:
Brute23":3p3xp850 said:
You can pay a CPA or Lawyer by the hour to answer tax questions. Google can answer most of that for free. None of that suff is rocket science.

LOL. I can't believe you made that statement. The IRS code is thicker than your truck and changes daily and you are going to google your answers. You deserve all the problems you get with the IRS. Do you really think we spend all of our lives studying the rules and regulations of the tax code to be replaced by Google. What do you do for a living besides Googling. Can you be replaced also.
For your information, I make a very good living FIXING returns that are filed by idiots like you. And then most of them file their tax return on the smartphone and don't have a printed copy. Love it..Next yr they don't remember their pin #.
My tax return is down to about a half dozen pages these days. Still sure makes me feel good to have your name or someone in your profession on the bottom of it. :nod: I'm pretty good using Google....it's just understnding all the stuff I find that's the problem. Guess Brute is way ahead of me on that one.

That is why I still use a tax person 1) "there is wisdom in council" 2) its cheap insurance between yourself and the IRS

Im not saying you can get on line and Google up the tax code one night and be ready to go. Im saying you should be playing and active roll in your taxes. Every year you should learn more and more and more. Do not just trust because they are a "professional" they do not make mistakes and the better you understand your taxes the better job your can do of getting the correct information to your tax person.

At the end of the day your are responsible for you. It not your tax person's fault, or your lawyer's, or your investment person's fault if some thing is not the way you wanted it. Its your fault.

I'm around a lot of really wealthy people and they always laugh about the famous last word's of a fool "I got a guy who handles that...."

Brute 23":3knfdjg8 said:
TexasBred":3knfdjg8 said:
bbirder":3knfdjg8 said:
For your information, I make a very good living FIXING returns that are filed by idiots like you. And then most of them file their tax return on the smartphone and don't have a printed copy. Love it..Next yr they don't remember their pin #.

That is why I still use a tax person 1) "there is wisdom in council" 2) its cheap insurance between yourself and the IRS

Im not saying you can get on line and Google up the tax code one night and be ready to go. Im saying you should be playing and active roll in your taxes. Every year you should learn more and more and more. Do not just trust because they are a "professional" they do not make mistakes and the better you understand your taxes the better job your can do of getting the correct information to your tax person.

At the end of the day your are responsible for you. It not your tax person's fault, or your lawyer's, or your investment person's fault if some thing is not the way you wanted it. Its your fault.

I'm around a lot of really wealthy people and they always laugh about the famous last word's of a fool "I got a guy who handles that...."
At the end of the day if there are mistakes on my stuff and I gave my accountant reliable, authentic information, it's HIS fault and his liability if it causes me to pay more taxes and/or penalty. It's my job only to run my business well and keep all records available for him and IRS.

Brute you're backtracking and totally reversing yourself on what you said earlier, but it's good you recognize you made a major fubar and are trying to correct it. :lol2:

To all of you following this thread,
I hesitate to get back in here but feel I have to bring this to everyone's attention.
This is a closeup of what you sign on your tax return. READ THE STATEMENT ABOVE WHERE YOU SIGN. Most people never pay attention or read this. When you think that the person preparing your return is responsible for the results, you are incorrect. If and when you have problems with the IRS, many if not most CPA's will point out that statement to you and offer to fix your problem for a fee. You are ultimately responsible for your own return.
Sorry about the clip. Did it too fast.

TexasBred":200ym5vu said:
Brute 23":200ym5vu said:
TexasBred":200ym5vu said:

At the end of the day if there are mistakes on my stuff and I gave my accountant reliable, authentic information, it's HIS fault and his liability if it causes me to pay more taxes and/or penalty. It's my job only to run my business well and keep all records available for him and IRS.

Brute you're backtracking and totally reversing yourself on what you said earlier, but it's good you recognize you made a major fubar and are trying to correct it. :lol2:

You are wrong. See above. When you sign it's yours.

"At the end of the day if there are mistakes on my stuff and I gave my accountant reliable, authentic information, it's HIS fault and his liability if it causes me to pay more taxes and/or penalty. It's my job only to run my business well and keep all records available for him and IRS."

I should add---If you have provided the correct information and he or she failed to use it correctly, you may have a case to get that person to own up to it, but ultimately you are responsible in the IRS's eyes. They do not like to get between two parties arguments so they assess the taxpayer. You would have to get relief through the courts and most individuals do not want to enter their tax info into the public record.

hurleyjd":1qarv4yd said:
KMURBAN":1qarv4yd said:
hurleyjd":1qarv4yd said:
Good chance I will gift the cows to the two kids and let them sell them There is no tax on a gift. The value of the gift will be subtracted from whatever the exemption is on inheritance tax for the future which is way more than I will ever be worth.[/quote

You could start selling them private treaty for cash. ( Just don't forget to pay your taxes on them :lol2: )

You could also start dishing out 15k ( or max) per year to each child starting ( years ago) or now. Why not let them enjoy some of it while your alive and avoid as much tax as possible.

A good CPA should have told you this year's ago. Figure what you need to live out your life, plus investments you want to do. Then start gifting as much as you can. Don't forget the grandchildren as well if you have any.

Just my 2 cents, not a legal financial advisor...

I have been waiting until the children had the maturity to handle their inheritance without squandering it on big pickups and things that at the moment they thought they had to have but did not need.
You're 77, so in all likelihood your kids are what.. pushing 50? Are they going to get much more mature than now?

Nesikep":2afim1om said:
hurleyjd":2afim1om said:

I have been waiting until the children had the maturity to handle their inheritance without squandering it on big pickups and things that at the moment they thought they had to have but did not need.

You're 77, so in all likelihood your kids are what.. pushing 50? Are they going to get much more mature than now?
My Son is 56 and my daughter is 50. Both successful and on their own and have been since they were in their twenties. I have helped them along the way and they appreciate it. I pretty well raised them free range to make their own decisions never pushed them to do what made me happy. Always told them to be independent and make their own way. Both are smart enough to know that there is no way to make a living with cattle. Any way both are trying to influence me in my decision. Land prices and all the inputs to raise cattle is to large for the amount of return. The land I own is land that some I paid $88.75 per acre. I did buy 88 acres several years ago For $1500 per acre and has not had a return yet. But it could possibly bring $3000 to $4500 per acre. Really no profit until sold. My mother in law had a great way to pass her inheritance along. She turned everything into cash and made CD,s to each daughter with a POD easiest way to close her account in no time flat.

hurleyjd":wllcfiir said:
Nesikep":wllcfiir said:
hurleyjd":wllcfiir said:

My Son is 56 and my daughter is 50. Both successful and on their own and have been since they were in their twenties. I have helped them along the way and they appreciate it. I pretty well raised them free range to make their own decisions never pushed them to do what made me happy. Always told them to be independent and make their own way. Both are smart enough to know that there is no way to make a living with cattle. Any way both are trying to influence me in my decision. Land prices and all the inputs to raise cattle is to large for the amount of return. The land I own is land that some I paid $88.75 per acre. I did buy 88 acres several years ago For $1500 per acre and has not had a return yet. But it could possibly bring $3000 to $4500 per acre. Really no profit until sold. My mother in law had a great way to pass her inheritance along. She turned everything into cash and made CD,s to each daughter with a POD easiest way to close her account in no time flat.

After posting that, you NEED to talk to a good CPA, and or tax lawyer.

True Grit Farms":1qrs5gz1 said:
hurleyjd":1qrs5gz1 said:
Nesikep":1qrs5gz1 said:

That was what my mother in law did. Estate well below being taxed. That was what she was advised. I have a good CPA and tax lawyer. Gonna pay taxes to live in this great country people not paying taxes will kill America.

lots of financial advise here.....and a wee bit of it is sound. Your job is to choose who the wee bit belongs to. Incidentally, if someone is in their retirement years, and then they take a hit, and lose all or a chunk of their nest egg, would they want to have to rebuild it? Nope, so diversify conservatively. Personally, I'd prefer MF's over stocks, and one last thing is to consider this...

If your money person makes money when you buy, and again when you sell, think his/her motives might not align with yours? Choose wisely.

True Grit Farms":2gy1csao said:
hurleyjd":2gy1csao said:
Nesikep":2gy1csao said:

I agree with True Grit. You can talk all you want about how low Estate taxes are. But, if you liquidate before you die, the Capital Gains tax will kill you. If you leave land through a will, the person inheriting it gets to wipe the slate clean and their basis becomes the fair market price at the time of your death.

sstterry":ho40tf91 said:
True Grit Farms":ho40tf91 said:
hurleyjd":ho40tf91 said:

I agree with True Grit. You can talk all you want about how low Estate taxes are. But, if you liquidate before you die, the Capital Gains tax will kill you. If you leave land through a will, the person inheriting it gets to wipe the slate clean and their basis becomes the fair market price at the time of your death.

Or persons, I have my doubts about this whole Hurleyjd thread. Anyone with anything knows rule number one. All financial decisions need to be tax driven, if you don't live by that you can't get ahead.

BY JULIE GARBER Updated February 14, 2018
The federal estate tax was repealed as of January 1, 2010, but then it was resurrected retroactively back to January 1 on December 17. This tax is collected on the transfer of a person's assets to his or her heirs and beneficiaries after his death. The total tax due is calculated by adding up the fair market values of all the decedent's assets as of his date of death, although the executor of his estate retains the right to have everything valued on an alternate date.

Credits and allowable estate tax deductions are subtracted from the total, then a percentage of tax applies to the balance over a certain threshold called an exemption.

Who Is Subject to the Federal Estate Tax?
The estates of each and every U.S. citizen are subject to the federal estate tax, but very few estates actually have to pay it. The Internal Revenue Code effectively gives each U.S. citizen a "coupon" to apply against his estate tax bill—the exemption. This exemption was worth $3.5 million in 2009, and it was worth $5 million in 2010 and 2011. It increased to $5.12 million in 2012, then to $5.25 million in 2013. By 2014, it was up to $5.34 million, then it increased again to $5.43 million in 2015 and to $5.45 million in 2016 before reaching $5.49 million in 2017.

So how does this exemption work? If the value of the net estate—the gross estate reduced by allowable estate tax credits and deductions—does not exceed $5.49 million or the current amount of the exemption, the estate will pass to its heirs and beneficiaries free from federal estate taxes.

If the net estate exceeds $5.49 million, only the value over this amount is taxed.

A Little History
Under the provisions of the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization and Job Creation Act of 2010—"TRUIRJCA" for short—the estate tax exemption was indexed for inflation, which meant that it would increase incrementally each year to keep pace with the economy.

TRUIRJCA set the tax rate at 35 percent. These provisions were only supposed to remain in place until December 31, 2012, at which time the federal estate tax laws were supposed to revert back to those that were in effect in 200 and 2002.

This meant that on January 1, 2013, the federal estate tax exemption was supposed to drop all the way down to $1 million again and the tax rate would jump to 55 percent. But Congress and President Obama acted in the early days of 2013 to pass the American Taxpayer Relief Act—"ATRA" for short—which made permanent the changes to the rules governing estate taxes, gift taxes and generation skipping transfer taxes implemented under TRUIRJCA.

This portability of the estate tax exemption between married couples, which was introduced for the first time under TRUIRJCA, was also made permanent. This portability provision allows the estate of one spouse to shift any unused federal estate tax exemption to the surviving spouse so she might inherit from him without her estate exceeding the exemption in the year of her own death.

What Happens If an Estate Is Taxable?
When a gross estate exceeds the federal estate tax exemption for the year of the decedent's death, the estate must file a federal estate tax return called Form 706, United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return.

Form 706 must be filed with the IRS within nine months of the decedent's date of death. The estate tax payment is due at the same time Form 706 is due. Although an automatic extension can be applied for using Form 4768, Application for Extension of Time To File a Return and/or Pay U.S. Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Taxes, the payment itself cannot be delayed without accruing interest.

If the decedent's estate doesn't owe a tax because its value doesn't exceed the exemption amount and the executor wants to give the portability bump to the surviving spouse, a federal estate tax return must be filed even though a tax isn't due. The return will simply indicate that the portability option is being exercised, alerting the IRS to the fact.

When My mother died in 1975 the exemption was $32000. Needless to say we paid inheritance taxes. Been a while but I think we paid around $50000in taxes. She died in later November and if she had lived another month and died in January there would have been no tax. My father died in 2002 and we ended up paying $110000 in taxes. Died in August and had lived until the next year then no taxes due.