SALER CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

Most of my salers are pretty flighty, bought a very calm purebred bull and hope the calves are a bit easier than their mamas. Next spring is my first calvingseason with these salers and when everything goes right I'm thinking to let them run with a sim x maine anjou bull . Most of them are heiffers and they still have to learn a lot.

ANAZAZI":2guzegjb said:
:welcome: back; missed you!
Good to see you. I don't know a soul on this link. Start a thread on another breed of cow and get a dozen new members and supporters of that breed. :lol2: :lol2:

well. 15 years ago we had a saler bull, and here's what I have to say from my experiences
big framed cows, 7's aren't rare
temperament? the bull was nice, the cows, well, there'd be the ones that would kill you in an instant when they had calved, and others were docile... so if you have predators they are great, if you have to handle them a lot, not so much... one of our neighbors had Salers, and he never lost a calf with them, when he switched to RA, he started to lose up to 15 a year to wolves.. the saler cows would huddle up with the calves between them and take on anything that came around
Salers have good small udders and lots of milk, never had a saler cow with bad teats or any problems there
they also have good hooves
Dark red color means sale barn buyers who don't really know the breed will think it's a red angus that's particularly tall
the bull we had was sold at 9 years old and 2800 lbs

here is a picture of Rosie, who is half saler half hereford cross... she's particularly blond... the previous comment about the tailstock can be well observed on her, though the picture may not show it too well.. I think she's about 12 years old in the picture
LillooetOct92007086-1.jpg

you can still see the Saler tail and small udder in her daughter here..
NewFolder241.jpg

we were told we have a salorn. she has a very long tail switch, very tall, docile, she has had two calves. Her bag is never really big but she raises a big calf so her mild must be really good and rich. her teats are small but longer than most for some reason. if anyone knows anything about this breed please share info. thanks.

This is a Saler Optimizer I have. She is out of a purebred Angus I AI'd to Bouncer, the 04 NWSS Grand Champ Saler bull. She will be 4 in February and is due to have her third calf in January. She is very gentle, keeps in good condition and has settled first breeding each year.
870883542_photobucket_17923_.jpg

I am using a Saler bull on my cows. I should start having calves in the next month. I have 3 Longhorns, 2 Shorthorn X, a Saler and a Holstein all bred to him. All of my cows are young, so I don't plan on keeping any replacements, but I am anxious to see their temperment. The bull and Saler cow are both full blooded and are very level headed and easy to get along with.

crossbredcalves":2ippg0g3 said:
I am using a Saler bull on my cows. I should start having calves in the next month. I have 3 Longhorns, 2 Shorthorn X, a Saler and a Holstein all bred to him. All of my cows are young, so I don't plan on keeping any replacements, but I am anxious to see their temperment. The bull and Saler cow are both full blooded and are very level headed and easy to get along with.
if your bull is even average u will not be disappointed with your calves.if u r wanting to build your herd don't b afraid to keep replacements from any of these crosses.

Salerbull14.jpg

This is the Saler bull I am using. He belongs to my vet. He is registered, but I don't know anything about his breeding.

He does not have horns; that is the Saler cow right behind him, and she has cut off horns.

Dug up an old topic. We had four Salers cows we bought in the mid or late 80's. One was wild and lasted a few years, one was older and a good cow and two of them lasted forever. 16 years later, we have descendants tracing to one of the cows that causes us problems. It seems her calf got cut out last year because it didn't fit our other calves. The heifer weighed 761 lbs at weaning. I'm sure the buyers thought she was a fall calf, but she was the 12th calf born. It appears the cow has given us the same problem this year after looking at her calf today. :clap: The ones we have left are 1/4 salers 1/4 south devon and 1/2 red angus bred back red angus, but you can still see a little of the Salers look and they are sure producers. Is there a source for deep bodied, good red Salers cattle anymore? or are they all black now. I know that it is a little hit and miss on disposition, but the ones we had are great old cows.

i have 12 saler females and 2 of them are red and i got 1 blk bull and 1 red bull.my salers are my easiest keeping cattle that i got.if u get on cattlerange.com then click salers there is a guy in oregon that has a bunch of salers for sale most of the time.i guess the only thing i could say bad about my salers is that a couple of the cows are a little bit too tall.

The biggest reason for me to post was that all you ever hear about them is that "20 years ago, I had two and they were nuts". I'm sure they've worked on that part. If they've kept the production ability that they had, they should be pretty great in a crossbreeding program.

Dutchcowboy, nice bull, looked quite similar to the Saler we had, minus the horns

MF135
the calf is the cow's second calf, and the first was the same size, though didn't have the butt that the Gelbvieh gives you, the cow is 1/2 shorthorn, 1/4 Saler, 1/4 Hereford. We can't complain at all about the longevity of Salers, We only have 2 1/2 Saler cows left, and they are 16 and 12 years old, though the 12 year old is on the cull list (leg injury that's not healing up)... The one on the cull list has always been shy, though not really wild, the other is a doll, just don't try to milk her... she could make it to 20 years... I am supplementing her a little bit now, about 8 lbs of grain a week if the pastures are short... I can also say that the salers seem to be efficient animals, they make great calves without eating you out of house and home

Nesikep":17xjp8yk said:
Dutchcowboy, nice bull, looked quite similar to the Saler we had, minus the horns

MF135
the calf is the cow's second calf, and the first was the same size, though didn't have the butt that the Gelbvieh gives you, the cow is 1/2 shorthorn, 1/4 Saler, 1/4 Hereford. We can't complain at all about the longevity of Salers, We only have 2 1/2 Saler cows left, and they are 16 and 12 years old, though the 12 year old is on the cull list (leg injury that's not healing up)... The one on the cull list has always been shy, though not really wild, the other is a doll, just don't try to milk her... she could make it to 20 years... I am supplementing her a little bit now, about 8 lbs of grain a week if the pastures are short... I can also say that the salers seem to be efficient animals, they make great calves without eating you out of house and home

Why did you move away from Salers?

Our bull was old and got ornery, and it's hard to find Saler beeders in this area... Also I worked for a shorthorn breeder and liked what I saw there, so we went with that for a while

Thought I'd dig this topic back up..

Just looked at the Canadian Saler Assn member list...LOTS in Alberta to Ontario, NOT ONE in BC, but PEI, NB and Nova Scotia all have breeders.. WTF is up with that?. I've got a Limo bull for the next 5 or so years, but I think a Saler would be good for me again when he's done, or a Saler/GV could interest me as well.

Meanwhile, The cow I mentioned above didn't make it to 20.. only 17 due to a bad hip... Her last 3 calves (GV crosses) were all heifers and I kept all of them, and all look like they'll turn out well... Her last one was the biggest heifer of the herd and weaned right around 700lbs.

Looking at the Saler registry and the breed trends, One thing I noticed is that they seemed really popular (lots of stats gathered) in the early-mid 90's, and has been declining since then... We did have that 'hit and miss' with the temperament, but I'll say they're hard to beat for udders, teats, easy calving, good hooves, and from what I can see, feed efficiency too.

One of our distant neighbors had a herd of mostly Saler cows and made the move to Angus, and he's progressively been losing more and more calves to wolves as his herd has less Saler.. He said the Saler mothers would bunch up like buffalo with the calves behind them and would fiercely protect them, and the Angus would try to do it on their own, and the wolves are smarter than the cow.

Latest posts