SALER CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't got none of them myself. Used to be an ole boy on here from over in Tn. had some. He was ten feet tall with arms big as a oak tree and had ever kinda a shooting peice known to man. Regular killer he was. You kin to him by any chance.

Red Bull Breeder":38penfdp said:
Don't got none of them myself. Used to be an ole boy on here from over in Tn. had some. He was ten feet tall with arms big as a oak tree and had ever kinda a shooting peice known to man. Regular killer he was. You kin to him by any chance.
not so fer as i know.but i reckon were all kin in 1 way or another.

Saler cattle used to be popular in our neck of the woods at one time but most ranchers got tired of running from them most are high strung, but they are easy calving and gain good but agressive in my opinion.

Had quite a few. Had to add a pole to the tops of all of our stack yards. From a horse they look you right in the eye, very nervous, and high strung.

Watch for them in a sale they have a very long tail switch that nearly drags the ground. Look like a tall red shorthorn except for the long tail.

Want no more.

Probably the best footed cattle as a breed there are. I think anybody still selling Saler bulls has got the crazies bred out-the worst ones were no worse than some of the Angus cattle we have around now.

The ones I've had to do with are very placid. They're very big and have quite the coat of hair. The breeder who had them still had stud cows breeding into their late teens and early 20s. Many whom he used to show in cow/calf competitions.

aussie_cowgirl":3bg84jlz said:
The ones I've had to do with are very placid. They're very big and have quite the coat of hair. The breeder who had them still had stud cows breeding into their late teens and early 20s. Many whom he used to show in cow/calf competitions.

Sounds like someone early on did a better job of selecting Down Under.

3waycross":349zgn62 said:
aussie_cowgirl":349zgn62 said:

Sounds like someone early on did a better job of selecting Down Under.

As far as I know they're the only breeder in the state too. I know breeds board hates shows but I handled and showed one of their bulls when I was about 15. He was maybe 18 months or something. Big and quiet. No issues at all with him.

From what I read here, the saler cattle of america have had big problems with disposition, likely because the fondation animals were some culls from france, and not the best animals. The breed seems very functional from what I gather.

my salers are all very calm except 1 first calf heifer and shes not too bad.my bull is by far the calmest bull i have ever had.i have never pulled a calf sired by a saler bull from a cow or heifer.they have good feet and legs.mine r all black except 4 1 red.

piedmontese":355edg08 said:
my salers are all very calm except 1 first calf heifer and shes not too bad.my bull is by far the calmest bull i have ever had.i have never pulled a calf sired by a saler bull from a cow or heifer.they have good feet and legs.mine r all black except 4 1 red.

Why don't you post some pictures. I for one would like to see what yours look like.

Northern Rancher":1q5tui5c said:
Probably the best footed cattle as a breed there are. I think anybody still selling Saler bulls has got the crazies bred out-the worst ones were no worse than some of the Angus cattle we have around now.
probably a good thing as much running as they say they do :p

I did have a few itchy Saler moments-I was up at a friends gathering 200 Saler/Angus yearling steers in a big bush pasture. We had them bunched and moving through a meadow-we went by a small bluff and a black bear came out and ran through them. Made the day a bit longer.

Northern Rancher":39r9c7b6 said:
I did have a few itchy Saler moments-I was up at a friends gathering 200 Saler/Angus yearling steers in a big bush pasture. We had them bunched and moving through a meadow-we went by a small bluff and a black bear came out and ran through them. Made the day a bit longer.
that would do it. or a wild hog somthing about a hog that scares the he%& out of em
:cowboy:

We find them useful in training the elk how to run and jump.

There is a guy about 4 miles up river from me who has some. They show up in my pasture from time to time. And he is also on the other side of a fairly big river so they can swim good too.

Dave":3f5r8dsk said:
We find them useful in training the elk how to run and jump.

There is a guy about 4 miles up river from me who has some. They show up in my pasture from time to time. And he is also on the other side of a fairly big river so they can swim good too.
-

There are some posts that appear occasionally that are humorous, and tend to break the tension which invades the sometimes reasonable discussions occurring on these pages.

THIS is one of those rare appearances which should be copied, enlarged, and posted on one's refrigerator door - to be read every morning in order to establish a HAPPY attitude for everyone to begin their day! :lol: :clap: :clap: :tiphat: :tiphat:

I particularly like the phrase "- - - so they can swim good too". This just enhances the Functional Traits of the breed, which strengthens their desirability in a cross-breeding operation regarding the protocols necessary for muscle expression, and skeletal structure (sound feet and legs, shoulder and spine). "Docility" would seem to rear it's head in your assement routine also! :shock: :???:

As "Dirty Harry" would say, Dave - " You have made my day"! :wave:

DOC HARRIS

I have been around Salers quite a bit. The folks had a pretty high percentage herd from which our own herd started. They have great feet, udders, growth, fertility, longevity, calving ease, stay bunched up, cover rough pastures, are protective of their calves, drive well and can out walk a horse. We have sold a lot of 15 to 16 year old Salers cows with no problems only to make room for younger cattle. They are smart cattle but very flighty. If you are used to working with them you love the way they work. The cows have to train you how to work them. Most never saw a chute except for vaccinations.

The down side for me is that they have to much frame and are hard to market (flighty cattle). We don't use Salers bulls anymore but still have crossbred cows that are great. Salers may still have a place in a crossbreeding program for us in the future.

3waycross":1vtzlgmc said:
piedmontese":1vtzlgmc said:

Why don't you post some pictures. I for one would like to see what yours look like.
i want 2 post some pics of my salers and my piedmontese i just need 2 get my wife to come take the pics 4 me and post them.

Latest posts