Saler

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure from where you plan to secure a bull but I do believe Salers' is a French mountain breed.
I had one I crossed with Red Angus and within half an hour after birth they would be running around
the cow in the snow. In my opinion the 1/2 blood calves were flighty at the first hint of any variation
in their surroundings. With the Black is Best movement so entrenched I doubt if there is any of the
original Red line Salers left so temperament may not be a concern. I had no problems with calving
and the calves were actually quite striking in my opinion, Two years of them satisfied my curiosity.
I would say go to the auction and see what sells. Good luck what ever way you decide,

Salers are a bit like Brahman, need low stress handling, and if cornered they WILL get out
That said, they are good cattle, and they can be very docile if they have a docile momma that doesn't teach them to freak out

This one (1/8th salers) and her momma and grandma were all suckers for attention
IMG_20220529_095730_810 poppy.jpg

I've got a few Salers X cows i retained out of a black Salers bull I had several years ago, and they all raise a good calf, and are calm as any of my other cattle. I think a lot of the disposition issues were culled/bred out of them over the years like the Limos did. If I was needing a bull and came across a good one I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. If you did get one I would make sure it's Homo black and homo polled if you're wanting to sell calves at the market. I got a red calf here and there and one with horns every once in a while out of the bull I had. Some have the longer fur than others, so that would be something to consider since you are in Florida. I live in Tennessee which isn't nearly as hot or humid as you, but they did fine here during the summer.

Salers are a bit like Brahman, need low stress handling, and if cornered they WILL get out
That said, they are good cattle, and they can be very docile if they have a docile momma that doesn't teach them to freak out

This one (1/8th salers) and her momma and grandma were all suckers for attention
View attachment 22309
1/8 doesn't count Nesikep. 😂.

I have had several Saler crosses. Only had a few that were 1/2 so not a big representative but they were not bad at all. Not as bad as the limi crosses we have and had in the past. My son worked for a farm that raised purebred limi's and showed.... the cows would kill you if they could get you when checking the new calves. A few weeks old they were better, but still high headed.
Bought a limi bull 2 years ago. He puts nice calves on the ground, he is not bad to work around, but half the heifer calves are high headed. After awhile it gets old. We have kept a few of the calmer ones but not very satisfied with some of them either.
Most of our commercial cows are angus and crosses... a mixed crayon box with several reds and some hereford crosses in there too. Got a bunch of smokies and even some more of the "white" chars that are part who knows what else. We can mostly always go back to the standoffish and "stupid acting" ones and find limi in their background.
We have a small number that are Red Poll and they are some of the best momma's , best for grazing in the hot weather, and the quietest ones ... except for 1 that was stupid and got sold after trying to kill me years ago. Overall, the only thing about them is that they don't have the hindquarters on them that I like. Miss our old bulls though, their dispositions were like puppy dogs... follow into the trailer with a bucket and a promise to go to see some "girls"... one got arthritis after breaking a bone in his hock, vet said we would be lucky to save him but we put him with the sheep at the house for 6 months and had him for another 5 years and he settled everything we used him on....finally at 13 he had too much trouble getting up and down... buried our other one this past spring at 12 1/2... just found him dead one day in the field with a bunch of cows that he was in with as a clean up.....
If only red would bring a decent price for the quality of the calves; around here they kill you if it is not black or a smoky, rwf are off but the ones that look hereford will get trounced pricewise.

1/8 doesn't count Nesikep. 😂.
that's why I included her momma and grandma (1/2 Salers). We had a Salers bull for about 6 years in the early 90's, and lots of experience with them in that time
Local guy I know who has a ranch in some real rough backcountry full of wolves had a herd of Salers, with horns, he didn't lose calves until he switched to Angus. The Salers mommas would bunch up like bison and keep the calves in the middle and there wasn't anything that was going to get those babies!

That's a whole lot of pokey stabby things!
Breed-History-1.jpg

Here's my 1/2 Salers great grandma, she was good with me, but she wouldn't let her calf be more than a few feet away from her til it was 3 weeks old

Her shorthorn sired daughter actually looked and behaved far more Salers than her
IMG_7080sm.jpg

I have had several Saler crosses. Only had a few that were 1/2 so not a big representative but they were not bad at all. Not as bad as the limi crosses we have and had in the past. My son worked for a farm that raised purebred limi's and showed.... the cows would kill you if they could get you when checking the new calves. A few weeks old they were better, but still high headed.
Bought a limi bull 2 years ago. He puts nice calves on the ground, he is not bad to work around, but half the heifer calves are high headed. After awhile it gets old. We have kept a few of the calmer ones but not very satisfied with some of them either.
We had a Limo bull for a few years, I'm down to 2 of his daughters, I found them to be quite stupid as well, though none of mine were aggressive... They'd just lose their marbles if there was any pressure on them.
This one is a limo sired daughter of the blue tag cow above. She likes scritches on her terms, trouble free cow but definitely not very smart
IMG_20220907_111913_682.jpg

Grazed Saler crosses. They foraged well. Learned to load them out by myself. They did not tolerate strangers.

Used Limi and Limflex bulls for a while. Muscular calves that were born w/o assistance. Replacement females were a disaster. Slow to mature and just too big. Great terminal cross.

Grazed Saler crosses. They foraged well. Learned to load them out by myself. They did not tolerate strangers.

Used Limi and Limflex bulls for a while. Muscular calves that were born w/o assistance. Replacement females were a disaster. Slow to mature and just too big. Great terminal cross.
I found them to be a bit framey as well, the limo cow I posted is a bit of an example, though her shorthorn influence didn't shrink her by any means. This limo steer was from the gelbvieh sired maternal sister, he packed some good weight

20150807_120951sm.jpg

Not sure from where you plan to secure a bull but I do believe Salers' is a French mountain breed.
I had one I crossed with Red Angus and within half an hour after birth they would be running around
the cow in the snow. In my opinion the 1/2 blood calves were flighty at the first hint of any variation
in their surroundings. With the Black is Best movement so entrenched I doubt if there is any of the
original Red line Salers left so temperament may not be a concern. I had no problems with calving
and the calves were actually quite striking in my opinion, Two years of them satisfied my curiosity.
I would say go to the auction and see what sells. Good luck what ever way you decide,
Jo Colmore in North Georgia has them. From the pictures he has sent me they look really good.