Sale Barn polices?

Help Support CattleToday:

PAaugus":2nusotu3 said:
I won't tell you the LIVESTOCK MARKET's name, but's in right beside Interstate 81 @ the 5 mi marker very close to Greencastle, PA It's well known for 1st Friday of the month feeder sales. I have seen trailers there from NY. ( at least a 5 hr drive ) Thankfully they don't lose feeders or those guys would really be disappointed

You may as well have said the name.. I don't understand how you could lose money on a cow and wouldn't just say the name. :???: Personally if I get screwed unjustly i'm telling everyone.

kenny thomas":2k69o3o7 said:
call the Livestock Marketing Association. I see they are a member. Also call P&S and ask about them collecting insurance and not paying.

Yep

I send a email to the LMA a cuple days ago, no response. As far as the name, I think most farmers are smart enought to put 2 + 2 together. After thinking about this a day. I have come to realize. First, it could have happen the way he says, and if I had taken a poor sick cow I might of believed it. But I know she wasn't in bad shape. Second, In my mind, there are more reasons to question the outcome.
No proof of death, "This happens all the time, slow to get notice, he's doing farmers a favor by paiding to have the cow's buried "( or what else he does with them, I couldn't quite make sense of that because he was curseing at me )
When I pointed out at he could say the cow died, no proof, or they could switche tags, or cow died after sale in the pen, they could back mark the the tag. BUT last nite in bed, this thought come to my mind.
The sale is Monday nites. They didn't even need to run it thru the sale ring. Said it's dead. They have an other sale on Thursdays, run it thru under another name. ???
It just doesn't make sense that a man would be so willing to pay to get rid of your dead cow and not charge you, But blow up in your face if questioned about proof of death. Why not take a picture of dead cow? But basically tell you the insurnace for for animals getting out.But you are being charged for it. Makes you think!

DLD":3ksy2cq0 said:
kenny thomas":3ksy2cq0 said:
call the Livestock Marketing Association. I see they are a member. Also call P&S and ask about them collecting insurance and not paying.

Don't email, Call the Livestock Marketing Association. Also Call packers and stockyards. Get on a first name basis with these people. It is there job to ensure that you don't get taken to the cleaners by a sale yard. Make sure they do their job.

Dave":3deiekch said:
DLD":3deiekch said:
kenny thomas":3deiekch said:

Don't email, Call the Livestock Marketing Association. Also Call packers and stockyards.

:nod: :nod:

I was going to say.....call these people. It is much more personal than e-mails, and be more effective communication on this matter.

Thanks, I did call the P&S (GIPSA) the other day. The woman was nice enought there, but she made excuses about the buget cuts and they can't do investigations like they would like. She said she felt my pain, but she could't do anything. She gave me another phone # , turned out to be an answering machine. 2 days now, no return call. You have to admit, our US employees get high paying jobs, collect great retirements, good insurance and don't seem to have do anything to earn it. ( but make excuses )

Well I just got off the phone with LMA. Seems that they have no authorty about the sale barns. They won't discuss what their insurance covers. It 's for sale barn operators, and if they ( the operator ) don't want to file a claim there is nothing they can do.
I did call the Sheriff's Dept. More run around! Told me to call the State Police . I told them I took cow to sale barn, and sale barn said it died. They didn't see anything wrong! I pointed out that I have no proof that cow died, that I wasn't contacted till 2 days later. I see it as a theft. They then stated I would have to come to the station and talk to someone there. Things sure aren't like they use to be!

PAaugus":1rdgmek5 said:
Things sure aren't like they use to be!

No, unfortunately, they aren't. :(

Sorry to hear that you're not getting anywhere with this. :frowns:

Next time I got to the sale, I'm going to inquire about their policy on these matters.

I think that (if you haven't already) request their policy in writing. (Before they alter it.) See if you have a leg to stand on, and take them to court. Let a judge decide.
You should also send them a certified letter with your version of the story and offer them a chance to rectify their mistakes or you will be taking them to court.

I asked, They don't have a policy in writing. I don't need another tongue lashing, I am satified that my Lord will make things right if the owner doesn't change his ways. I did contact my local state rep. He is interested in the matter. He told me, one of his first jobs was working on a dairy farm. He said he would research sale barn polices, and agreed that they should have to provide proof of death. ( a picture showing the ear tag if it had one, or more so the owner could confirm it was his/her cow.) I told him I would like that they had to contact you within xx hrs and before it was hauled away, so you would have the chance to go look at the animal. This would insure that there wouldn't be any trickly going on. He said he didn't see why a sale barn operator wouldn't use cameras and record video to propect themselves. It could prove their side. Makes sense, In todays world, there are so many crazies running around, it could help them in other ways.

Just to be curious I asked the sale barn I frequent yesterday. They said if it was not marked as being a problem when unloaded then they would the average price. He said they just usually cover instead of turning it in on insurance.

Well I made first page on the 10/10/2015 Lancaster Farming Newspaper. Story tells my side and and the owner's story. In his side, he states he carries insurance with LMA . But I have a email from LMA where they state he doesn't have an insurance policy with them!
Second he states that "some sale barns charge for animal disposal" BUT the staff writer states I. J. Perez, a GIPSA spokesman states
" They may not bill a farmer for disposing of an animal that dies at the auction "
In the story, it states Greencastle charges 6 cents /$100.00 on every animal's sale price that reimbures the owner if the animal accidentally dies. Mr. Jeff Craig also stated in another sentence that
" It's certainly a relief to know that the farmer or producer is not going to be out completely " I don't know how to take this statement?
He states "Only good healthy livestock are insured, but we charge it on every head" Then he states if an animal gets out or breaks a leg, it is covered. Finally, he makes it sound like most farmers don't ask for documentation when an animal dies, meaning farmers are bringing in cows that they thought might die. ( which is the reason for this entire post, I didn't have any reason to supect that there was anything wrong with my cow. )
I was slightly dissapointed because in the end the story doesn't tell farmers to check out their sale barn polices. It didn't suggest that Sale Barns should have to show proof of death. Please Check to see if your animals are covered!
Craig did state that they lose about 4 a week out of 600 head. Does anybody know why a man would paid to have 4 dead cows a week hauled away and buried???? 200 cows a year?? a guess $50- $100 each? That's $10,000 to $20,000 per year, thats POOR business or there 's more to it. What's your thoughts??

They charge 250. an animal here. I recently had 2 horses put down and the vet is connected to the sale yard. (So I would assume that the sale yard pays the same price for disposal.)

Sounds like he is blowing smoke. I think that I would have a continuation of the story to clarify some things.

The plot thickens: The Lancaster Farming Newspaper printed a story of my plight on Oct 10 2015. In the story, the owner Mr Jeff Craig led the reporter to believe that he had insurance thru LMA. But,Thanks to one of posters here that suggested I contact LMA things are getting interesting. What Mr Craig didn't know was LMA sent me an email stating Greencastle Livestock Market did not have a livestock policy with them. After the story printed , I contacted LFN and sent them a copy. The reporter did some fact finding and Mr Craig said he self insures. He made the statement that he runs the program on his own. He also said: " Not everybody in this industry has something like this" See Follow up story in LFN Oct17 th issue. It appears he has been doing this for several years and he is not licensed to sell insurance in PA.
So it appears Mr Craig has been selling his own insurance in house, he decided what animals were covered, he made the statement that he charges insurance on all animals sold at the sale barn. BUT only covers healty animals. I guess my gut feeling something wasn't right was correct. So farmers have been paying for a product that they didn't get anything for it. Maybe he facings a Fine from the Pa Insurnace Dept ? Class action lawsuit. Hopefully the staff writer or some agency will do some more digging. I find it hard to believe this man is paying to bury 200 animals per year. There may be more hidden here.

Why have you not contacted an attorney yet?

Send the guy a registered letter and tell him he has 7 days to pay you the average sale cost of your animal from that day's sale, or you are going to file suit for that amount + court costs and lawyers fees. Better yet, go ahead and pay an attorney a few hundred bucks to send the letter. If the guy is in the wrong, he'll cut you a check.

Latest posts