Sale Barn polices?

Help Support CattleToday:

The guy's a crook, and a proven liar. He needs some jail time to get his mind right.

He is charging for insurance but he doesn't actually have insurance. That by definition would be fraud. You could go one of two routes with that. Explain to him what fraud is and offer him to opportunity to make good on your cow or just take it to your district attorney and let them prosecute.

Well It appears thr P&S reads the Lancaster Farming Newspaper. They called and wanted more info. It appears they are doing an investigation.

Well I went to another sale barn last week, I know the owmer well. He was upset that the LFN printed the story, giving sale barns a bad rap. Then he told me that they are allowed to sale insurance under tariff rules ( without a license ) Then he told me he charges for animal disposal, which LFN quoted I.J. Perez from the GIPSA as stating. "Sale barns ma not bill for animal disposal" I send an email to I.J. Perez last week asking for the rule or regulation number. So far no reply. I contacted the person from GIPSA that firstt spoke to me. She couldn't give me an answer on rule numbers either. Yesterday another person called from GISPA, stating his supervisor ask him to call me. But he said it wasn't I.J. Perez. We spoke about some of the details of the cow's death. He said they are going to check into it and see if the cow really died ??? Going to the GLM and checking paperwork, looking for disposal fees at the local landfill, ect.
When I asked him about the rule and regulation about charging for disposal, he didn't know if it was printed anywhere. he said the rules where wrote by congress and were not easy to understand. When I asked about sale barns selling insurance under the traiff, he said the could, but if they needed a license that was not under their responsibility. I told the man if I didn't get answers that I could read in the US rules and regs, that I would again be contacting the LFN. As farmers we should have this info available to us. Two simple questions, yet all the people working at GIPSA, and we can't get an answer. We need less government, and more accountability from them !

I am glad that this is being pursued. Stuff like this irks me to no end. You have a right to see proof of your cows death, and you have a right to know WHY she died.
They can't charge "everyone for insurance" then pick and choose who is covered. :bang:
So the bottom line is, if your cow doesn't sell it wasn't covered. But if it sells, it is covered by "his" insurance. Which you payed for but did not need! If I have this right, It sure sounds like a scam!!

Well I.J.Perez called me. He seems he is saying that the LFN misquoted him. He's not sure if sale barns can charge for disposal. He and others at the P&S dicussed wether to rebut the LFN, but decided not too, because it would make the agency apear bad. I ask him if a liscense is required to sell the livestock insurance. He wasn't sure. ( he stated he is only a public relations man, he does not know all the rules ) So it appears to me, again we are paying big bucks for government agencies, where most employees are just pasting time, waiting to get that big retirement. I told him we need an answer, it's not fair that cattle producers don't have a clear set of posted rules concerning items like these. Fellow producers, send emails to the GISPA asking for info on these two items and others.
Sale Barns should have to post Insurnace Co info. They should have to supply proof of death. They should have to contact you within 12 hrs or before animal is disposed of. And I believe most inportantly, They should have to accept responsabilty for the animal at unloading or mark the unload slip "AS IS" Send letters to the editor at your farming newspapers. Call or write to LMA, complain to them, in the LFN they tried to make it out that GLM didn't do anything wrong. I 'll keep you informed.

Latest posts