Safeguard..whats the difference?

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
What is the difference between equine safeguard and cattle safeguard? (the paste)

Is the cattle safeguard more potent, as someone had told me?

Thanks

spinandslide":36cjll0b said:
What is the difference between equine safeguard and cattle safeguard? (the paste)

Thanks

Same concentration....basically same dosage administration. The Safeguard for horses may be more expensive "per dose" just because it's labeled for horses and comes in a smaller "single dose" applicator.

TexasBred":1cyzzx3j said:
spinandslide":1cyzzx3j said:

Thanks

Same concentration....basically same dosage administration. The Safeguard for horses may be more expensive "per dose" just because it's labeled for horses and comes in a smaller "single dose" applicator.

Thanks Richard
Seems horse stuff is more expensive..looking at vaccines, its crazy! 10 dose vials of 6 way for horses runs in the $130 range..for cattle, its $20..WTH????

I thought it had the same concentration, friend insisted it didnt, that the cattle wormer was "stronger" :D

Read the labels... then you'll know for sure. Horse folks tend to be willing to pay a lot more for everything, and so the price is increased accordingly. :p

milkmaid":11h6ioca said:
Read the labels... then you'll know for sure. Horse folks tend to be willing to pay a lot more for everything, and so the price is increased accordingly. :p
Did,,,both said they contained the same percentage of wormer..but friend insisted they were different, though I might have been missing something..

I dont pay for horse wormer for our horses..they get injectable ivermectin down their throat..it tastes awful Im sure, but gets the job done and its heck of alot cheaper. Works wel on the dogs orally too!

If the label says they're the same concentration, then they're the same. ;-)

FYI -- be careful using ivermectin on dogs. Too high a dosage has the potential to kill them.

milkmaid":3binypya said:

FYI -- be careful using ivermectin on dogs. Too high a dosage has the potential to kill them.

Thanks...
Am careful with all meds in all my animals, my husband has been worming his dogs with Ivermectin for years. Not to say nothing would happen, but you know... ;-)

milkmaid":3dfoe06j said:

hmmmm....MM...might move this over to the thread on getting rid of :nod: "stray dogs".

I don't have a problem with getting rid of stray dogs -- but I do have a problem with it being done inhumanely. A person can kill any animal with just about anything in their drug cabinet if they know what they're doing; but if an animal needs to be put down one ought to have the decency to do it in a humane manner.

milkmaid":nqnfurg9 said:
I don't have a problem with getting rid of stray dogs -- but I do have a problem with it being done inhumanely. A person can kill any animal with just about anything in their drug cabinet if they know what they're doing; but if an animal needs to be put down one ought to have the decency to do it in a humane manner.

Yesterday I was baling straw and evidently a cat was getting mice out of the windrows . The only thing I saw was the cat rolling out from underneath the baler with it's front leg severed into the shoulder, it looked horrible, the cat lay on the ground twitching and sqauling . We never carry a gun with us and I was a long way from one, so I decided to run over it with the tractor . It is a big tractor and death came quickly, but what a mess . Been thinking about it, don't know if it was the right thing to do or not . What would all of you done ?

Larry

larryshoat":3fcirf3u said:
milkmaid":3fcirf3u said:

Yesterday I was baling straw and evidently a cat was getting mice out of the windrows . The only thing I saw was the cat rolling out from underneath the baler with it's front leg severed into the shoulder, it looked horrible, the cat lay on the ground twitching and sqauling . We never carry a gun with us and I was a long way from one, so I decided to run over it with the tractor . It is a big tractor and death came quickly, but what a mess . Been thinking about it, don't know if it was the right thing to do or not . What would all of you done ?

Larry
You did the right thing since you didnt ahve a gun. Other options were let it suffer or get out and find a large wrench or fence post and hit it over the head so i think you did the right thing.

iowafarmer":34saoq46 said:
larryshoat":34saoq46 said:
milkmaid":34saoq46 said:

Larry
You did the right thing since you didnt ahve a gun. Other options were let it suffer or get out and find a large wrench or fence post and hit it over the head so i think you did the right thing.

That's my thoughts too, iowa... a knife to cut its throat would have worked too but probably would have been difficult to do on an animal that's already moving and in pain, and wouldn't have been as quick a death as running over it with the tractor. Same goes for hitting it over the head; don't know about you but I have trouble even killing a fish that way. I think you made the right choice, Larry. Not an enjoyable thing to do no matter how it's done, but I think you made the best choice given the circumstances.

Thanks for the responses, I value your opinions as colleagues and fellow stewards . I feel a little better about it now .

Larry

Larry, I think you did the right thing, eingyou did not have a gun.
I hate to see animals suffer.

Lady my husband used to rent a room from(before we got married)decided she was going to "kill" her Harlequin Great Dane, as he had been killing the neighbor's ducks.

Took him out to the forest, tied him to a tree and pumped him full of lead, in everywhere but his friggin head :x When Paul came back from work, she begged him to go check on on the dog..this had been hours..dog was still alive, it was truly awful. My husband put him out of his misery with his pistol. that was the only humane thing about the whole ordeal.

I have been worming my dogs with Safeguard (Cattle wormer) at 1 cc for 7 lbs for 3 days in a row for years now. The 3 days in a row is supposed to take care of the tapeworm. I was told this works for cats too and farm cats or house cats stay slick and fat. It is so easy and SO much cheaper than getting wormer from a vet. My Aussies I have stock trialed with and have taken them into the conformation ring and they look just as good as anything out there. I feel worms are the largest cause of loss of profits and health issues in any kind of animal. I think Safeguard has been a wonder drug for me. I have used Ivermectin on my large animals but it is supposed to cause autoimmune problems in collie breeds.

I agree that Larry did the right thing. Taking care of a suffering animal quickly is the right thing no matter how it is done. Hopefully as painless as possible. Even our barn cats do us a good service in taking care of those pesky rodents. I have a tiny cat that will take on anything, she is heck on gophers.

Tami

tamnik":2yo69tl2 said:
I have been worming my dogs with Safeguard (Cattle wormer) at 1 cc for 7 lbs for 3 days in a row for years now. The 3 days in a row is supposed to take care of the tapeworm. I was told this works for cats too and farm cats or house cats stay slick and fat. It is so easy and SO much cheaper than getting wormer from a vet. My Aussies I have stock trialed with and have taken them into the conformation ring and they look just as good as anything out there. I feel worms are the largest cause of loss of profits and health issues in any kind of animal. I think Safeguard has been a wonder drug for me. I have used Ivermectin on my large animals but it is supposed to cause autoimmune problems in collie breeds.

I agree that Larry did the right thing. Taking care of a suffering animal quickly is the right thing no matter how it is done. Hopefully as painless as possible. Even our barn cats do us a good service in taking care of those pesky rodents. I have a tiny cat that will take on anything, she is heck on gophers.

Tami
Interesting about the safeguard! Do you use the paste or drench for your dogs? Does it take care of other critters besides just tapeworms in them?

I did not know about the ivermectin and collie breeds..like your aussies? Friend has aussies and she was interested in learning how to properly dose her dogs with ivermectin..I will tell her to use safeguard instead.

Thank you for the input! :)

Sarah

I use the paste. It seems to take care of all worms. It is the only wormer I use on my dogs and when I have their stool checked for worms they don't have any.

The Australian Shepherds are considered a collie breed.

Good luck with this. It has always worked great for me. And has saved me a ton of money.

Tami

Anyone know the dose for Safegd drench for dogs.
Or, can someone tell me the cattle dosage of the paste so I can figure it out by comparing cattle dosage in the two products. We have drench on hand.