Rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

jwggriff

Reaction score
I live in north central Texas and am considering throwing out some rye seed this weekend. Good chance for rain Sun, and Mon. and was wondering if it is to late in the year to broadcast seed out. I was planning on putting about 100 lbs out on a 10acre pasture I have. It has not been tilled in 10 years and I'm not sure if I am just throwing my money away. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Depends mostly on when the next rain after is and how much it is going to be. Are you already in dry conditions or do you have good moisture? I'm in south Central and have already wasted a couple thousand on winter pasture. I don't see a change in weather patterns moving to the wet side. As of now they are still getting drier. So to sum up, I wouldn't unless I already had good growing conditions. I think this year it will be better to spend money on fertilizing existing grasses when and if you get some rain instead of trying to seed something into existing pastures.

Thanks for the advice. No we are in dry drought conditions too. I was just hoping the odd were in my favor this weekend. We have a 40% chance of rain on Mon. 20% Sunday.. Have not had any rain in a month, and very little then.

If the rains were coming closer together I might have a different opinion, but as for now they are still getting lighter and farther apart. Don't know if it is an option or your particular needs, you said it hasn't been tilled in a while. If it were good tillable ground you might get it worked up to plant haygrazer, millet or something like that if it does start to rain. Rain is still the key and the unknown at the moment. My plans for my dying oats is to drill in millet and cowpeas on some and haygrazer on the remaining, if it rains enough.

Latest posts