Rye Grass Vs Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle":39rwoohe said:
What do you reccomend fertilizing with? How soon after broadcasting? Can I do it at the same time?

Cloud 9, how big of a field are you talking about? Anything thing over 3 acres your best bet is to go to your local feed and seed and ask if they have fertilizer buggies. They should. Tell them what you are doing and they will mix the seed and fertilize into the buggy and you can pull it home and spread it with your truck.

Also if the grass in the field is not grazed down pretty close it would be better to mow it first. This will help the seed get down to dirt.

Rye grass planted like this will take longer to make a stand than grass planted in a prepared bed. Like someone else said try to plant ahead of a rain.

M5farm":3k9qprp1 said:
Yes I'm sure there are some cheaper out there but by the time I pull a wagon and travel to get them I can buy bagged since the gro south whse is within a mile of my office. Plus I can buy what I need for each field when I need it. I bought 1000.00 # today and 200# of crimson to plant on 10 acres.
I scattered some crimson this spring just for the heck of it....walked about just dropping a few seeds here and there. I think it all eventually came up...held the cows off and let it go to seed. Will see what comes up next year.

M5farm":u6akmney said:
what are yall paying for cleaned and bagged seed oats this year. I've been calling around to the dealers and they are running around 9.10 a bushel
I gave 13.95 for 50 lb bags. Wish I could buy it for anything close to $9 a bushel.

kenny thomas":8ot93s5b said:
M5farm":8ot93s5b said:
what are yall paying for cleaned and bagged seed oats this year. I've been calling around to the dealers and they are running around 9.10 a bushel
I gave 13.95 for 50 lb bags. Wish I could buy it for anything close to $9 a bushel.
That's 8.80 a bushel KT

You can feed the cows very little clover seed and they will spread it for you. It's gets a good start in a well fertilized patty.

Jacob":hi8rv2sl said:
You can feed the cows very little clover seed and they will spread it for you. It's gets a good start in a well fertilized patty.
Can you make them shyt right where you want the clover? :lol2: :hide:

Deepsouth":2dwnab5h said:
cloud9cattle":2dwnab5h said:
What do you reccomend fertilizing with? How soon after broadcasting? Can I do it at the same time?

Cloud 9, how big of a field are you talking about? Anything thing over 3 acres your best bet is to go to your local feed and seed and ask if they have fertilizer buggies. They should. Tell them what you are doing and they will mix the seed and fertilize into the buggy and you can pull it home and spread it with your truck.

Also if the grass in the field is not grazed down pretty close it would be better to mow it first. This will help the seed get down to dirt.

Rye grass planted like this will take longer to make a stand than grass planted in a prepared bed. Like someone else said try to plant ahead of a rain.

About 4-5 acres... My reason for doing this is to give my 10 girls something to snack on from time to time. We were able to get the first wave on the ground we put out 100# of oats and 100# of rye grass. Planning on putting out another 100# tonight 50&50 split . I took the all natural approach to fertilizer. We have a neighbor who had a nice pile of dun from his turkeys and chickens added a little water to it in the sprayer and let the ground have it. With Rain in the forecast the next 3 days PLEASE LORD LET IT RAIN!

I'm thinking about pulling the cows off a 40 acre pasture they have been grazing this summer and trying to broadcast some seed for winter grazing with the fertilizer. Would rye grass be the best bet? Is Marshall or Fria better suited for middle TN? I would love to hear from someone who did this with success. I always worry that trying to broadcast into a turf will severely hurt seed germination.

Kyle

tnwalkingred":oexco561 said:
I'm thinking about pulling the cows off a 40 acre pasture they have been grazing this summer and trying to broadcast some seed for winter grazing with the fertilizer. Would rye grass be the best bet? Is Marshall or Fria better suited for middle TN? I would love to hear from someone who did this with success. I always worry that trying to broadcast into a turf will severely hurt seed germination.

Kyle

It will work but it takes longer to get a stand established than if you plant in a prepared bed. You can run a disk over without much set to get a little dirt exposed. It won't tare your ground up to bad but will help your seed germinate. I like Marshall but have never tried fria as a matter of fact I've never heard of it.

Working a full time job I'm limited on time which is why I'm trying to come up with a plan that will eliminate the most number of trips across the field as possible. I've also been told that I can mix in some rape seed as well but I've never used it. If I clip it, disc it, and spread it then that's 3 times I have to go over it. I wonder if the time and fuel used in discing it is worth it or not as it relates to the stand I will get. Would I be better off to broadcast it with and just use more seed?

Kyle

I spoke to a man here locally, that said he cannot easily find seed oats, hasn't for some years, but has been just planting whole (not crimped or rolled) feed oats each winter with very good results.

greybeard":sbd8gwvk said:
I spoke to a man here locally, that said he cannot easily find seed oats, hasn't for some years, but has been just planting whole (not crimped or rolled) feed oats each winter with very good results.

I can't do the winter thing here, but I have been seeding the winter sacrifice area with oats every spring using whole oats rather than oat seed. Works fine for me. You just don't know what variety of oats you are getting. The one year I did buy oat seed the stand wasn't any better than I had been getting by using whole oats.

I got a 4 acre patch done Saturday with 100# oats and 25# clover per acre. I broke this patch last year and planted millet this spring and then it got flooded. It was a mix of crabgrass, Bahia, Bermuda and very little tiffleaf 3 after the waters receded. I grazed it down some and it was a little higher than I like but it cut pretty good. I spread oats and then came back and with my gangs straight and disced it again. I could only find a few random seeds that were not covered. we received an 1" 9tenths Sunday night and got another 9tenths yesterday and it supposed to rain again today. so the Bermuda that I tore up was showing signs of life again and the oats should start needling thru in the next few days.

Got a good stand and the weather has been very good for my oats and clover . I turned them in on this patch for the 3 time this morning. Let them graze for about 2 hours.

My winter stuff did pretty good too except the clover pretty much turned yellow and died. I have some of it temp fenced off and will turn in to it today or tomorrow. The oats/wheat/ryegrass mix worked real good with just the light disking on the hard clay soil, but I drug it after planting and disking in to get rid of the little disk furrows.

M5--you said you planted 4-5 acres--how many head are you grazing on it for those 2 hours? You have any trouble getting them out of it? I've hadtrouble in the past, once they get a couple of mouthfulls, that hay ring isn't nearly as appealing to them--sometimes I can get them out with cubes, sometimes they just keep eating the greenery.
So far, my 2 wire hot fence is keeping them out, but if this cold wet weather keeps on, I dunno how much longer that will work--sure didn't keep the deer out. :(

I've got one 5 acre patch and another 20 acre. They will graze couple hrs and head to the trees and lay down. I give them a couple buckets of cubes every day about dark. So when I'm home I just turn Them in 2 hrs before dark. I can rattle the bucket and they come running. 30 head total. It cost me 3.75 a day to give the cows 50# of feed.

We put out 60 acres of rye grass and it's done great with the wet winter we've had. It doesn't hurt that we haven't had a frost yet and that its a warm winter. I'll probably seed every place next winter and roll the dice on rain. First I need a seed drill though.

Latest posts