Rye Grass Vs Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle

Reaction score
Anyone over seed some area in their pastures? What works best for them? Oats or Rye Grass? I do not have the equipment to turn over the ground just curious covering a few spots with he rain in the forecast.

I have had many failed attempts at rye, and I've planted oats, twice. One time the oats did great, and last winter they froze out. I blame my failures on putting a cool season, in a cool season. I'm guessing your putting a cool season in a warm season. I'd say youll have better results. I've drilled, and broadcast. The best success I've ever had was broadcasting with rain in the forecast.

cloud9cattle":1hw3snxc said:
Thank you all for the insight. Any rules about pounds to surface area?

Rye grass the more seed the better. 25 lbs to acre sowed in the turf will give good results. Turf needs to be grazed short or the rye will wear out trying to get through the tall grass. Also the rye grass will not interfere with the permanent pasture for the warm season.

what are yall paying for cleaned and bagged seed oats this year. I've been calling around to the dealers and they are running around 9.10 a bushel

as said rye grass is your best bet.we use a 3pt seeder to put rye grass out with.grzed down or shredded pasture is the best seed bed.

cloud9cattle said:
Is a seeder required to get growth? I dont have access to that type of equipment. Can it be hand broadcasted?[/quote

It can be broadcast by hand I have seen my dad broadcast many an acre. He had a sack with one place on the open end tied to a corner on the bottom and he would sling that over his shoulder and walk and broadcast the seed.

cloud9cattle":24dtelce said:
Is a seeder required to get growth? I dont have access to that type of equipment. Can it be hand broadcasted?

With RYE yes you can get growth by hand or hand spreader if seed comes in contact with ground. We used to have planes fly rye seed in the pastures that weren't accessible to a tractor and buggy. Oats and wheat need a seed bed to grow properly.

I drill 100# wheat and put out about 12# of eyeglass thru the small seed box over my pastures. Usually about first of Oct . So they summer grass is playing out.

cloud9cattle":16hjx58z said:
What do you reccomend fertilizing with? How soon after broadcasting? Can I do it at the same time?

It can be done when you broadcast but as you said you are going to have to do it buy hand it would not be feasible IMO. If your soil is fertile you will get a stand and you can come back and fertilize later. if you have a farm supply that does fertilizer buggys that you can use they will mix the oats or rye with the fert for you and you make one pass. I do 30# N with 3 applications during the growing season

cloud9cattle":249l7f20 said:
Is a seeder required to get growth? I dont have access to that type of equipment. Can it be hand broadcasted?
Planted some 25 years ago with a friend. Had one of those little seeders with a bag on it. He sat on the tail gate of the truck cranking it while I drove...Turn around and do it again. Took about an 18 pack to get it all out but he got a good stand. :nod:

M5 I havent' talked to anyone that has bought any seed oats. If you were just going to graze them would regular ol' race horse oats work?? Use to plant a few of them on a deer lease long ago and they came up good anyway.

Yes fresh feed oats will work but you will usually get alot of wild mustard in them. The guys that have them are getting 10$ a bushel for them bulk to deer hunters.

M5farm":ijiuy1c9 said:
Yes fresh feed oats will work but you will usually get alot of wild mustard in them. The guys that have them are getting 10$ a bushel for them bulk to deer hunters.
Day'yum .. no idea they were that high. :shock:

TexasBred":1087qy8t said:
M5farm":1087qy8t said:
Day'yum .. no idea they were that high. :shock:
Yes I'm sure there are some cheaper out there but by the time I pull a wagon and travel to get them I can buy bagged since the gro south whse is within a mile of my office. Plus I can buy what I need for each field when I need it. I bought 1000.00 # today and 200# of crimson to plant on 10 acres.

Latest posts