Russian Breeds???

Help Support CattleToday:

wildcatkit52

Reaction score
Saw a bull today. The guy doesn't know much about cows. Bull was given to him. He said he was told it was "something like a Blue Russian or close to that"... I'm going to try to get the previous owner's information from him. He looks like some breeds such as a Romanian Grey or Ukrainian Grey. I never heard of any of those around here in Arkansas.

He doesn't look so large in this picture. He is pretty massive though. He was given to this guy because he is tame. As in too dangerous for the previous owner. Doesn't sound right to me... I may try breeding him to a few cows and see what I get. They are due to be bred now and I don't have my chute and corral finished yet for AI...

IMG_3393_zpswzbbfvbk.jpg

I can't see the entire picture on my phone, but what I can see might be a Romagnola. They are s larger breed originally from Italy I believe. I don't have any experience with them, but have heard some good things about them.

I thought it was possible. When I looked up the Grey's they look a lot like Italian breed cattle such as Romagnola or Piedmontese. Not built like a Pied though. I'd like to know for sure if he is and see what size calves he typically throws...

There is a group of breeds called Podolic breeds, some of them are quite similar, Hungarian Grey, Ukraninan Grey, several italian and "Yugoslavian" breeds. However like it is suggested above it might be a Romagnola in a less than perfect ondition.

Romagnola is a Podolic Breed as are the Piedmontese and Chainina. That is what had me confused when he said it was Russian.

Here he is with my Piedmontese/Salers/Longhorn crosses this afternoon.
romag3_zpsdkypgu6g.jpg

romag4_zpszobym6jo.jpg

wildcatkit52":22a9ngnr said:
I'm assuming by "that one" you mean the red one on the left, yes she is a heifer. She will be 2 in April.
I'm assumed that she is already bred to another bull?

That's what I heard the other day. My aunt said about 4 years ago or so she saw some at the Pope Country Fair.

I am actually from Hector but haven't lived there in abut 20 years. I live just outside Russellville. As far as I can tell the closest farm with Romagnola cattle is in Hartman.

Thanks for the information. I am still waiting to find out more about this guy. I bet he is registered but this guy didn't seem to know anything about animals at all. This weekend I'm going to try to get a name out of him of the previous owner.

Latest posts