Running PTO on auger cart

Help Support CattleToday:

bmoore87

Reaction score
Bought an old 1-2 ton auger feed wagon with 540pto that I can run behind a tractor to feed dry feed. Would like to set something up so I can also take creep feed out to pastures or feed cows on corn stalks while pulling behind my truck. Have looked at some hydraulic motors and gas run electric but don't really know what I would need and how much power or if theirs a better option. Just an old cart so I would like to keep it cheap even if its a little more work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

bmoore87":or17kalf said:
Bought an old 1-2 ton auger feed wagon with 540pto that I can run behind a tractor to feed dry feed. Would like to set something up so I can also take creep feed out to pastures or feed cows on corn stalks while pulling behind my truck. Have looked at some hydraulic motors and gas run electric but don't really know what I would need and how much power or if theirs a better option. Just an old cart so I would like to keep it cheap even if its a little more work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

IMO if you want to keep it cheap keep it as It is now and use as it was intended. When you get into making something work the way it wasn't intended can get expensive fast. I understand what your trying to do probably because all your herd is spread out. Try to find a old army jeep that has a pto if possible. Here is something I found that may help you.

http://www.cj3apage.com/index/My_1950/r ... %20PTO.htm

Do you own a generator? Convert it over to an electric motor.

You can get a small auger cheap, cut a hole in the wagon, set the auger in the base and run it off the generator in the box? Still leaving the pto portion intact if done right.

I have one I bought a couple yrs ago, yes it would be handy to have another drive source, but. I still hook the tractor to it to sack out feed or fill the calf feeder. Ideal situation would be a dedicated tractor and if the auction my dad went too yesterday is any indication I'll pick up a little 35 for about 1500 to do just that.

M-5":33qrothf said:
I have one I bought a couple yrs ago, yes it would be handy to have another drive source, but. I still hook the tractor to it to sack out feed or fill the calf feeder. Ideal situation would be a dedicated tractor and if the auction my dad went too yesterday is any indication I'll pick up a little 35 for about 1500 to do just that.

I have a MF35 diesel tractor sitting here. Bring your trailer and it's yours.

Thanks for the advice sounds like i might need to stick with a tractor. M5 would that small of tractor be able to handle round bales. If I had a dedicated tractor I could leave it up at the pastures in the summer and bring it home in the winter for feeding.

Latest posts