Running heavy Breds through chute

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred said:
Rydero said:
Lucky_P said:
It's up to producers and veterinarians to update their own procedures to account for advancements.

You may very well be right(sounds like you and Raven know what you're talking about) but I get a chuckle at how you make it sound like someone would be negligent for not going against the label and the instructions of their veterinarian. In my case the vet was out 2 months ago and we reviewed my vaccination protocol among other things. We don't all have time to review every study that comes along, but most of us do the best we can for our animals. I'm happy with the results so far this year though, a month into calving 50+ calves on the ground, not a case of scours and if you're correct protection should be at a high just as the melt is on.

Lucky didn't bother telling you that he's a veterinarian :shock: :shock:

And Raven plays one on the Internet.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TexasBred said:
Rydero said:
You may very well be right(sounds like you and Raven know what you're talking about) but I get a chuckle at how you make it sound like someone would be negligent for not going against the label and the instructions of their veterinarian. In my case the vet was out 2 months ago and we reviewed my vaccination protocol among other things. We don't all have time to review every study that comes along, but most of us do the best we can for our animals. I'm happy with the results so far this year though, a month into calving 50+ calves on the ground, not a case of scours and if you're correct protection should be at a high just as the melt is on.

And Raven plays one on the Internet.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap:

Lucky_P said:
Yeah, I know what the label recommendations are on those vaccines... but they're old and outdated... not in step with our current understanding of best colostral immunity management practices in the dam and calf. But, the manufacturers are not gonna go back and jump through all those regulatory hoops (and millions of $$$ spent) again just to change the label to reflect that newer understanding. It's up to producers and veterinarians to update their own procedures to account for advancements.
Keep on giving them 'late' if you want, but for best colostral antibody levels, they need to be given well before that 5 week pre-calving threshold in order for the cow's immune system to respond appropriately.
That said, the rota/corona virus deal is a bit different - absorbed colostral antibodies don't really provide any protection - you need the constant presence of secretory antibody(IgA) in the gut to provide 'local' protection... and we know, from studies done back in the 1980s, that properly vaccinated cows continue to produce detectable levels of anti-corona IgA in their milk for at least 30 days post-calving(that was as far out as they tested), presumably protecting the calf's gut from infection by corona virus.
As someone who has gone the extra mile for eons to ensure a comprehensive herd health program & utilizing QA protocol I'm deeply dismayed by your comments. Thank you for the heads up. I respect and consider my current DVM talented & knowledgeable but based on your comments its likely he's in the dark as much as me.

TexasBred said:
Rydero said:
Lucky_P said:
It's up to producers and veterinarians to update their own procedures to account for advancements.

Is that supposed to blow my mind? Takes more than that, lol. Might be a vet (I said he sounded like he knew what he was talking about) but he isn't my vet. It may be good advice but a person should confirm the advice they get from strangers on the internet before going off label and deveating from the advice their own vet (who they can confirm is actually a vet) just gave them. I know a cattle drug rep, I'll read up, I'll talk to my vet again, just want to point out a person should be careful.

Rydero said:
TexasBred said:
Rydero said:

Is that supposed to blow my mind? Takes more than that, lol. Might be a vet (I said he sounded like he knew what he was talking about) but he isn't my vet. It may be good advice but a person should confirm the advice they get from strangers on the internet before going off label and deveating from the advice their own vet (who they can confirm is actually a vet) just gave them. I know a cattle drug rep, I'll read up, I'll talk to my vet again, just want to point out a person should be careful.

Naw I doubt anyone could impress you but at least you have another source of information if you need it and the price is right. Best wishes.

Latest posts