round bale hauler

Help Support CattleToday:

okbob

Reaction score
hello folks I'am looking for some pics or plans to build a round bale hauler to pull with my truck or tractor by the trailer ball, I've seen some going down the road they have a spear and a boat winch to tilt it up and lower it.

A neighbor uses an old house trailer frame (the PC term is modular home), he can haul a bunch of bales and they're cradled by the crossmembers of the frame.
There's a commercial single bale hauler called a tumble bug that doesn;t require a winch and others that do. Then there are the bale spikes that mount on the bumber or bed, some are hydraulic, some use a winch.

dun

TennCattleMan57":1savdnq0 said:
How much are these bale hauler deals? Probably more than what I paid for my used gooseneck.

Around here the tublebug new runs around $900, the spike type that goes on a pickup and uses an electric winch can be picked up for around $250-$400, hydraulics run arounmd $750-$900

dun

TennCattleMan57":po4g7ur6 said:
will they haul 1100 pound round bales? If so how many?

They're all single bale haulers, work great for feeding. The house trailer frame hauled 16 bales that ran around 1500 lbs. Good thing he only had to go a couple of miles. His truck wasn;t real crazy about that load coming up the hill from the hay field

TennCattleMan57":1crjh7vq said:
Ill bet. So if I have a hay spear on the front of my tractor and can spear it and carry the bale out into the field and use a bale unroller and unroll it for em then i dont need this here contraption correct?

Correct, but it alwasy surprises me the number of people that have little toy tractors and want to feed roound bales. I used the spike on the back of a pickup deal when we had a couple of cows that were a half hours drive away. That was the right tool for the job in that case. But I'll stick with a spike front and back on the tractor for all of the feeding we're doing here, and that includes the feeding I'm doing for a neighbor. He has the hay already staged and his main farm is 5 miles away. It's easier for me to just pop down the driveway and feed for him then it is for him to come over with his tractor every other day just to put out hay.

dun

Dun I've seen what the poster is asking about. Built somewhat like the tumble bug. It has the bale spear mounted to the axle and when you wench it up it puts the bale weight over the axle.
An alternative to breaking the weld seams on a factory bed with a accessory/aftermarket bale spear mounted to it.
As to cost or vendors I haven't a clue.
It looks like something that could be recreated in the average shop/barn enviroment.
An old pu axle, some 3" sq tubing at least 1/4 thick, some 1/2 plate and strap, and old tractor axle or something for the spear, 6-10 lb.s of rod and you're a dry forage relocator.

hey thanks for the response guys, I was looking to build one myself, I have plenty of scrap metal and can weld good enough just thought someone might have built one, the hyd.s on my tracter is just getting weak and was kicking the idea around

frenchie":4dkewupi said:
dun":4dkewupi said:
frenchie":4dkewupi said:
Dun You can still buy new tumblebugs?

There's ads for new ones every week in the paper

dun

Where are they made Dun.I know a couple guys up here looking for them.

Don;t know but the ads are in the local paper, south central MO. I looked again today and as it usually works, no ads this week.

dun

TennCattleMan57":1tsawnng said:
How much are these bale hauler deals? Probably more than what I paid for my used gooseneck.

Around here in Ok, you can pick up a used one for around $175-$300. They are not that hard to find. I pass two sitting on the side of the road for sale everyday when I go to work.

frenchie I talked with MFA,C+C,Race Bro.s,SO-MO,Garys Imp.
and S+H tractor nobody handles a tumblebug hay buggy anymore. One suggested Tri-L mfg a local company. Their site doesn't list one. If you want I can make a few more calls locally. But it looks like a used one is the best bet.

dun...,
Your point about the ..."toy tractors"..needs to be emphasized. A large round bale of hay on a small tractor...especially on the rear and at high speed or challenging terrain can be very dangerous since the weight shifts causing abnormal configurations.

The smallest to handle a large round bale in my opinion is the size of the 4000 ford with wide (18") tires and front weights.

We have assisted a few folks around here(mostly with the small kobota's...a good tractor but size is not there in most instances)mostly weekend/hobby types, from the ditch/stuck in the mud under those exact circumstances. With one rollover happening.

dj":1ov7bhif said:
frenchie I talked with MFA,C+C,Race Bro.s,SO-MO,Garys Imp.
and S+H tractor nobody handles a tumblebug hay buggy anymore. One suggested Tri-L mfg a local company. Their site doesn't list one. If you want I can make a few more calls locally. But it looks like a used one is the best bet.

Thanks dj.... I will ask these guys what they want to do.

ClockTicksAndCattleGraze":3mgjrqtt said:
Wonder if I could build one cheaper than I could buy one? I think Ill look into it and see. If yall know let me know.

I built one, was a lot cheaper than the tumblebuggy. Main ingredient is the axle with electric brakes and tires with a decent amount of tread on them. If you need some measurements, I will see what I can come up with.

Latest posts