Old round bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
Looking for tips or ideas to get rid of old hay. Have few bales laying in the fence line I assume there all junk. Sick of looking at them and would like them gone completely any suggestions?

All of the above will work and are great ideas, I would add, that if you are not using them for erosion control, then unroll them in the field. They are a great fertilizer for the soil.

Also, put an add on Craigslist and sell them to gardeners as regolith said. (Look up the Ruth Stout method of gardening).

Any old bales are not waste but organic matter to add to the soil. As suggested.... roll out on thin spots in pastures, use for stops in gullies to help with erosion control. Many gardeners will give money for use as mulch hay.... as mentioned the Ruth Stout method of deep mulch gardening. I use them for mulch in the garden and never seem to have all I want. The thicker the mulch, the easier to pull errant weeds, and the greater improvement in the soil for the next year.

Old hay...hey...

We have been going through bad drought, if you saw some of the hay that was still being sold.... :help: :shock: :bs:

I got some that had to be over 10 yr old just sitting outside in weather to try, it was pretty moldy in some spots, everything still would be eaten after I cut out the moldy parts, which were put to compost, anyways, I told them just they were junk, but someone already came and got the lot on a semi.

They will keep animals alive if things get really desperate, but if they are off and really moldy, yeah, put them back in the ground. Or use to bed, or mulch for garden ... etc etc

If you have a lot & it is not moldy but maybe not much nutrient value by itself, buy some other feed and mix, or just use it as roughage as part of a ration.

MurraysMutts said:
Make friends with someone who owns a goat?

Goats are fussy, and would prefer to browse every plant you desire to keep outside, or if they get into your house yard. :D

greggy said:
MurraysMutts said:

Goats are fussy, and would prefer to browse every plant you desire to keep outside, or if they get into your house yard. :D

That's exactly right. Every time I hear someone say feed junk to goats I know they ain't been around goats.
I call a bunch of old hay drought insurance..

callmefence said:
greggy said:
MurraysMutts said:

That's exactly right. Every time I hear someone say feed junk to goats I know they ain't been around goats.

Ya got me there!
Dont know a thing about goats...
But I got folks buying my worst hay for em!
Works for me... haha
Just what in the heck does a person do with goats?
Pets?

MurraysMutts said:
callmefence said:
greggy said:

Ya got me there!
Works for me... haha
Pets?

They actually make a profit
San angelo auction is pushing 10000 head a week. Good boer kids hit 3.50 a pound a couple of weeks ago.

MurraysMutts said:
callmefence said:
greggy said:

Ya got me there!
Works for me... haha
Pets?

Some people like to nom nom on them.....

MurraysMutts said:
Bbq sammiches.....

Only if I was hungry and couldn't get pork, beef, rabbit, sausage, chicken, or nutria. I've had goat meat. The best thing I can say for it is that it's better than sheep.

You are correct. When people say goats will eat anything, then I know they never had goats. They'll eat what you don't want them eating but old junk hay. Nope. Now if they don't have anything else then you might starve them to rest it but if that's the case you don't need to be a I goat owner.

Latest posts