Square Round bale feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1kouiw5g said:
Had a pallet rack at work I couldn't use anymore it was 42" x 8 before I cobbled it together its now 8'x8' and I can put 2 4x5 bales in it. I put a top on it just because .

Went to a rack years ago, really saved a lot of hay.
My design holds two round bales and is on skids.
I really like the roof idea might have to look at a summer modification.

Very nice.. I like it good idea I should have bought those racks I seen at a sale now that I seen what you did with them. Good job.

I've got a flatbed with a ranch hand on front. Has a 2" receiver for a hitch. I'm considering copying 5s roller were it will mount in The hitch receiver to roll out hay with the truck.

I'm thinking use two of those little tires, like on a logsplitter or something. Spaced maybe 24" apart. Welding up a frame out of 2" square. Wouldn't be to heavy to pull out and through on the back of the truck when leaving the pasture.

fenceman":grpqo3iy said:
I've got a flatbed with a ranch hand on front. Has a 2" receiver for a hitch. I'm considering copying 5s roller were it will mount in The hitch receiver to roll out hay with the truck.

I'm thinking use two of those little tires, like on a logsplitter or something. Spaced maybe 24" apart. Welding up a frame out of 2" square. Wouldn't be to heavy to pull out and through on the back of the truck when leaving the pasture.
I've seen one like your describing on farm show. Make sure you get it below midline of the bale cause youvwont have any adjustments of the roller

fenceman":d9kuxpdy said:

Maybe make it so it folds up against grill guard, like a tow hitch. Ought be good for another 'whatinhelldidhedonow'? from the neighbors............ :cboy:

Screw them noseysumbytchs, they don't watch out I'll do like sky and drag it down the road on a old car hood... ;-) :cboy:

fenceman":1rv31ir7 said:
Screw them noseysumbytchs, they don't watch out I'll do like sky and drag it down the road on a old car hood... ;-) :cboy:
I'm not sure it was Sky and if it was, he copied it from a girl that used to post here. She had a video of it too--funny as heck. I can't remember her name but I think all her cows ended up dead one way or another.
(I'll have to look for it)

Here are a few pictures of a feeder I made recently. It seems to be working good for feeding small square bales with little waste. I copied this from one that was 6' x 8' so I would think one could load a round bale in the top & let the animals feed away if it was that size. I made this one a little smaller because of lack of tractor & I have a ring when I feed round bales. This one ended up 5' x 7' & its about 4' tall. All made from rough cut lumber for about $150.00.

Maybe a roof like M-5 has might be in order next....

[URL=http://s1175.photobucket.com/u.../wagonwrench/feeder 010_zps0dsmiith.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1175.photobucket.com/u.../wagonwrench/feeder 012_zpsqhbfj1dm.jpg[/img][/url]

greybeard":33bisoa1 said:
fenceman":33bisoa1 said:
I'm not sure it was Sky and if it was, he copied it from a girl that used to post here. She had a video of it too--funny as heck. I can't remember her name but I think all her cows ended up dead one way or another.
(I'll have to look for it)

It was Chevy, Greybeard but Sky might of tried it also. Maybe there one in the same? :D

Thought I remembered sky using one to move hay in the snow or mud. Just poking at him ;-) :cboy: ....didn't get a bite.

fenceman":3ftxlqwi said:
Thought I remembered sky using one to move hay in the snow or mud. Just poking at him ;-) :cboy: ....didn't get a bite.

I just seen it today :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: No gb I got the car hood from a 70 something year old man here he's been doing it for years

M-5, I can't believe that's all the waste you had from 30 bales! I would have thought it would be more when I saw you driving on it to unroll it. Do you have enough cows to eat a bale a day?

If I put a bale in feeder they eat that bale in a day. When unrolling I started with 1/2 roll till I got it to about 2/3 every day. Most of the waste was from when weather was bad and I rolled out a whole roll. The waste pile was packed pretty tight and I guess it is about 2 4x5 worth . I know I've fed alot less hay this yr. I wanted to concentrate on this area as it never been real fertile and its Sandy. I already have another spot picked out for next winter to do the same. Once you get amount figured out they eat it all . it takes a little more time and where I live it's always after dark in winter.

Latest posts