DIY automatic feeder idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Lisagrantb

Reaction score
Ok I get these ideas in my head and sometimes they work and others, we'll there learning experiences. Here's the idea, I want an automatic feeder to feed weaned calves. It will feed twice a day about 1-200lbs per feeding depending on how many calves. I started looking at the factory made ones and there pretty pricey. Then I found the moultree deer feeder people made an auger feeder for the "ranch". Now here's my idea, if it will handle the quantity I would like to mount it to a stand with a platform that will support a super sack of feed directly out of the sack. Combine these three things together with a large trough underneath. What do you think about it. Oh, it will be under a cover so rain isn't a problem. The feeder is the only thing I will purchase, the other stuff I will fabricate for the task at hand. The photos are just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking about.

Attachments

• 22D23C94-0A48-4098-A880-51869E1CBD3B.png
    22D23C94-0A48-4098-A880-51869E1CBD3B.png
    815.6 KB · Views: 19
  • C11D4DC6-FB60-4B17-8B0A-A1A473F36A1B.png
    C11D4DC6-FB60-4B17-8B0A-A1A473F36A1B.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 500A3D71-2CF5-4365-860B-D2A45916A992.jpeg
    500A3D71-2CF5-4365-860B-D2A45916A992.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 19
How much are you wanting to feed per head per day?

My neighbor has one of those fancy store bought auto feeders. I can't recall the brand but it's about 25-30 foot long and green with yellow letters on it. Looks like you load it from the top with super sacks and then a few times a day it drops feed down into the trough. The thing is on skids so it can be moved when rotating cattle too. It sits at her barn and never gets used. The best auto feeder I've seen so far is the one on wheels that hold several tons. Drag it to town and fill it up with a limiter feed. Some times tried, true, and easy is best. I've looked at auto feeder ideas and think this is one of those cases.

I've got a creep feeder that you can load with a cube box. We haven't used it in several years because feed has been so high. When we did use it I was never surprised at how much they ate.

However if you are only feeding a few head you might be on to something with the setup you described. Good luck and let us know how it works.

Moultrie deer feeders can be hit and miss , a lot like their game cameras . Wouldn't spend too much if you go that route.

I like the idea. Let us know how it goes.

I've kicked around an idea for a corn feeder just to feed out a calf or two that is based off a directional deer feeder. Found an individual who makes them now. He is a little more willing to adapt it slightly for me than going with a name brand already on the market.

Hay Brute, do you think your feeder guy would be interested in listening to my idea, maybe he could help or give input. There is a local guy that makes feeders for everyone around here and he makes them out of reject wooden I-beam (think of a 2" thick sheet of plywood 6 feet by 20 feet glued together with epoxy resin) I talked to him about it and we have a plan to modify his feeder so it will support the super sack. These are great feeders and heavy enough that cattle can't push them around without any weight from feed.