Cattel Sprayer idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh haha....well still looks better than mi

I just came off the range from checking cows and they are covered with flies. TCranch and Greybeard's cattle look great, I need to change up something because ear tags are worthless. Spray is a lot better, but not feasible to round them up every few weeks to spray. I think the heat and drought in our area isn't helping with flies either. I've attached a pic to give you a better idea on how our range is. Not much feed left and need to move soon. As mentioned above, I did notice my red cows had less flies than the black, but still way to many flies.
Thanks!
I tried ear tags years ago and they worked for a while, but we put them in when we worked the herd in May - not a huge fly problem then. Half of them broke off and the rest were worthless by mid summer. I also used to add IRG to the loose mineral. Again, seemed to help a little, but only worth what they consume and didn't seem to be worth the extra $$$ and hassle. That said, it may be an option for you, with cattle on an open range where it's difficult to round them up every few weeks. Cattle rubs or sprayers might be your best bet.

I have noticed with my Brangus cows, some always have lots of flies and some have very few, regardless of the preventative I use. Their calves tend to follow them, too. Calves from cows that have lots of flies tend to suffer the most from flies. Kit Pharo says fly resistance is highly heritable and I'm inclined to believe him.

I have noticed with my Brangus cows, some always have lots of flies and some have very few, regardless of the preventative I use. Their calves tend to follow them, too. Calves from cows that have lots of flies tend to suffer the most from flies. Kit Pharo says fly resistance is highly heritable and I'm inclined to believe him.
This. About half my herd has em bad. The others just a few. I put out some garlic salt blocks, seems to be helping for all of em.

Latest posts