Cattel Sprayer idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I was cruising through my FB pages and saw this in the cattle page. For those who wish to spray their cattle, this is pretty slick.

I don't think you need fb to see it. I wish I knew of a way to view it outside of fb.

For those who cannot see it, he's got a sensor that triggers a sprayer as the cows walk under it. The sprayer is an ATV rig set above the walk through gate. The gate looks to be about 3-4 feet wide.

I was cruising through my FB pages and saw this in the cattle page. For those who wish to spray their cattle, this is pretty slick.

I don't think you need fb to see it. I wish I knew of a way to view it outside of fb.

Saw this yesterday on my feed as well. I agree that it looks like a handy tool.

I didn't check on price. It'd have to be pretty cheap for me to try it. I can still pour out some range cubes and walk around with a drench gun and be done in ten minutes every couple of weeks. Regardless, it's a cool setup.

Saw this yesterday on my feed as well. I agree that it looks like a handy tool.

I didn't check on price. It'd have to be pretty cheap for me to try it. I can still pour out some range cubes and walk around with a drench gun and be done in ten minutes every couple of weeks. Regardless, it's a cool setup.
What brand spray on do you use?

it is a great idea. you could make one yourself using a $200 atv spayer, a 12V battery, and a simple switch. add a little time and wire. job done

There have been posts on these before, they are pricey. But for someone with knowledge of sensors, it could be done cheaply. I have seen them with small arms that triger the spray. When the animal passes through they get a dose.

Very cool - not worth the $$$$ in my world. Like @JParrott, I can easily dump cubes, walk around and spray them.

That said, I've been doing an experiment this year. Tried Ultra Boss last year (the original & Grit's recipe), always used Fly Ban in the past and tried Clean Up II in May of this year. None of them are effective more than 10 days in heavy fly season and nothing will keep the evil horse flies off (precisely why I keep a couple fly swatters in my Polaris). Ordered more Fly Ban for the last part of July/early Aug. Sprayed again yesterday and half the herd got Fly Ban, the other half got plain ol' 10% permethrin from the Co-Op mixed with canola oil. Only been a day, but essentially no flies on either group, will keep track for the next 1-2 weeks. If there's not a significant difference with the Fly Ban group, I see no reason to spend 4x's as much. Will have to let you know . . . .

Very cool - not worth the $$$$ in my world. Like @JParrott, I can easily dump cubes, walk around and spray them.

That said, I've been doing an experiment this year. Tried Ultra Boss last year (the original & Grit's recipe), always used Fly Ban in the past and tried Clean Up II in May of this year. None of them are effective more than 10 days in heavy fly season and nothing will keep the evil horse flies off (precisely why I keep a couple fly swatters in my Polaris). Ordered more Fly Ban for the last part of July/early Aug. Sprayed again yesterday and half the herd got Fly Ban, the other half got plain ol' 10% permethrin from the Co-Op mixed with canola oil. Only been a day, but essentially no flies on either group, will keep track for the next 1-2 weeks. If there's not a significant difference with the Fly Ban group, I see no reason to spend 4x's as much. Will have to let you know . . . .
I'm interested in how that goes. I've debated the same.

I use the Ultra Saber but still have to keep fly bags and rubs out. With both we can get by pourning on twice a year. Just one or the other and the results are pretty poor with flies. The rubs with liquid on them work the best for us but buzzards like to get on them and destroy them.

We still have to spray with Corral for ticks. You can spend a small fortune trying to keep the flies off.

We have flies bad this year and wished I had something like the spray set-up to dose them when they came in to get water. Walking around with a spray gun I might be lucky to get one. Cows are out on 1000 acre pasture and don't exactly let you walk up close enough to spray even if they were eating cubes, hay etc. I've been considering a couple cattle rubs devices but not sure how they'd hold up. Tried fly tags in the past, but pretty much a waste of $$$.

The only luck I have had is putting a fly bag or rub going to a water source. I started putting the alley bows in pens or with panels going to traps with water. I'll hang the bag on the alley bow so they have to go through it to get water.

The cows wont go any where near those big contraptions like it the picture.

That's pretty awesome, and so simple. I downloaded the video from FB if anyone wants it, I would be happy to email it.

Latest posts