DIY winch to spool winder

Help Support CattleToday:

Prairiegrass

Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken an atv winch and converted to electric twine roller for temporary electric fence? Drive out on atv, Roll up one plastic spool, remove and put on another empty spool. Roll up and repeat. Trying to design and thinking maybe someone already has and could save me some work. Thanks much PG

I've made one run by a cordless drill. Piece of 1/2 inch all thread, 5 inch piece of pipe held in place loosely by nuts and washers to give you a hand hold, and a couple washers and nuts to hold the wire spool tight. Works relatively well with two hands but a third would be helpful. Really should work on a design for one to mount on the mule.

Neighbor used something like this. https://www.qcsupply.com/gallagher-econoreel.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhcABYmoYBjPUEFfPQSR5sDkNVogXBWGJgAQZLgHiq15B18n0ZtSPrRoCGRUQAvD_BwE

Thanks for idea. I have a good geared hand winder it's just that the older I get the heavier that reel with 1/4-1/2 mile of twine gets. Also seems the last roll up of the year ends up happening in a snow storm. If I ever come up with something better I'll post.

1982vett said:
I've made one run by a cordless drill. Piece of 1/2 inch all thread, 5 inch piece of pipe held in place loosely by nuts and washers to give you a hand hold, and a couple washers and nuts to hold the wire spool tight. Works relatively well with two hands but a third would be helpful. Really should work on a design for one to mount on the mule.

Neighbor used something like this. https://www.qcsupply.com/gallagher-econoreel.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhcABYmoYBjPUEFfPQSR5sDkNVogXBWGJgAQZLgHiq15B18n0ZtSPrRoCGRUQAvD_BwE

That sounds like a money maker. With an electric impact and socket you could go to town.

Go Bob is using them to make there chutes move in and out now.

Prairiegrass said:
Thanks for idea. I have a good geared hand winder it's just that the older I get the heavier that reel with 1/4-1/2 mile of twine gets. Also seems the last roll up of the year ends up happening in a snow storm. If I ever come up with something better I'll post.

Why not use 1982vett's design and mount it to the back of your ATV? Carry a drill with you and you are all set.