round bale hauler

Help Support CattleToday:

old_cowboy:
Would you have to have brakes? It's just the weight of one bale pushing you.
frenchie:
Got at call back from S+H tractor they can get one from Dura-Bilt $1195.00

preston39":7ehyo1x9 said:
dun...,
Your point about the ..."toy tractors"..needs to be emphasized. A large round bale of hay on a small tractor...especially on the rear and at high speed or challenging terrain can be very dangerous since the weight shifts causing abnormal configurations.

The smallest to handle a large round bale in my opinion is the size of the 4000 ford with wide (18") tires and front weights.

We have assisted a few folks around here(mostly with the small kobota's...a good tractor but size is not there in most instances)mostly weekend/hobby types, from the ditch/stuck in the mud under those exact circumstances. With one rollover happening.

Preston old buddy, I have a Ford 3400 that I carry a 1500 pound bale on the loader and a 1500 pound (5X6) on the rear with. Your warning is justified, maybe just not the facts of which tractors can do it. ;-)

I use a 1900 Ford to move 1200# 4x6's and get by alright most days. Sometimes I have to back up hill but.......
I think the advancement in the strength of hyd. does sometimes make me negligent/over confident. There is no way the old 8n will handle these bales it can't get them off the ground. Even the the horsepower rating is the same (or close).

More of a concern then the hydraulis and horsepower is the stopping power. The neighbor wanted me to haul an 8' wide 8 gang new ground disk with the Ranger pickup. Told him to stick it, when you get rolling down a hill, almost everything here is up or down a hill, my 50 hp tractor could barely slow it down. I don;t like towing anything that weighs twice as much as the towing vehicle.

dun

Maybe you could just drop the disc in the ground if it's too much for your 50hp tactor. You might not have wanted too disc that area but it's better than an uncontrolled decent.

dj":38827bc7 said:
Maybe you could just drop the disc in the ground if it's too much for your 50hp tactor. You might not have wanted too disc that area but it's better than an uncontrolled decent.

Didn;t have the hydraulics hoked up but tilting the bucket and dropping it worked well. Sure made a mess out of his nice gravel driveway though

dun

dun wrote
Sure made a mess out of his nice gravel driveway though

I can imagine the rips,gouges, and poke holes :lol2:
Something like that happens here, the best thing to be done is get it cleaned up before the little bride finds it.

flaboy+":3gpqjpc9 said:
preston39":3gpqjpc9 said:
dun...,
Your point about the ..."toy tractors"..needs to be emphasized. A large round bale of hay on a small tractor...especially on the rear and at high speed or challenging terrain can be very dangerous since the weight shifts causing abnormal configurations.

The smallest to handle a large round bale in my opinion is the size of the 4000 ford with wide (18") tires and front weights.

We have assisted a few folks around here(mostly with the small kobota's...a good tractor but size is not there in most instances)mostly weekend/hobby types, from the ditch/stuck in the mud under those exact circumstances. With one rollover happening.

Preston old buddy, I have a Ford 3400 that I carry a 1500 pound bale on the loader and a 1500 pound (5X6) on the rear with. Your warning is justified, maybe just not the facts of which tractors can do it. ;-)
============
flaboy,

Not knocking your tractor size...it's a good all around intermediate one. I was just giving a relative safe size.
But, i think you would agree for the inexperenced(which was the intent of my post) it would be pushing the safety limits way out.
Rough...muddy..up hill terrain would have to be a challenge...no? (Fla...flat land...not to muddy...probably)What width of tires are you running?

preston39":1y3toert said:
============
flaboy,

Not knocking your tractor size...it's a good all around intermediate one. I was just giving a relative safe size.
But, i think you would agree for the inexperenced(which was the intent of my post) it would be pushing the safety limits way out.
Rough...muddy..up hill terrain would have to be a challenge...no? (Fla...flat land.. :lol2: :lol2: .not to muddy. :lol2: :lol2: ..probably)What width of tires are you running?

Flaboy:
I forget when was it you finally got your hay in?

preston39:
You and Dun are both 100% dead on to advise those with no experience to match the job to the equipment.

I've been in the market for a used tumble bug for awhile. Haven't been able to find one in my area.

New ones I've priced at Tractor supply sell for $995, the local feed store has one for $750 and I found one at a new feed store about 30 miles up the road for $450.

preston39":oawpavcc said:
flaboy,

Rough...muddy..up hill terrain would have to be a challenge...no? (Fla...flat land...not to muddy...probably)What width of tires are you running?

I didn't take it as a knock against my old Ford. It is an industrial tractor not a farm tractor though. 15 inch wide on back. If I need something bigger I have that also.

Muddy??? I have some of the slickest blue clay mud you can find anywhere. My next tractor will be 4x4. I am NOT in a sandy area hence my problem of getting all my hay in.

I could tell you stories about loads and how I carried them but I don't want to put BAD ideas in anyone's mind.

dj":1ef9oqnj said:
Flaboy:
I forget when was it you finally got your hay in?

I still have hay to cut. Probably another 50-60 5x6'rs is my guess. Could do more but don't need it. I have about ~200 large bales now but would like to get this one field cut. No frost yet fortunately (knock on wood). We got 4 inches of rain at the farm last week and with my blue clay soil the tractors will just make a mess in the fields.

I baled about 50 the week before Thanksgiving and haven't been able to get back in the fields since due to rain. My rye is doing well though. I don't know too many folks cutting this late.

A6gal":2qf9nj3e said:
I've been in the market for a used tumble bug for awhile. Haven't been able to find one in my area.

New ones I've priced at Tractor supply sell for $995, the local feed store has one for $750 and I found one at a new feed store about 30 miles up the road for $450.

If they're the same as I've seen at TSC (painted black instead of yellow) then I think they are a tumblebug knockoff. They don't seem to be put together quite as well. Around here a new tumblebug will run about $1100. If your local feedstore has a true tumblebug for $750 then I'd snatch it up. $450? is that used?

$450? is that used?

No, it's not used, but it is the wench type and is home-made. It is the one I ended up buying. It's not fancy, but gets the job done.

A6gal":152n92xl said:
$450? is that used?

No, it's not used, but it is the wench type and is home-made. It is the one I ended up buying. It's not fancy, but gets the job done.

Does the wench also take care of household chores? Or is she strictly for the hay moving?

dun

dun":2hzvn7ka said:
Does the wench also take care of household chores? Or is she strictly for the hay moving?

dun

Dang you are good Dun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A6gal":2rjbqrda said:
$450? is that used?

We have one like that which my father bought many years ago. I just put the third winch on it. The locking pawl malfunctioned on the original winch and almost cost my father his forearm when the handle beat the crap out of it before he could pull away. I hope yours has the new auto-brake type winch.

dun":3b2mchp1 said:
A6gal":3b2mchp1 said:
$450? is that used?

dun

I would think a really good wench would do both. ;-)

the wench type

Left myself open for that one didn't I! :shock: I thought something didn't look right when I typed that word. Leave it to you guys to catch it!!!! Some of you are heartless. :oops:

the handle beat the crap out of it before he could pull away

I am careful. I had a similiar experience many years ago, almost broke my wrist, didn't but sure felt like it.

Latest posts