Round 2 Ike

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":9co4u7q4 said:
backhoeboogie":9co4u7q4 said:
Caustic Burno":9co4u7q4 said:
We got hammered by Ike not a fence standing, and I got off lucky tornadoes took out of a lot peoples stuff.

The news showed a bunch of cows running loose. It kind of reminded me of the brush fires here when we rounded up a bunch of livestock and fed them for a few days on my place.

I hope you get a fenced pasture together soon and round up everything. Then you can breath and get things done (put back) the way they ought to be.

Got one pasture fence up good enough to contain cows, three more to go. Dang cows are as wild as turkey's scared of everything that moves. Finally got them in the pasture this morning after they had calmed down.

An aunt sent me an email. We have some second and third cousins missing down in the golden triangle. (you probably remember the specific place). It seems some evacuated and the others didn't. The ones that didn't are missing. We aren't all that close but they are good folks and family nonetheless. I am sure we'd be really close if we lived closer together. Dad was close to them.

HuuuWeee, are we having fun yet. One barn gone, one bull dead. It would have to be the best one on the place. Patching fences, just nail that wire to the trees left standing. Trying to take care of my elderly parents, and keep them cool. Then I get to see the idiots on tv hollering about how they need water, food,and gas, and the dang storm hasnt even quit blowing... Dang I thought our folks here in Texas would be a bit more reliant, but fraid not..............bunch winniebrats. I even had one sh_ _ try to steal gas out of my tank....I have to admit I thought about dropping a dime on him, but waited till the law got there.... Ohh well, time to get back to the fence mending. If any of you folks want to help, get hold of you representatives and tell to get some gas an diesel down here. We dont need it free, but we need it down here. Take care folks... C.B. how long is Sheco telling you, before you get power????

houstoncutter":209qbmxd said:
HuuuWeee, are we having fun yet. One barn gone, one bull dead. It would have to be the best one on the place. Patching fences, just nail that wire to the trees left standing. Trying to take care of my elderly parents, and keep them cool. Then I get to see the idiots on tv hollering about how they need water, food,and gas, and the dang storm hasnt even quit blowing... Dang I thought our folks here in Texas would be a bit more reliant, but fraid not..............bunch winniebrats. I even had one sh_ _ try to steal gas out of my tank....I have to admit I thought about dropping a dime on him, but waited till the law got there.... Ohh well, time to get back to the fence mending. If any of you folks want to help, get hold of you representatives and tell to get some gas an diesel down here. We dont need it free, but we need it down here. Take care folks... C.B. how long is Sheco telling you, before you get power????

We have crews putting up the lines today, I talked to one of the guys and he said a couple days for us. We are lucky in there is a substation to our north and they are running from there heading south. I haven't left the place in a week or so, but I am going to have to go to town and get some more fencing supplies. I know it has to be nuts with all the evacuees and everyone trying to get fuel. I still have about 300 gallons of diesel to run the generator, truck and tractors.

Ya'll hang tough. From what I've seen on the news of people working together, I gotta hand it to you, it sure is good to know that you Texans still have backbones and know how to sweat and take care of themselves instead of playing the blame game. My hat's off to you! Good luck and take care. :tiphat:

Caustic Burno":1bt8a46h said:
We got hammered by Ike not a fence standing, and I got off lucky tornadoes took out of a lot peoples stuff.

Good to see you made it through Caustic, I thought you would get the east side. Seems like we've been through this before in 2005. Katrina hit us, and Rita hit you. This year Gustav really hit us hard (we got the east side of the eye), electricity off for almost 2 weeks. Every fence had some sort of damage - one time where having small paddocks to graze rotationally hurts you with fences down. I actually lost twice as many trees with Gustav than Katrina. Pecan trees I could understand, but Gustav blew down healthy oak trees. Always amazing to see a tree completely toppled - roots and all.

Looks like we'll have the mother of all bonfires within a couple of weeks. I'm having to call a big dozer in to get the big trees moved, there's just too many to cut.

JDI":unn29a0a said:
Well,
We let the trailer at around 2:00 pm...we had a MOTEL RESERVED in Winnie just to get out of the trailer. Had a 5 1/2 month old embryo calf in trailer & the dogs. went to motel & they had evacuated & no one notified us & we slept in the seat of the trucks for the storm. Left the trailer & calf at 11:00 & spent 3 hrs. getting 6 miles to the land & trailer house. Trailer house gone!!! 2001 mustang under water, over 4 ft. water still in my 20ft. container, helped 2 Chamber county officers rescue the constable out of the attice of his house about 2 mi. south of my house. White's ranch had 6000 hd. still in marsh when storm hit...last I heard the had found 14 head....cattle are everywhere by the hundreds...will try to up date as we get time!!!
Hang in there. Hope all the family's ok

Red Bull Breeder":1sa4smw3 said:
Hey Houstoncutter i was wondering when you were going to poke your head up. Glad to here you all right. Bulls barns and fences can be replaced.
Its been interesting, very thankful for the cool front, of course its what steered the storm to us in the first place.....Iwas real happy to get the puter up today, tired of watching the boob tube at night and watching people bi_ _ _ , cause they were too stupid to stock up provisions......What you wanna bet they had plenty cigs and beer and dope.....I still want someone to tell me where it says that water has to be in a plastic bottle

houstoncutter":1c86zjgx said:
Red Bull Breeder":1c86zjgx said:
Hey Houstoncutter i was wondering when you were going to poke your head up. Glad to here you all right. Bulls barns and fences can be replaced.
Its been interesting, very thankful for the cool front, of course its what steered the storm to us in the first place.....Iwas real happy to get the puter up today, tired of watching the boob tube at night and watching people bi_ _ _ , cause they were too stupid to stock up provisions......What you wanna bet they had plenty cigs and beer and dope.....I still want someone to tell me where it says that water has to be in a plastic bottle

:lol: :lol: When Katrina hit my wife and I bought a truck load of bottled water and carried it to the devastation. We checked in with emergency people and they told us where to begin handing it out. Another guy brought ice. Two old women pulled up and got ice but began driving off without water. Emergency personel stopped them and reminded them to get water. The two old women told them they had plenty of water cause the were drawing water from the artisian wells. :shock: I drove 14 hours cause they said they needed water and they got a friggin artesian well!

cypressfarms":2whgztt7 said:
Caustic Burno":2whgztt7 said:

Good to see you made it through Caustic, I thought you would get the east side. Seems like we've been through this before in 2005. Katrina hit us, and Rita hit you. This year Gustav really hit us hard (we got the east side of the eye), electricity off for almost 2 weeks. Every fence had some sort of damage - one time where having small paddocks to graze rotationally hurts you with fences down. I actually lost twice as many trees with Gustav than Katrina. Pecan trees I could understand, but Gustav blew down healthy oak trees. Always amazing to see a tree completely toppled - roots and all.

Looks like we'll have the mother of all bonfires within a couple of weeks. I'm having to call a big dozer in to get the big trees moved, there's just too many to cut.

We had 130 mph winds in Rita and 80 in Ike. Ike took at twice as many trees we seemed to have more tornadoes with this storm. My sister lives in Lufkin sixty miles north of me and looks as bad there. Son lives in Midway between Crockett and Madisonville they are telling them mid October for power. This storm was huge.

We had 130 mph winds in Rita and 80 in Ike. Ike took at twice as many trees we seemed to have more tornadoes with this storm. My sister lives in Lufkin sixty miles north of me and looks as bad there. Son lives in Midway between Crockett and Madisonville they are telling them mid October for power. This storm was huge.
Hope they at least get the grocery stores and gas stations running so people can get food and whatever. We were out of electric for a week a year or to ago and you would be suprised how quick people run out. (ice storm) I bet the price of generators has skyrocked, they did around here. I got one and got it started and the electric came back on that afternoon. Good luck and I'm sure you all will take care of each other.

Caustic, glad to see you made it through. I know this ain't the time but you remind me of that gofer-rat in the movie Caddie Shack. At the very end of the movie Bill Murry did everthing to get rid of him. That gofer was stuburn and tough enough to keep coming back. At the end the gofer poked his head up smoking from the explosion and looking like he had been crapped out over a bluff by a grissly bear, then the music started "I'm alright don't nobody worry about me"

backhoeboogie":376f1hqs said:
All of my family has been located. The ones that stayed swam out and made it to Lufkin.
Boogie...glad your folks are now all accounted for. My daughter over in East Texas said it was pretty bad even up in that area....70-80 mph wind and a lot of those tall pines down and some buildings down. Electricity out everywhere. We have plenty of gas around here and the prices are pretty much back down to normal.

Caustic Burno":1hcntwz6 said:

IKE is a storm that will go down in history.
Still packing 80 mph winds when he got to Indiana. I have trees down everywhere. First hurricane I have ever seen in these parts.

It is my understanding the power has been restored to all of Burleson County. Not sure if it has been restored to Grimes County.

Bama":1r18jst7 said:
Caustic, glad to see you made it through. I know this ain't the time but you remind me of that gofer-rat in the movie Caddie Shack. At the very end of the movie Bill Murry did everthing to get rid of him. That gofer was stuburn and tough enough to keep coming back. At the end the gofer poked his head up smoking from the explosion and looking like he had been crapped out over a bluff by a grissly bear, then the music started "I'm alright don't nobody worry about me"

Now thats funny.
We are blessed here everyone is OK, nothing but some trees and barb wire down with a little tin here and there ripped off. Momma's green house looks like someone threw a stick a dynamite in it.
The people that have real problems are to our south in High Island, Boliver,Galveston etc.
News today was looking for pasture for 1000 head of rescued cattle off the salt grass country.
Today I was cutting up a down red oak and in the branches was a five dollar bill I wonder where that came from.

CB, I'm glad ya'll are OK. Greenhouse and all can be rebuilt. BTW, I'm pretty sure that five dollar bill is mine. I, uh, spent most all of my economic stimulus package on beer and cigarettes but was saving $5.00 to buy lottery tickets and it just vanished. :oops: