Rotary Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

i just dont like having all the weight of an 8 or 10ft mower on the 3pt.plus the fact the tail wheel hitts the ground 90% of the time.an you might as well shredd without letting your 3pt down any.

bigbull338":35mfbila said:
i just dont like having all the weight of an 8 or 10ft mower on the 3pt.plus the fact the tail wheel hitts the ground 90% of the time.an you might as well shredd without letting your 3pt down any.
That whole sentence doesn;t compute in my feeble brain. The tail wheel should be on the ground more then 90% of the time, like almost 100%, that's made to carry the weight NS what takes a lot of the weight off of the 3 pt.

I bought a 8' 3 pt and love it. I wanted a 10' but due to tractor size, 64hp 55hp @ PTO, would have opted for a pull type if I went that big. I rent a couple of places and don't want to haul the tractor and then have to tow the mower. I like being able to load the tractor on the gooseneck with the mower attached.

If you're buying a pull type the difference in necessary HP isn't that much different from 7'-10'. Time is money for me.

dun the tail wheel rolls on the ground with the shredder in the up position most all the time.let the shredder down a little an itll scape the pastures.

bigbull338":c010d0m1 said:
dun the tail wheel rolls on the ground with the shredder in the up position most all the time.let the shredder down a little an itll scape the pastures.
The wheel isn;t adjustable for height? I haven't seen one that wasn;t adjustable in years.

I wouldn't ever want a 3pt bushog bigger than 6 foot. I have always thought that the bigger 3pt's were kinda hard on a tractor compared to pulling one the same size, just my opinion.

denvermartinfarms":20elrdx1 said:
I wouldn't ever want a 3pt bushog bigger than 6 foot. I have always thought that the bigger 3pt's were kinda hard on a tractor compared to pulling one the same size, just my opinion.

I think if you match up the bushhog with the size and hp of the appropriate tractor its no issue at all... This is what I typically use and used today.

bigbull338":2g28wya9 said:
you cant adjust the wheel on my bushhog.an its less than 15yrs old an looks new.
What make/model is it. Sounds more like a finsihing mower then a bushhog

skyhightree1":1fggraew said:
denvermartinfarms":1fggraew said:

I think if you match up the bushhog with the size and hp of the appropriate tractor its no issue at all... This is what I typically use and used today.

To me that's overkill, nothing wrong with it, just way more than needed and not an option for most people with 3pt brushogs. I really don't have any problem with 3pt hogs, there just not my preference. If I had to pick between a 7ft pull type and a 10ft 3pt I would still take the bigger one.

skyhightree1":132sygi0 said:
Yea, I like having plenty of hp on a mower and honestly I dont want to try that mower on my older tractors.
How big is the mower?

Here even in this steep rough country, alot of us pull 15ft bat wings with 80 to 100hp tractors. Most people useing 8 or 10ft hogs are pulling them with 60 to 75hp tractors, that's where I get my logic on why the pull types are better, at least around here.

10 foot - Gotcha, I am sure my older ones JD 3020 4020 can pull it fine but they also have no cab... not that im above using cabless but ever since I had heart issues and got put on meds me and the sun don't get along so well.

skyhightree1":2y3sqp69 said:
10 foot - Gotcha, I am sure my older ones JD 3020 4020 can pull it fine but they also have no cab... not that im above using cabless but ever since I had heart issues and got put on meds me and the sun don't get along so well.
Cabs with air are great! I may sound like sissy, but I have no problem admitting that I love staying cool and dust free when haying and brushoging!

denvermartinfarms":1gy2zrd8 said:
skyhightree1":1gy2zrd8 said:
Cabs with air are great! I may sound like sissy, but I have no problem admitting that I love staying cool and dust free when haying and brushoging!

Yea I used to have no issues with open platform. I still do from time to time but not often or my wife flips out lol

we mow with a 10ft 3pt mower on a JD6420 cabbage patch tractor and a 14ft jd 3pt mower on anything from a JD4640 2wd up to a JD 8225R
I have ran 3pt and pull type I prefer pull type
Would love to have a Schulte 40ft batwing but the price is the factor of why we don't have one

Same here... I prefer pull types hands down. IF your tractor can handle it get the 9-10 Bushhog pull mower. The wider the better. I have logged a lot of hours with one behind and old Ford 5000. Its a beast.

Im currently running a Woods 15' batwing behind a 90hp JD. Reclaiming some land at a lease place that hasn't been shredded in years. I think this Woods is probably my favorite followed by Bushhog.

JDshredding_zps0ae0eb93.jpg

denvermartinfarms":8xqmtuuu said:

I would say a round bale on the 3pt weighs more than any 3pt mower. And I've never picked the front end of the tractor off the ground with a mower on it.

John SD":2jg4basp said:
denvermartinfarms":2jg4basp said:

I would say a round bale on the 3pt weighs more than any 3pt mower. And I've never picked the front end of the tractor off the ground with a mower on it.
I don;t know how much it weighs but my 8' burshhog brand sure made the back of my Ranger truck sag when I hauled it in to have a gearbox rebuilt. Turned out it was cheaper to just replace the gearbox then rebuild the old one. Parts would have costed me more then the new box and the labor I paid to have it put on.

skyhightree1":2sv1up2m said:

Sun doesn't bother me that much, but I have both heart and lung issues and allergies. Dust and pollen just about kill me, especially if I'm mowing kochia at exactly the "right" wrong stage. :yuck:

Latest posts