Rotary Mower

Help Support CattleToday:

John SD":2dt1t1as said:
skyhightree1":2dt1t1as said:
10 foot - Gotcha, I am sure my older ones JD 3020 4020 can pull it fine but they also have no cab... not that im above using cabless but ever since I had heart issues and got put on meds me and the sun don't get along so well.

Sun doesn't bother me that much, but I have both heart and lung issues and allergies. Dust and pollen just about kill me, especially if I'm mowing kochia at exactly the "right" wrong stage. :yuck:
I had a small area I needed to hog yesterday so I used the open station tractor with the 6' JD. Made me wonder if putting the bigger mower on the other tractor wouldn;t have been a good idea for that little dab. Most of the year it's left on the tractor for the driveway and the small hard to get to places. And I dont't have to get the junk off of it between mowings since I don;t care if it rusts out or not.

skyhightree1":3uuteq2f said:
10 foot - Gotcha, I am sure my older ones JD 3020 4020 can pull it fine but they also have no cab... not that im above using cabless but ever since I had heart issues and got put on meds me and the sun don't get along so well.
why don't you just put a canopy on them.

heath":2if90npx said:
skyhightree1":2if90npx said:
A canpoy is just good for sun and rain, doesn;t have any affect on the dust/pollen/seeds/etc.

dun":1wwl402i said:
heath":1wwl402i said:
skyhightree1":1wwl402i said:
A canpoy is just good for sun and rain, doesn;t have any affect on the dust/pollen/seeds/etc.
Exactly, he said his issue was with the sun.

the tractors we use are open station.an personally i dont like being in a cab tractor because i cant hear the equipment run.but if i get another tractor in the future itll be a cab with a buddy seat so the great nephews can ride with me.only 1 of the opem tractors has a canapy on it to block some sun an rain.

John SD":ja9g9871 said:
denvermartinfarms":ja9g9871 said:
I wouldn't ever want a 3pt bushog bigger than 6 foot. I have always thought that the bigger 3pt's were kinda hard on a tractor compared to pulling one the same size, just my opinion.

I would say a round bale on the 3pt weighs more than any 3pt mower. And I've never picked the front end of the tractor off the ground with a mower on it.
Yea but the way I see it, is your not going to pick up a bale and drive around a field for 10 hours a day as fast as your going to be pulling that brushog.

heath":6gwe139x said:
skyhightree1":6gwe139x said:

It isnt just the sun its extreme heat too.

skyhightree1":31iqom9i said:
heath":31iqom9i said:
skyhightree1":31iqom9i said:

It isnt just the sun its extreme heat too.
Yes it is the heat. Also the dust and pollen especially when baleing is enough for me to like a cab.

Brute 23":2jl197xn said:
You can hear every thing you need to with a cab.
Yes you can, I wondered when I was getting my first cab tractor how it would be, but if you have something wrong you will at least notice a different sound.

Brute 23":qlxfz6ih said:
I've been down that road. Congestion, blowing black stuff out your nose for days, itching red eyes, mud in the bottom of the shower, raw kneck from the dirt rubbing against your collar.... No thanks.
And it's just as bad of feeling every time, it don't ever get better.

I use a Bush Hog 10 1/2 ft semi mounted. Lift arms raise the front and hyd cylinder raises the back.
works better than batwing in our smaller odd shaped pastures. Not hard to pull at all with 85hp.

denvermartinfarms":ga37aidy said:
skyhightree1":ga37aidy said:
denvermartinfarms":ga37aidy said:
I wouldn't ever want a 3pt bushog bigger than 6 foot. I have always thought that the bigger 3pt's were kinda hard on a tractor compared to pulling one the same size, just my opinion.

I think if you match up the bushhog with the size and hp of the appropriate tractor its no issue at all... This is what I typically use and used today.

To me that's overkill, nothing wrong with it, just way more than needed and not an option for most people with 3pt brushogs. I really don't have any problem with 3pt hogs, there just not my preference. If I had to pick between a 7ft pull type and a 10ft 3pt I would still take the bigger one.
the overkill is in your wallet....it takes a whole lota diesel to move those iron horses around

Angus Cowman":2nxa5dvj said:
Brute 23":2nxa5dvj said:
You can hear every thing you need to with a cab.
after running cab equipment for yrs I believe you can hear the equipment better because you don't have all the background noise to contend with

Good point. Especially with a shredder. I'm paying more attention to what feel in my seat than what I hear.

A 4440 on a 6' shredder is highly adequate. LoL Same job equipment could be done with a 50-60hp tractor. I have shred some nasty stuff with a 10' bush hog and 60 hp Ford 5000. I'm using a 15' with a 90hp right now. :tiphat: More power (Tim Allen grunt)

James T":1ossij62 said:
Nice rig. Looks like you have a whole lot more horses to spare!

Thanks so far anything I have put in its path it ate it. I also agree about being able to hear while in the cab in my opinion the cab makes me pay closer attention to the implements.

denvermartinfarms":2b2f3kxo said:
John SD":2b2f3kxo said:
denvermartinfarms":2b2f3kxo said:

I would say a round bale on the 3pt weighs more than any 3pt mower. And I've never picked the front end of the tractor off the ground with a mower on it.
Yea but the way I see it, is your not going to pick up a bale and drive around a field for 10 hours a day as fast as your going to be pulling that brushog.

I have always driven faster picking up bales vs mowing. With the Major I drove in 2nd gear with the mower, 5th with the bale carrier. 9600 is 3rd with mower, 7th with double baler carrier. 3 and 7 are actually the same gear on the 9600. 3 is low range. 7 is hi range.

Maybe my mower is dull, but I don't go over 3 mph with it or it doesn't do a clean job cutting. Mowing road ditch also requires I need to watch for unforeseen obstacles like culverts! With bales in an open hayfield I can go 5-10 mph if the hayfield allows.