Rotary Cutter for Pasture Clipping

Help Support CattleToday:

We've run several different types over the years, in row cropping and pastures. Here's been my experience:

Stay away from Terrain King (if they're still even made, I think they might have got bought out by Servis) The thing did nothing but tear up boxes. You'd rebuild one and the next one over would go out, seemed like one box would tear up the other one and back and forth ya go...

Bush hogs have always been a tough dependable shredder. Have a 6 foot and a 13'6" solid deck. Only gripe I ever had was the support structure on top and smooth underneath. End up with big piles of crap on top that gets wet and rusts the deck to heck. I've never been into the gearbox of the 6 footer at all, and we used it for about 15 years shredding cotton and milo stubble @ 6 mph with a 60 horse tractor, sometimes pulling so hard the tractor nearly overheated, but it's never given a lick of trouble in the gearbox. I've cut a lot of brush with it too. Had to replace the deck plating, put it on top this time and it's working a lot better now. The 13-6 unit we bought used and it was a little rough, had some gearbox trouble and driveline trouble but that's not uncommon with a 3 spindle unit batwing or no. Cut a lot of crop stalks with it and probably overloaded it some, but nothing that can't be fixed. These are the older gearbox styles that mounted on an angle iron pedestal. I've had good luck with them, can't say much about the new ones that bolt directly to the deck.

We've got a Woods 10 footer that we use exclusively on pasture. It's a good cutter and have had no trouble at all with it. The slip clutch is a little weak for a 70 horse tractor but it works. When I cut pasture I usually cut low anyway and start when stuff is on the big side. It has a torsion bar running between the two spindle boxes to a center box from the PTO. The deck is smooth top and this really saves on rusting and crud accumulation.

The El Cheapo King Kutters are ok for an 8N or something, but anything with more horsepower and anything other than minor clipping one step above a lawnmower will tear em up fairly quickly. A lot of them are hard to get parts for as well. We had a "Brave 5" 5 footer for our 2310 Ford (bout 30 horse) and it worked for a few years and then the frame cracked and the box twisted up the deck. Cut it up for scrap.

Be careful with cutters-- you get what you pay for! Good luck! OL JR :)

msscamp":3aa7zpjh said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":3aa7zpjh said:
Personally, I would not buy any cutter other than a Rhino....

I have a medium duty 8-Ft Rhino TW-96 model and have been VERY satisfied. It can cut anything I can drive over.

Best cutter I've ever used.

We've got a Rhino, too. That cutter is older than I am, I think, it's the only mower I've ever seen Dad use, and it's still going strong!

I agree if you don't have a Rhino you don't have much of a cutter.

I went to the Rhino website and found two dealers that are not too far away. They have a lot of 6' and 7' wide "FE" units in stock since the drought has hurt sales.

They want $500 more for the 7 footer. That is a lot of money to me but I don't enjoy driving tractor. Will I regret buying a 6' wide unit to clip 40 to 80 acres per year?

Stocker Steve":2u47gbz7 said:
Will I regret buying a 6' wide unit to clip 40 to 80 acres per year?

Yes you will. That extra foot seems to be more like 2 or 3 when you get done cutting that much sooner.

dun

Stocker Steve":1wmp2owt said:
They want $500 more for the 7 footer.

If you are trying to maintain 40-80 acres, the fuel/time savings the extra foot of cutter will provide will MORE than offset that $500 extra cost in pretty short order.

If you've got enough tractor for the 7-foot model, I think you'll forget about that extra $500 in not too much time after you start using your new cutter.

he is right youll be glad you got the 7ft shredder.i bought a new 6ft bushhog last yr for $1800.he wanted $2100 for it.

OklaBrangusBreeder" If you are trying to maintain 40-80 acres said:
I have been cutting the coverted row crop ground with a self propelled swather once a year to keep the weeds in check. I have also been spot spraying fence lines and 48 acres of permenent pasture but I am getting tried of that. The turkey litter I have been using to build up the soil also promotes the weeds, and I feel bad about the interseeded clover. It seems like the best clover grows in a clump of thistle...

I know a clipped pasture looks and yields better. Any estimate how much more grass growth (in percent) that you get from clipping once a year?

bigbull338":agpv3prq said:
he is right youll be glad you got the 7ft shredder.i bought a new 6ft bushhog last yr for $1800.he wanted $2100 for it.

Brush hogs are spendy. The best deals on 6' around here are Kutter Kings with shear pins ($799), then the SE slip clutch Rhino models ($1,400). Even old 7' sickle mowers go for as much as $800.

I have been watching the auction bills, but the only rotary cutters I have seen lately are 5' wide units.

Stocker Steve":2dle7r32 said:
bigbull338":2dle7r32 said:

Brush hogs are spendy. The best deals on 6' around here are Kutter Kings with shear pins ($799), then the SE slip clutch Rhino models ($1,400). Even old 7' sickle mowers go for as much as $800.

I have been watching the auction bills, but the only rotary cutters I have seen lately are 5' wide units.

The main thing to watch for on auction cutters is the gear box. The majority of them I see have no oil in the gear box, those alwasy make me leery. It's almost as if some folks have never heard of lubricant

dun

dun":3euj6dnz said:
The main thing to watch for on auction cutters is the gear box. The majority of them I see have no oil in the gear box, those alwasy make me leery. It's almost as if some folks have never heard of lubricant

dun

I was told by a dealer to keep the gear box full of grease and you will never have a problem. I have one that I have done that to and one that doesn't leak that I keep gear oil in. Both work fine and when I feel the gear box after use they are about the same temp.

flaboy-":1qeuorwf said:
dun":1qeuorwf said:

dun

I was told by a dealer to keep the gear box full of grease and you will never have a problem. I have one that I have done that to and one that doesn't leak that I keep gear oil in. Both work fine and when I feel the gear box after use they are about the same temp.

That's the whole deal. Lubricant is cheap, but you don;t know how long it was run without when you buy one used. Saw one that the geere box was half full of water and no lubricant. I'll bet that baby held up for a long time.

dun

My pastures are irregular shapes. Steep. Hard to mow efficiently because of the turns.
Buy the widest mower you can afford. You gain a tremendous % decrease in time spent mowing.
I run a MD315 Woods. I've abused it tremendously and I spend on maintenance. But all in all it has been a good mower.
Whatever brand--buy wider. :idea:

We have a 15 ft batwing Rhino, good cutter. The only problem we've had was one of the wheels fell off a couple years ago. Welded the support back on and been working like a charm since then.

I have owned JD and Bush Hog brand cutters. I have now switched to Brown (Model 472) and it is doing a terrific job. I would highly recommend Brown mowers for anyone neeeding a heavy duty cutter.

In Australia we have a similar device we call a slasher
a 4ft one wouldn't have a back wheel at all and the diff unit drives a single rotating cutter with a blade on each side 1/2 " thick and 3 ' wide.
The thing has adjustable slides on the side and quick hitch 3pl

As you go bigger they put rear wheels on same as yours but I hav'nt seen a diff setup like those mentioned here.

Do you have something else you call a slasher or are we talking about the same thing?

tytower":pqu586ow said:
In Australia we have a similar device we call a slasher
a 4ft one wouldn't have a back wheel at all and the diff unit drives a single rotating cutter with a blade on each side 1/2 " thick and 3 ' wide.
The thing has adjustable slides on the side and quick hitch 3pl

As you go bigger they put rear wheels on same as yours but I hav'nt seen a diff setup like those mentioned here.

Do you have something else you call a slasher or are we talking about the same thing?

By your description it's the same thing. They range in size from smallish ones that are about like a large riding lawn mower but tractor driven to folding (batwing) jobs with multiple blades. There are both pto powered ones and pull types that are ground driven, i.e. tires rolling on the ground that provide the power.
Rotary cutter, brush hog, shredder, all are pretty much common names in different areas for the same thing.

dun

I have tried tearing up Daddy's Rhino TW72 with my IH 444 diesel. Can't do it.
The slip clutch has saved the cutter and tractor many times. I know when the yaupon are too thick when I smell clutch burning.
The machine is incredible. It has survived running into stumps just tall enough to catch the front guard and bring the entire system to an abrupt standstill. I had to replace one front guard last month.
For going through any unknown area, or forested areas, I wouldn't use anything less than the Rhino.
DDH

Latest posts