Romagnola Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
For those that get the "Cattle Today" paper, did anyone look at the Romangola cattle? I can't say that I have ever seen one before. They appear to have some of the Piedmontese cattle make up or genes and are really heavily muscled. I like their hindquarters. They are saying that they bring good money at the market. They are a white haired cattle with black skin. Anyone here raise or know more about the cattle? The articles are all positive toward the breed. It makes me wonder if there are any drawbacks.

Chuckie":2xa1xpjt said:
The articles are all positive toward the breed. It makes me wonder if there are any drawbacks.
Most articles are written by someone promoting the breed.

la4angus, The paper is definitely promoting the breed. I wondered if anyone here actually had experience with them. I am not sure where these cattle originated from. Or maybe it was a crossing of other cattle. I pick up either Piedmontese, Brahman or Chiania. But then, none of these breeds may of been used. But I will say they are a heavy cow. I like the looks of them. I wonder what the buyers think about them. Of course the article says they go after them.

Chuckie":37j2c45x said:
I wonder what the buyers think about them. Of course the article says they go after them.
Corner some of the buyers at your local auction barns and ask if they have many orders or better yet any orders for them.

I visited Cherokee Hills in Tennessee where they raise Romangolas, they are similar in appearance to our Piedmontese and there is an explanation of their origin on their website. http://www.americanromangola.com

Piedmontese have the mystatin gene and are double muscled but it does not appear at birth, this allows for calving ease. The calves develope the DM at about 4 to 6 weeks. This breed does really well in cross breeding programs. There are packers that are begging for them. There are also premimums offered. You may want to look at the PAUS website for more information.
http://www.pauscattle.org
Or if you Google both breeds I am sure you will find lots of information.
Good luck with your decision.

la4angus":2f9flooj said:
Chuckie":2f9flooj said:
The articles are all positive toward the breed. It makes me wonder if there are any drawbacks.
We finally agree on something. I tried the romagnola several years ago on angus - they were starting a rom-angus association within the breed. BAD MISTAKE. They will put a muscle on even a Jersey, I know- I bred one of the bulls to a jersey. The calving ease is a lie - even got the cherokee owners wife to admit they starve the cows pre-calving to get those low birth weights. Mine all ran 100+ lbs. Talk about wild- those calves never met a fence they wouldn't try to jump, but their sires were just easy going cattle and I have culled for years on attitude with my angus. Killed all the steers - good carcass, but the heifers were typical high growth cattle - only 1/2 would breed, when all my angus were bred, even left the bull in for fall calves and the remainder still only a portion ever bred. TERMINAL ONLY CATTLE, and keep your calf pullers handy. Heat resistance with out the ear and navel discount. What ever color the cow is - that is the color of the calf -even saw holsteins, hereford, etc - you can spot calf and dam very easy. Been there - done that - have the Tshirt - ain't going back.

There was a Mennonite slaughter house not too far from here. They were pushing the people to raise the Piedmontese because of the lean beef. So, several people purchased some of the cattle to do business with the slaughter house. For some reason, the deal fell through. I am not sure if the slaughter house went out of business or they moved.
So now the people have Piedmontese cattle. They kept crossing them with other cattle, but they still looked like the Piedmontese, but black. The buyers here do not like them. To be honest, I do not know why unless they think they might have to pay more for them. They like to dock for fat weight like in heifers. Right now I have a freezer full of the meat, and it tastes like Jersey beef. It is tender and less fat. Even the steaks are delicious. Around here, these cattle (Romagnola) are not known. But still, it is a nice looking breed of cow. I like the muscling on the Piedmontese personally. I like the way they are filled out, mostly thier rumps.

Chuckie":1ml8hy8r said:
There was a Mennonite slaughter house not too far from here. They were pushing the people to raise the Piedmontese because of the lean beef. So, several people purchased some of the cattle to do business with the slaughter house. For some reason, the deal fell through. I am not sure if the slaughter house went out of business or they moved.
So now the people have Piedmontese cattle. They kept crossing them with other cattle, but they still looked like the Piedmontese, but black. The buyers here do not like them. To be honest, I do not know why unless they think they might have to pay more for them. They like to dock for fat weight like in heifers. Right now I have a freezer full of the meat, and it tastes like Jersey beef. It is tender and less fat. Even the steaks are delicious. Around here, these cattle (Romagnola) are not known. But still, it is a nice looking breed of cow. I like the muscling on the Piedmontese personally. I like the way they are filled out, mostly thier rumps.

Those folks that have Pied crossed cattle need to contact the PAUS office as there are folks begging for those cattle. Paying premiums to get them too. And if they have black Pied influenced animals the market is hot for them in Montana. Piedmontese is naturally lean and tender and low in fat and cholesterol.

Larry Sansom":avxnn45d said:
la4angus":avxnn45d said:
Chuckie":avxnn45d said:
We finally agree on something. I tried the romagnola several years ago on angus - they were starting a rom-angus association within the breed. BAD MISTAKE. They will put a muscle on even a Jersey, I know- I bred one of the bulls to a jersey. The calving ease is a lie - even got the cherokee owners wife to admit they starve the cows pre-calving to get those low birth weights. Mine all ran 100+ lbs. Talk about wild- those calves never met a fence they wouldn't try to jump, but their sires were just easy going cattle and I have culled for years on attitude with my angus. Killed all the steers - good carcass, but the heifers were typical high growth cattle - only 1/2 would breed, when all my angus were bred, even left the bull in for fall calves and the remainder still only a portion ever bred. TERMINAL ONLY CATTLE, and keep your calf pullers handy. Heat resistance with out the ear and navel discount. What ever color the cow is - that is the color of the calf -even saw holsteins, hereford, etc - you can spot calf and dam very easy. Been there - done that - have the Tshirt - ain't going back.

I'm glad to see you chime in here, Larry. The Rom advertisement supplement with the Cattle Today newspaper contained your endorsement. I wondered if you were still using them.

Larry, do you know if others in the Cattle Today Romagnola promotional piece had similar problems to yours? Are they still raising the Rom cattle?

Frankie":nrwkyx7q said:
Larry Sansom":nrwkyx7q said:
la4angus":nrwkyx7q said:
Chuckie":nrwkyx7q said:

I'm glad to see you chime in here, Larry. The Rom advertisement supplement with the Cattle Today newspaper contained your endorsement. I wondered if you were still using them.
Guess I'm going to have to tell them one more time to forget my name on those cattle. I was in the early deals - several years ago - but now I just throw that advertisement away when it comes in. One thing about that group - they can promote, but you cannot believe anything they say.

UG":5fcb8mdx said:
Larry, do you know if others in the Cattle Today Romagnola promotional piece had similar problems to yours? Are they still raising the Rom cattle?
Have no Idea - I have not read that advertisement now for years - sold the 2 Romagnola bulls in 2001. The article was written on me from a phone interview as the calves were just being weaned - I had no experience except to see some very well muscled calves weaning at good weights.

Larry it is good to hear from someone who actually had experience with the cattle. I was not going to buy any, but I just saw the piece in the magazine and wanted to hear what others said about them that weren't endorsing them. Thanks for your input. There are two ways of learning; 1. hands on experience. 2. ask questions.

Latest posts