Right Now Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

choward2955jd

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Right Now Mineral?
Did you like the mineral?
What is the best mineral to use?
Chris Howard Kentucky

I have and love it. I mostly use the Emerail with IGR. Put it out just befor green up in the spring and befor the flies are out. Use bronze in the winter and they make a transition mineral for when I wean calves.

This is our first year with the cargill "right now" mineral and the cows and calves seem to have done well on it. They went through alot at first and I had to set out some salt to control consumption.

I use the right now Emerald in one mineral trough, nutrena all purpose with altosid in another. Working well as far as I can tell.

We use it and the cattle eat it well. Our local dealer doesn't carry it with the IGR though, wish he did. It's a little expensive here, but not as expensive as not using it!

fit2btied":1qgjjodm said:
We use it and the cattle eat it well. Our local dealer doesn't carry it with the IGR though, wish he did. It's a little expensive here, but not as expensive as not using it!
This should be testimonial enough to convince anyone who is skeptical that it does have value. Usually, manufacturers don't throw millions of dollars down the tubes if there is NO value derived therefrom! Skeptics should contemplate BOTH sides of the coin. If you consider the facts realistically - if a product will not perform as advertised, the resulting lawsuits would bankrupt the manufacturer! - -and the stockholders!

We should THINK a little farther down the line - rather than express knee-jerk reactions - on MOST subjects!

Take, for example, . . . . . . . . . ;-)

DOC HARRIS

This should be testimonial enough to convince anyone who is skeptical that it does have value. Usually, manufacturers don't throw millions of dollars down the tubes if there is NO value derived therefrom! Skeptics should contemplate BOTH sides of the coin. If you consider the facts realistically - if a product will not perform as advertised, the resulting lawsuits would bankrupt the manufacturer! - -and the stockholders!

We should THINK a little farther down the line - rather than express knee-jerk reactions - on MOST subjects!

DOC HARRIS[/quote]

So are you saying that products that are advertised are the products we should use?

KS Cattle":1p63scqn said:

DOC HARRIS

So are you saying that products that are advertised are the products we should use?[/quote]

Of COURSE! Would you go out and buy a new $200,000 Combine if you had never seen an advertisement about it? Would you buy a new truck, at any price, if you had never seen it advertised? I am also NOT saying that you should only buy products that are NOT advertised! I bought a watch from a guy with an overcoat full of watches hiding in an alley in Skid row one time, and it worked fine - for three days! When I went back to complain and get my money back - why - I couldn't find him! Can you imagine that?? I was disappointed! Did I learn anything? Why - OF COURSE! Live and learn. Some of us only live.

DOC HARRIS

I tried the right now mineral and found that after I put a bag in I needed another one Right now. :) They ate it like candy. The salt content was a little too low. I went back to My MSU beef cow mineral which was invented by Dr. Harlan Ritchie at Michigan state. If I am not mistaken, .

I have also used Kent 365, ADE and High mag with the raincoat.

The MSU mineral works good in one of Dun's Roundup barrel mineral feeders. It has no raincote and cakes when wet.

We use a lot of Right Now Mineral, bronze, emerald in the spring when we feed silage and until the grass hardens up.

We fed the bulls onyx, that might be overkill though.

We will use as much mineral as the cows will eat, they level out in July. But from December until July they really scoff it down.

SEC":o5jh9ira said:
We use a lot of Right Now Mineral, bronze, emerald in the spring when we feed silage and until the grass hardens up.

We will use as much mineral as the cows will eat, they level out in July. But from December until July they really scoff it down.
And . . .do your cows stay in good condition, and produce for you?? ?? ??

DOC HARRIS

We switched to it about 3 years ago after we came up with a bunch of open cows, this cured our mineral problems. Calves in the feedlot overconsumed the miner so we started mixing in trace mileral salt till we got the desired 3oz/hd/day. Like stated before it is a little expensive but way cheaper than not using it. Cow condition went up, conception rates went up, we AI yearling heifers (and cows) but really noticed the conception rate on the heifers get better after switching to the right now product.

IMO if they eat alot of it they need it. They could be in need of something more than just mineral.

KMacGinley":23lvesix said:
I tried the right now mineral and found that after I put a bag in I needed another one Right now. :) They ate it like candy... The MSU mineral works good in one of Dun's Roundup barrel mineral feeders. It has no raincote and cakes when wet.

When we first started using it we had the same result for the first couple hundred pounds and then consumption leveled off. We use Dun's design also but haven't had any problems with the Right Now caking up - we also haven't had enough rain to make it cake up! :) :(

We've been on Cargill's RightNow program for a year and a half......have been looking for some time for a mineral that is palatable and that our cattle will maintain a uniform consumption. They will pig out at first but the secret is to keep it in front of them at all times and not run them out! It's not cheap........we're paying 24.00 (Can.) a bag for emerald at present. How does that compare to your area? It is a good product and we have seen a lot of later calvers catch up in their breeding cycles.

If you read the label, it is around 13% salt, it is that low for a reason, to sell you more mineral. I had no problems with my MSU, so I went back to it. I have always fed a good mineral, conception rates, just fine thanks, cows in good health. The reason I tried it, was a new feed store was having a two for one sale as a promotion. Won't use it at full price, without adding a couple lbs of salt per bag.

DOC HARRIS":33uy6ipl said:
SEC":33uy6ipl said:

And . . .do your cows stay in good condition, and produce for you?? ?? ??

DOC HARRIS

They sure do.

Biggest thing with Mineral is that they actually have enough dry matter in front of them in the first place.

cowsense":1bnnrrjm said:
We've been on Cargill's RightNow program for a year and a half......have been looking for some time for a mineral that is palatable and that our cattle will maintain a uniform consumption. They will pig out at first but the secret is to keep it in front of them at all times and not run them out! It's not cheap........we're paying 24.00 (Can.) a bag for emerald at present. How does that compare to your area? It is a good product and we have seen a lot of later calvers catch up in their breeding cycles.

The Emerald is $21, the all-purpose with altosid is $14. That's from the Nutrena plant in Lumber City, Ga.

We pay $25 for the Emerald w/ IGR. Mine don't eat as much in the winter, when we are feeding hay. But then they are on a more consistant diet. At times in the spring they really scarf it down, but then it levels off. My friend adds a bit of salt to it to hers. Cattle are healthy, weights are good, and everyone is bred. Can't ask for a lot more than that. Also no sick calves this spring.

Latest posts