Mineral feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
What types of mineral feeders do y'all use? I want Something they can have access to and it can be kept dry as possible as well as clean as possible.

I have bought type feeders, plastic wind type . Problem I've had with them are the bases rusting out on them quickly. I'm talking 3-5 years . Maybe I'm expecting too much ? I build my own out of treated lumber and put a metal top over them . I'll post a pic later . I do have 2 of the ones that the cattle have to raise the rubber flap to eat salt . Jury still out on those for me .

Last edited:
Some good ideas here and I thank you for the feeders presented in the photo. I am dropping the protein tubs for now as my hay and cotton seed are enough with what pasture grass they have left. Now if I can find some good mineral close to me I going to make some changes. I notice in one feeder some loose salt. Is that better than salt blocks? Also I keep a sulphur block out for my cows now should I continue with the sulfur blocks and switch to loose salt as shown?

Some good ideas here and I thank you for the feeders presented in the photo. I am dropping the protein tubs for now as my hay and cotton seed are enough with what pasture grass they have left. Now if I can find some good mineral close to me I going to make some changes. I notice in one feeder some loose salt. Is that better than salt blocks? Also I keep a sulphur block out for my cows now should I continue with the sulfur blocks and switch to loose salt as shown?

Im gonna bet you can find loose sulfur also but never seen anyone use it.
Actually im not sure what sulfur salt is used for. Anyone have comments?

If I am not mistaken, and it has been awhile... I think sulfur/salt helps with absorption of B vitamins, and maybe something to do with helping to utilize iodine???? I always heard that it was good to help with amino acids and all to break down foodstuff in the rumen... and it is useful if you feed much urea..... We have used them some in the spring for help to make the skin/blood taste bad to external parasites....(not proven one way or another) but parts of the country have high sulfur content so can be toxic to a point...

I notice in one feeder some loose salt. Is that better than salt blocks?

The first thing to do is to speak to a good, local veterinarian. They will know if there are any local mineral deficiencies in your area. You might also talk to a local extension agent. Ag schools are also a good source of information. Don't be shy about asking questions from people that should know. You can also have tests done, specific to your own acreage.

The point being, the most expensive minerals you will ever buy are the ones you really don't need. And in business like raising cattle, it's easy to spend your way out of business.

I always used salt blocks because they were cheap and they lasted a long time. When cattle need trace minerals the key word is trace. Any deficiencies are measured in part per million, and almost always in single digits per million. That means maybe a teaspoon or less of trace mineral over the course of a year. Hell... maybe over the course of a cow's lifespan.

When these people selling minerals mix their batches they will dump in a dimes worth of trace mineral and by the time you buy it, it's $30. But they will tell you that their minerals, mostly salt, are necessary to the health of your cattle.

And maybe they are right... but often they are just selling fear.

You can be smart enough to check, or you can just buy their expensive "cheap insurance".

The first thing to do is to speak to a good, local veterinarian. They will know if there are any local mineral deficiencies in your area. You might also talk to a local extension agent. Ag schools are also a good source of information. Don't be shy about asking questions from people that should know. You can also have tests done, specific to your own acreage.

The point being, the most expensive minerals you will ever buy are the ones you really don't need. And in business like raising cattle, it's easy to spend your way out of business.

I always used salt blocks because they were cheap and they lasted a long time. When cattle need trace minerals the key word is trace. Any deficiencies are measured in part per million, and almost always in single digits per million. That means maybe a teaspoon or less of trace mineral over the course of a year. Hell... maybe over the course of a cow's lifespan.

When these people selling minerals mix their batches they will dump in a dimes worth of trace mineral and by the time you buy it, it's $30. But they will tell you that their minerals, mostly salt, are necessary to the health of your cattle.

And maybe they are right... but often they are just selling fear.

You can be smart enough to check, or you can just buy their expensive "cheap insurance".
This makes lots of sense. I know my county agent pretty good and I have a retired vet I can question. I wish he hadn't retired but we still have a decent relationship. He had a bunch of cattle but now down to less than 10.

If I am not mistaken, and it has been awhile... I think sulfur/salt helps with absorption of B vitamins, and maybe something to do with helping to utilize iodine???? I always heard that it was good to help with amino acids and all to break down foodstuff in the rumen... and it is useful if you feed much urea..... We have used them some in the spring for help to make the skin/blood taste bad to external parasites....(not proven one way or another) but parts of the country have high sulfur content so can be toxic to a point...
In a time long ago, I remember us putting out a blocks of salt(?) that was a light yellow color, and it was supposed have sulfur
in them to discourage ticks, lice etc.

Not sure the nutritional value of the yellow sulfur blocks but my grandpa G use to say they helped with fly control. I strongly recommend loose mineral over blocks . Your cows will consume more than licking a block but you want them to get the minerals they need . You can still offer a yellow block or any other type for a variety. Mag salt/ mineral is important during grass green up to help prevent grass tetany . I'm currently using a garlium ( garlic oil ) additive in my loose mineral to help with fly control. Jury still out on that .
Others say blocks are the way to go because your cows will eat less . The best advice I've seen on here is talk to your vet . If you have a good extension agent, they are a good place to ask . I trust my vet over the county extension guy . Good luck on your journey in cattle !

Last edited:
View attachment 38644Not mine but similar. You can make it as big or small as you want . Plus I like building things like this .
How tall is this from ground to bottom of roof? I have a goat hay rack i built a few years ago that could be converted to something like this. It's on skids so it can be moved easily if needed,

I'm not sure , I've seen them more open and more closed depending on keeping mineral from getting wet . Also I've seen it with one of the wide sides closed with plywood. We get a lot of wind and the first one I built blew over twice . Lots of plans on the internet if you put in wood mineral feeders for cattle

I'm not sure , I've seen them more open and more closed depending on keeping mineral from getting wet . Also I've seen it with one of the wide sides closed with plywood. We get a lot of wind and the first one I built blew over twice . Lots of plans on the internet if you put in wood mineral feeders for cattle
Thanks, I'll look that up.